Understanding Limits

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eventually, customers benefit from more information rather than less, so it is a losing battle to try to contain it. It is understandable to try, but it is not reasonable to assume that your customers, as an entire group rather than a small supportive one, will be your accomplices in it. I wish you guys luck, though. Seriously, I do, but it is really hard to keep information like you are talking about proprietary.

I find it extremely offensive that any vendor would demand that a supplier refuse to sell to an account solely on the basis of direct competition. I would love to know who that might be , but can only guess. I have been given information freely from a number of vendors here and although I hope to learn more about sharpening , re handling and knife making, I have no desire to take business from people so willing to help me. I vote with my wallet, buy from and refer as much business as I can, to vendors who have been gracious to me. Shopping out a vender to save a few dollars is disgraceful.
I appraise rare coins and collectibles. I have learned to follow an old saying. Give away free wisdom, work and advice carefully. Some people with use that as a measure of your value and worth. I still do it , by choose wisely.

Eventually, customers benefit from more information rather than less, so it is a losing battle to try to contain it. It is understandable to try, but it is not reasonable to assume that your customers, as an entire group rather than a small supportive one, will be your accomplices in it. I wish you guys luck, though. Seriously, I do, but it is really hard to keep information like you are talking about proprietary.

I don't sell anything related to knives. My only qualification to respond is that I'm 63 years along and have seen a lot of what this post is about. The quoted post mirrors my thoughts. Try not to lose sight of the customer (potential customer). If I cut an onion in half using a Takeda AS, custom handled Kubla Khan I get two pieces. I get the same two pieces using a Rachel Ray from Ebay/Amazon. Convert one percent of those Rachel Ray customers and there will be enough for you and anybody else that wants to try his hand.

If people within this community knew the extent that some retailers go to buy up supply and pressure suppliers not to deal with others they'd be blown away. Then there's all the other crap that gets pulled in the background regarding copying, price manipulation, market flooding, etc. This is no different than what is seen in all other free markets though, it's just part of the game. Yes it's a game, one that some will play with integrity and others with a lack of scruples.

If people within this community knew the extent that some retailers go to buy up supply and pressure suppliers not to deal with others they'd be blown away. Then there's all the other crap that gets pulled in the background regarding copying, price manipulation, market flooding, etc. This is no different than what is seen in all other free markets though, it's just part of the game. Yes it's a game, one that some will play with integrity and others with a lack of scruples.

True, definitely not specific to this industry. This is the world 10x over, in every country.

And from what I observed, this is precisely how one one retailer in particular established itself.

Back