UHMW for cutting board

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Netvine

Reaction score
Hello Board, I could not find mention of this, I hope it’s appropriate. My friend works on a fishing boat as a processor. It is Japanese owned with Japanese techs. The Techs and more experienced processors all use what I know now is a Deba with a wa handle to head the fish at an alarmingly fast rate. He said they all use only UHMW cutting boards. Is this suitable for my home cooking situation? I’m a little afraid to use any of my harder cutting boards after reading the forum. What is the most sanitary economical option for High Carbon and or Aus8? As this is my first post I hope I did not make any faux pas. Respectful thanks in advance.

I order quite a bit of UHMWPE for my company. I use it to make parts like guides for rail systems or anything that runs against metal and needs to be wear resistant. Assuming it’s true UHMW and not just polyethylene I would think they use it more for its durability then anything. Stuff tears up carbide blades in my shop like nothing and have to use abrasive water jets to make detailed cuts. I would never use any of my knives on the stuff except maybe a heavy cleaver or an axe. Could legitimately chop wood on the stuff. I would go the rubber board route if you wanted something you could put in a dishwasher or wood.

Back