Underrated foods....

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I make pizza at home I tend to risk take and push the sauce and toppings as close to the edge as possible. Sometimes that means melted cheese or whatever I'm topping with over the side but that's OK. That way there is not much of the crust left to worry about :)

Some may call me crazy, but RAW sliced peppers are underrated...

I'm talking just slice off a piece of a Jalapeno, Serrano, or Thai Chili and eat it.

OR put it on top of cheese, cheese & meat, tomatoes, cucumbers, or various types of fruit.
When I eat Vietnamese (soup, sandwiches, or really anything), I like a little bowl of chopped chili peppers as garnish. Its only a half step from the conventional dipping sauce (add fish sauce and citrus). Sometimes I do the same with Mexican. Its a different flavor than hot sauce.

When I eat Vietnamese (soup, sandwiches, or really anything), I like a little bowl of chopped chili peppers as garnish. Its only a half step from the conventional dipping sauce (add fish sauce and citrus). Sometimes I do the same with Mexican. Its a different flavor than hot sauce.

^^^^ That's what I'm talking about baby!

When we make Korean BBQ we mix raw sliced garlic and sliced of jalepeno in Gochujang and put that on peralta leaf and wrap meat and onion in that with a bit of rice...

Lil slice of heaven.

Agreed, the flavor of fresh cut chilis is great.

Back home, I used to eat a bunch of fried stuff (tofu and other fritters) with Thai chilli on the side.
you eat one bite of food and follow up with the chilli (either you eat the whole thing or half of it).
since it's small you don't need to cut it.

Indonesians love fried stuff so much whenever there's a cooking oil price hike they riot :oops:

You can have almost everything from a typical fritter street vendor there, banana, tofu, tempeh, vermicelli spring roll, sweet potato, mixed veggies like a mini okonomiyaki, and stuff I can't remember, but I reckoned the best was the deep fried breadfruit. It was bloody amazing. Elvis would've stuck there forever lol ... Maybe he did

Anyway @zizirex .... I saw your dabu-dabu lilang on insta. Looking good mate! My missus said that dabu-dabu means sambal, but lilang means sliced with knife, thus roughly chopped salsa. Thus dabu-dabu rica = sambal chili. Dabu-dabu lilang = spicy salsa, more apropos to kitchen knife nerds.

Back on topic: Fish on charcoal + the above salsa + kecap manis + steaming hot jasmine rice might be one of the most underrated foods ever.

tai chillies, raw on the side... WOW...

I vividly remember that I took a heaped teaspoon of sambal at the home of a friend originating from the Moluk Islands....it was not the store bought red salty paste but home made sambal....🥵

Eating Raw chili's used as condiment can spice up a dish. Just eating a chili is more for hard core. If in your culture perhaps get used to it. I've seen chili eating contest where they keep going up in hotness levels.

Eating Raw chili's used as condiment can spice up a dish. Just eating a chili is more for hard core. If in your culture perhaps get used to it. I've seen chili eating contest where they keep going up in hotness levels.

I don't find hot, for the sake of hot, enjoyable. I don't see the point in that machismo, everyone loses on the back end to that battle-- literally! 🤪

Most of the chilis I enjoy are of a much more mild variety. When you look at the scoville scale Jalepenos and Serranos are pretty low.

But they have particularly great flavor. My favorite is Serrano.

When I use Thai, I essentially de-seed 80% since I love the peppers taste, just not an uncomfortable belly full of seeds, lol.

Plus heat so high that it masks the foods overall flavor nuances is a hard pass for me.

When we make Korean BBQ we mix raw sliced garlic and sliced of jalepeno in Gochujang and put that on peralta leaf and wrap meat and onion in that with a bit of rice...

Lil slice of heaven.
Edit: Perilla leaf.. Not peralta.

For some reason I tend to mix that up... My bad

Doh!

Yes Jalapenos & Serrano are great tasting peppers. Mexican Verde sauces are some of my favorites if made by Mexicans who can nail it.

I make chili water using Hawaiian peppers that are hot. Mash peppers, garlic, Hawaiian sea salt with stone mortar & pesto. Boil vinegar and water pour over mash store in sterilized glass bottles. I use beer bottles with the swing ceramic cap. Let sit in sun couple days to ferment than refrigerate. Used as condiment pour on food. Esp. good on Hawaiian food like Kalua pork, lau lau, chicken long rice. Broke da mouth 🤣

Svenskjävlar:

IMG_6170.jpg

Supposedly the world's saltiest liquorice, which is probably not far from the truth.

Interestingly, it is salty not because it contains a lot of salt (in fact, it contains almost none). Instead, it tastes that way because it is made with ammonium chloride.

The taste is truly extreme. Very salty on the outside, with a layer of liquorice underneath, and a soft caramel on the inside. Definitely one of those "hate it or love it" things. If you enjoy extremes of taste, such as anchovies, salty/spicy pickles, matjes herring, and similar, I recommend giving this a shot!

That looks pretty interesting - I need to see if I can find it online....

Simple stuff.
Unagi on white rice (Internet photo)
Caviar ($1.00, home made in 20 minutes)

unagi.jpeg
caviar.jpg

Most of us have spent thousands on steaks, prime rib, all that stuff. AFTER all that (cause you have to do it when you're young, right?) I'm happy with lite and cheap.

Last edited:
Svenskjävlar:

View attachment 285274

Supposedly the world's saltiest liquorice, which is probably not far from the truth.

Interestingly, it is salty not because it contains a lot of salt (in fact, it contains almost none). Instead, it tastes that way because it is made with ammonium chloride.

The taste is truly extreme. Very salty on the outside, with a layer of liquorice underneath, and a soft caramel on the inside. Definitely one of those "hate it or love it" things. If you enjoy extremes of taste, such as anchovies, salty/spicy pickles, matjes herring, and similar, I recommend giving this a shot!
Scandinavia has some wild flavors, Netherlands is also a country where salty or Salmiak 'drop' is eaten a lot.

I'm a little late to the raw chili party here, but nem chua is cool. Raw fermented pork with slices of raw garlic and raw chili, what's not to like.

Svenskjävlar:

View attachment 285274

Is this for cooking? Or like a snack?

Back