UK chap in need of an upgrade (pans)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ge0rge3boy

Reaction score
I am currently using cheap non stick pans my family brought for me when I first brought my property, and now feel it’s the time to upgrade.

I’m going to start off with a carbon steel frying pan and SS sauté pan.

- Currently using a Zanussi electric cooker
- Medium range budget
- Pan size? Cooking most nights for 2 people but once per week 4/5 people

From browsing the forum, it’s seems my best bet for a carbon pan is to go with De Buyer, but I can’t decide what would be be out of the mineral b or carbon plus for my needs.

Uses: Searing meat and veg, frying etc.

SS sauté pan is where I am really stuck. Struggling to find what would be best for on an electric stove, medium price range and easily accessible from UK. I have read a few comments for Paderno, but they have so many different versions it has become confusing.

Any help of advice would be greatly appreciated, and please ask more questions should you require any more information.

GH

One possibility for a stainless sauté pan in the UK under £80:

Proware 24 cm tri-ply stainless sauté

The same item at the same price is sold on amazon.co.uk as well.

Note I've never used this brand but it's easily available and looks reasonable

PS - Don't bother with their copper-coated ones - there isn't enough copper on there to be useful.

Last edited:
My most used De Buyer is the 28 cm model... I have 24 and 32 as well and use them a good amount, but the 28 sees enough use that I recently bought a second one.
Between the carbonne and mineral B mode.... you're paying extra for a silicone dot in the handle, a slightly better finish that you're not going to notice after seasoning, and a beeswax coating that you gotta scrub off anyway. So personally I'd always go for the cheaper carbonne model if whatever pan you're looking for exists in that line.

When it comes to stainless.. that's a tough one because none of the 'usual recommendations' like deMeyere or All-Clad (hard to find in Europe in the first place) really drop down that far in price. You'll end up shopping in the category of cheaper brands. Personally I've been pretty satisfied with the Ikea Sensuell line... worked well even on a crap stove, but it might not be in the size or shape you're looking for. It's also a bit handle heavy (tips over pretty easily when empty).
Sitram Pro-Sup series has often been a 'bang for your buck' recommendation, but it might require some digging to find them in store; you'll only really find them in restaurant supply stores.

Since I am now cooking for 2 given COVID-19 I have switched to 10-inch pans with good results. I have also down sized my pots to 6 and 8 quarts instead of 12 quarts. If I cook for more people, I use my larger pans and pots.

I am buying US made pans now since I will not buy Chinese any more. They may be hard to find but I bet De Buyer and some of the other EU brands should be on your side of the pond. I have a 12-inch De Buyer carbon pan and it is very nice maybe a little big for 2 people.

Last edited:
Cuisinart MultiClad Pro 30 cm sauté

is under budget with a pretty good reputation and quite large

For two people it's too big IMO, unless you're the type for "let's make extra and not need to cook again tomorrow"

For days with guests it would start to make sense. Your choice I guess on which way you prefer to go.

The Cuisinart "French Classic" series is maybe better made but is significantly over budget.

Last edited:
I was using bigger pans and pots and finally decided I was tired of eating the same thing for 2 or 3 days maybe even 4 days. In the end I started throwing the extra away and wasting food so that is when I decided to down size my cooking to smaller pans so I had almost no left overs. It is hard for me to make this change but I am learning. I still over buy food but I am figuring out different ways to use the same ingredients for different recipes. This is part of the reason for me being on this forum.

I sure look forward to throwing a big party sometime in the future.

UK options for a SS saute... Bourgeat is a go-to for a budget and really decent pro-quality pans. A number of these are in daily use at home! Tradition plus is a bit nicer that the Excellence (better handle, more metal on the body in case you prang it) but there's not much in it for home use. You find decent secondhand or ex display on ebay quite often. E.g. there's a 28cm Excellence for 40 quid currently, which is a great deal, and indeed a 20cm Tradition Plus for 60. 24cm is probably ideal, but you could just as well go for a 20cm and 28cm combo, which would easily cover your needs.

Last edited:
Back