Under $100 Gyuto Gift Ideas?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Story time,

Good friend came over for thanksgiving and was going to prepare his collard greens in my kitchen for the meal. I told him he could use my knives but they would "delete a digit without hesitation" so be careful. Well, two minutes into him de-ribbing his collards he ends up slicing his index finger quite badly. I end up playing medic for him and finishing the dish. He's in disbelief that the knife did that so easily to his finger as I do not think he's ever had a properly sharp knife in his kitchen. Obviously his knife work is rough and quite unsafe so I will be teaching him how to use this knife.

Anywho, I have sent several gyuto gifts to friends/family over the years and normally just end up sending a Fujiwara FKM/Gesshin Stainless/etc. Unfortunately both of these in a 210 are out of stock right now and I am curious if there is a better alternative to a Tojiro DP or something. I could probably find something on my own but I was curious what knife you folks feel is the best value stainless gyuto these days under $100?

USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chefs knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?

Gyuto

Are you right or left handed?

Right Handed

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?

Probably western with a low maintenance pakka or something.

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?

210mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)

Yes

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

$100 before shipping/taxes.

I know this one is not stainless but SK is pretty darned resilient and the price is super attractive:
https://bernalcutlery.com/collectio...steel-tagayasan-handle?variant=43499580686557

If you think a 180 might work, these guys are pretty slicey and would likely be a major leap in performance for him:
https://bernalcutlery.com/collectio...sugu-pro-m-180mm-gyuto?variant=39677922181272Only 40mm at the heel but unless he has pretty meaty hands it should be alright.

Sorry, I know neither of those meet all your asks but thought I'd toss them out for consideration. $100 for decent stainless, 210 and a western handle is tough.

All solid responses! I was actually eyeing one of these SK vintage Hitohiros for him possibly. He's got rather large hands so I feel like once he actually learns to use a knife he would appreciate a 210.

All solid responses! I was actually eyeing one of these SK vintage Hitohiros for him possibly. He's got rather large hands so I feel like once he actually learns to use a knife he would appreciate a 210.

As I said, my SK knives are pretty resilient. As long as he'll take moderate care of it and of course keep it out of the dishwasher, he'd probably fine. Bernal has that with pakka wood handle for a touch more.

The good ol vic 8" is still a solid choice. Steel is more forgiving than harder Japanese knives. For almost everyone I know, it's already a tier higher than anything they're used to. It can take a decent edge and doesn't need to be babied.

Somewhat underappreciated, the Suisin Western Inox will tick your boxes (if price is still where i remember it). It's a good looking, quite functional, inexpensive knife. I've gifted several and they've been well received and have many occasions to use them.

Avail from Korin.

Story time,

Good friend came over for thanksgiving and was going to prepare his collard greens in my kitchen for the meal. I told him he could use my knives but they would "delete a digit without hesitation" so be careful. Well, two minutes into him de-ribbing his collards he ends up slicing his index finger quite badly. I end up playing medic for him and finishing the dish. He's in disbelief that the knife did that so easily to his finger as I do not think he's ever had a properly sharp knife in his kitchen. Obviously his knife work is rough and quite unsafe so I will be teaching him how to use this knife.

Anywho, I have sent several gyuto gifts to friends/family over the years and normally just end up sending a Fujiwara FKM/Gesshin Stainless/etc. Unfortunately both of these in a 210 are out of stock right now and I am curious if there is a better alternative to a Tojiro DP or something. I could probably find something on my own but I was curious what knife you folks feel is the best value stainless gyuto these days under $100?

USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chefs knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?

Gyuto

Are you right or left handed?

Right Handed

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?

Probably western with a low maintenance pakka or something.

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?

210mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)

Yes

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

$100 before shipping/taxes.
I purchased a knife gift for a friend, also—a Suisin Gyuto that cost around $98 (see pic). I realize the one pictured here (from Korin in NY) is a carbon steel (not stainless), but Suisin has a line of similar stainless ones also. Good luck with your search!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-04 at 4.24.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-04 at 4.24.17 PM.png
    32.4 KB · Views: 0
This thread is actually super relevant for me right now, as I want to get a friend a knife as well, looking for $80 all in with shipping, etc.

180mm-210mm, steel honestly doesn’t matter.

Some good suggestions in this thread already.

Out of the Hitohira and the Masakane, which do people prefer?

Last edited:
This thread is actually super relevant for me right now, as I want to get a friend a knife as well, looking for $80 all in with shipping, etc.

180mm-210mm, steel honestly doesn’t matter.

Some good suggestions in this thread already.

Out of the Hitohira and the Masakane, which do people prefer?
https://knivesandstones.us/collecti...-western-handle-with-free-premium-knife-guard
Better than almost anything under $100.

A bit smaller than what you want, but Murata and Kaji-Bei are great carbon knives in your price range.

Back