Media ugliest. knife. ever.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would think it is an indication of a hollow.

If the edge has been sharpened, the cladding hasn't been wrapped around. What you're actually seeing is a spot where the cladding was thicker (due to a probable hollow) and to grind out the cladding so close to the edge would shorten the height of the blade.

Glestain has gone too far this time.

gle-415tk-front-1080x-progressive.jpg

Dimpled honesuki 🙄

Ah, must be the long awaited Chelsea/Kramer collab.
Certainly a collab, but an idea that came to one of the participants in a 'dream'. From the looks of it, I would say a nightmare is more appropriate or borne of a drunken stupor.

I’d buy that, if there was $3k in my wallet not earmarked for anything else. Craftsmanship looks stellar, definitely a unique piece IMHO. It’s not like I only buy knives that my kitchen requires.

That's some gorgeous feather Damascus. Shame you couldn't actually cut anything with it as presumably it would be tremendously uncomfortable at the pinch, but certainly an interesting piece of art when viewed as such.

In all seriousness—if I had to blow $3k USD on kitchen knives right here and now, and my only two options were the Lisch x Siminsky knife; or a 240 Kato & 240 Shigefusa gyuto bundle—I'd hands down take the Lisch x Siminsky.

FWIW, I already have the Kato/Shig, but although they're good knives, they're—like most of the gyutos I have—tightly bound to tradition in form, as are most J-knife makers, and western makers inspired by J-knives. The Lisch x Siminsky looks like it would be fun to have on the cutting board in my kitchen.

The two makers in the collab have enough street cred/expertise to pull it off—which a newer maker probably couldn't.

Authorship in knives are important to me, this one screams it. Cooler the more I look at it—60s era spin art meets Shang Dynasty Bronze.

Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 11.23.09 AM.png

I actually don't mind the look either; aesthethically it's fine; I'm a sucker for feather damascus and even if it's not my favorite I can get behind the steampunk / industrial look.
It's just... incredibly unpractical and a nightmare for cleaning. And probably very unergonomical to boot.

Lisch could probably pull off a feathered damascus monolith where he forges out the handle as well. That would be something to see. This one loses me with the rivets

If you left it as-is, would there be a risk of rust transfer from the “bolster” to the blade in a humid environment? It feels like a weird choice to leave it rusty.

I’d want to remove the rust if I was the owner, but you’d never know if it was still rusty underneath, where it makes contact with the blade. Making that whole part out of the same feather damascus would’ve upped the cool factor by an order of magnitude.

If you left it as-is, would there be a risk of rust transfer from the “bolster” to the blade in a humid environment? It feels like a weird choice to leave it rusty.

I’d want to remove the rust if I was the owner, but you’d never know if it was still rusty underneath, where it makes contact with the blade. Making that whole part out of the same feather damascus would’ve upped the cool factor by an order of magnitude.
If it were mine, I'd leave the rust, gives character like the rust on a Richard Serra sculpture. Rustic.

That feather dammy is wild—would look cooler once it goes through a lot of kitchen usage and a few sharpennings.

Beat this

Attachments

• 4F6F36B4-067D-4DE0-96A0-C162B103CF5B.jpeg
    4F6F36B4-067D-4DE0-96A0-C162B103CF5B.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • F518002B-F2C9-4245-A6D1-31C4CDBC144C.jpeg
    F518002B-F2C9-4245-A6D1-31C4CDBC144C.jpeg
    762.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 70BBDACD-76DC-45EE-B3C8-93915054BFAD.jpeg
    70BBDACD-76DC-45EE-B3C8-93915054BFAD.jpeg
    586.5 KB · Views: 0
  • E24499CF-C86F-4BEC-AD56-860C4E060124.jpeg
    E24499CF-C86F-4BEC-AD56-860C4E060124.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 99C9DB86-FE6A-4EE1-8412-8282DD33D417.jpeg
    99C9DB86-FE6A-4EE1-8412-8282DD33D417.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Whoa! That's very cool. Are the two sections very different types of steel? What brand are those cleavers?
Made by small shop called Deng Zhong in Guangxi province, they said the knives are made by welding tobacco knives from factories to a iron back plate, not sure what exactly the steel are. Members in my group chat said those are really common among fishmongers, tho he’s not impressed with geometry or edge retention, better than most massmarket stainless tho. The blade is really just super thin piece of metal with edge on it. Funnily you can actually buy some of them on AliExpress, I’d advice to stay away from the other offering in that store, some of the them are known ****** stuff in Chinese circles.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0VKhWA

Güde - the knife
Ugly enough that I wouldn´t use it and also so thickkk it is hardly usable.
Maybe as some kind of western deba.
It won a design award which just goes to show what we knew all along: tastes are different.
Looks like someone stuck a big matchstick into a block of metal.

Güde - the knife
Ugly enough that I wouldn´t use it and also so thickkk it is hardly usable.
Maybe as some kind of western deba.
It won a design award which just goes to show what we knew all along: tastes are different.
Looks like someone stuck a big matchstick into a block of metal.
Good Design and Red Dot are kind meaningless since they just slap it on everything. That said that taper looks good tho, a funny looking axe.

Latest posts

Back