Ume

Discussion in 'Support' started by ecchef, Jul 11, 2018.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Jul 11, 2018 #1

ecchef

ecchef

ecchef

Staff Member Founding Member

Why is the letter string “ume” being censored out?
    That being u m e.

2. Jul 11, 2018 #2

idemhj

idemhj

idemhj

Probably because ume, that is u m e, is the name of a line of stones which cannot be mentioned either, but this whole censorship thing is kind of stupid. You are a Staff Member, so can’t you do something about it?

3. Jul 11, 2018 #3

niwaki-boy

niwaki-boy

niwaki-boy

member SR. Supporting Member

There are a lot of these asterisk strings showing up tonight all over the place. One for 'Japanese' where J-a-p is ***and another where a response in bst recommending to use 'yo' in the title and t-i-t was*** ... but the bst it was corrected sometime after. Thing is the post doesn’t say edited. There’s a few more as well.. somethings up

4. Jul 11, 2018 #4

ecchef

ecchef

ecchef

Staff Member Founding Member

Not tech savvy enough to. We have a dedicated ‘computer geek’ for that kind of stuff.

5. Jul 11, 2018 #5

chinacats

chinacats

chinacats

It was mentioned that these censored words were brought from the old forum but I never saw assume censored or Japanese. Something was done incorrectly when they were implemented (or software is not well qc'd by the coders) or this wouldn't be happening. Must admit it's pretty freaking funny.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  6. Jul 11, 2018 #6

esoo

esoo

esoo

7. Jul 11, 2018 #7

daveb

daveb

daveb

Staff Member Administrator

I'm the furthest from a computer geek of anyone you know. But. Appears this software censor will pick up on a letter string whereas the previous only picked up specific words. With apologies to all that might be offended "a s s" would have been picked up previously but "a s s h a t" would not. Now even "a s s u m e" is being censored.

I personally don't like the autocensor but don't want this to turn into a "redditt" environment where all the kids are learning to swear.

8. Jul 11, 2018 #8

chinacats

chinacats

chinacats

Yes but the funny party is that the u m e is left off while the a s s stands proud:)

9. Jul 11, 2018 #9

Nemo

Nemo

Nemo

SR. Supporting Member

I must say that I thought it was pretty funny when cir***stances was censored in a Jnat thread.

10. Jul 11, 2018 #10

daveb

daveb

daveb

We're all proud of you Jim:cool:

11. Jul 11, 2018 #11

Angie

Angie

Angie

The old censored words were specific. I'll revisit the words entered from the old list.
    Hang in one day please.

12. Jul 11, 2018 #12

daveb

daveb

daveb

Way back when I had a real job we had to work with spell check picking up parts of words and changing them. Similar to what's happening with censor now. Work around was space, word, space so if used by itself the word would be caught but if included within a word it would not. " ume " That's (u m e)

This was more than a few years ago. If work around does not work then I think j a p, u m e, c u m, can all be left in.

13. Jul 11, 2018 #13

Barmoley

Barmoley

Barmoley

SR. Supporting Member

I don't understand why preemptively censor in the first place. Is swearing on this forum a real problem? If it becomes one then deal with it, moreover there are work around to sircumvent the censor anyway, so why bother.

14. Jul 11, 2018 #14

Angie

Angie

Angie

As I said above. These were words in the old censor. I will revisit later today, as it takes some time as this forum had more censored words and variations than I've seen anywhere else. Live with it for a few hours. Please.

15. Jul 11, 2018 #15

Barmoley

Barmoley

Barmoley

SR. Supporting Member

I know you will fix it my question is why you are doing it in the first place. Was there a problem between the upgrade and turning on autocensor, that requires the censor.

16. Jul 11, 2018 #16

Angie

Angie

Angie

I had to copy the censored words from the old forum, and put them into this format by hand as the area for the censored words is formatted differently. So, restoring the old to the new was a manual action.
    Auto Censor is what I fill it in to be. It comes empty.

17. Jul 11, 2018 #17

Godslayer

Godslayer

Godslayer

Can we just remove censorship from all words .I mean this is a us based forum and if you guys like your first amendment like you like your second amendment this should be a no brainer. I mean they are only words, I mean sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me seems like something you pre millenialsm would be all over.

18. Jul 11, 2018 #18

Angie

Angie

Angie

I do plan to keep a few of the censored words. This is a privately owned forum, so censorship is allowed. But I'll back it off a lot.

19. Jul 11, 2018 #19

panda

panda

panda

O.G.

I kind of like it, I find it comical.

For example cu-min gets the stars, hahaha
    Also I never understood why j@p was one of them in the old forum.

20. Jul 11, 2018 #20

Barmoley

Barmoley

Barmoley

SR. Supporting Member

Sorry Angie:) I'm not making myself clear I was asking why censor in the first place not the technical intricacies of what you are doing.

21. Jul 11, 2018 #21

Angie

Angie

Angie

Because that is what this forum has had, and because a lot of gentlemen loose their cool and talk like a person with no controls suitable for mixed company and not suitable for a website that is to appeal to all types of folks. There are forums that have no censor and they die when the lower vocabulary people decide to use the World Dictionary of nasty and insulting words. So, there is some censoring. And if you cannot talk about knives and how to make and sell them without most of what is censored, I wonder about you.

22. Jul 11, 2018 #22

daveb

daveb

daveb

Barmoley, The original (before my time) forum software came with the capability to autocensor and a blank slate for words to apply it to. Some basic profanity was added to keep this a family environment and some competitive products were added as well, i.e. "u m e". Old (and semi-old) timers will remember that CKTG was at one time autocensored. We've relaxed this some over time and only now are looking at the full spectrum of "words" that are on the slate.

Do we need it at all? is a valid question and I think is the one you are asking. Personally I think so - the internet is pretty anonymous and folks may use language that is not appropriate here. I prefer autocensor to warnings and bannings. Again personally I don't think it needs to be applied to products, sites, or anything beyond profanity.

The autocensor was just turned on last nite and it had some unexpected results. How it will be applied will be a call for the mod team and the site owners to make in the end. It's being reviewed as we speak. As Angie has noted across the forum, pls let us get this sorted.

23. Jul 11, 2018 #23

Barmoley

Barmoley

Barmoley

SR. Supporting Member

Of course, you should do what you feel is right for the site. I was just curious if you saw such bad behavior between the times you upgraded the software and last night when you turned on autocensor. Censor is so easily defeated that it seems pointless to use it, if someone wants to curse they can easily do it. I agree with Angie that using profanity when discussing knives or anything else for that matter says more about the person using it and this is valuable information. Anyway, I don't have the breadth of information or history that you guys have, so you must be doing it for a reason, to me it seems like a solution in search of a problem.

24. Jul 11, 2018 #24

daveb

daveb

daveb

Heard

25. Jul 12, 2018 #25

Nemo

Nemo

Nemo

SR. Supporting Member

Well put

The anonymity of the internet can sometimes bring out the worst in people. The censorship is pretty mild and as has been suggested, easy to circumvent. But it at least makes you think before posting something potentially offensive.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018