Uneven sharpening / high spots

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowtyper

Reaction score
I posted earlier about my usuba having a bit of a belly where it should be dead flat. Actually I find that its just my sharpening is uneven and it is creating high spots. Now I can notice two high spots on the knife which are pretty annoying. I figure I can just keep sharpening and concentrate on the low spots to even it out, but it seems pretty difficult to get the results I want.

Is this the right way to go about fixing this? Any tips or tricks to getting this sorted out?

Thanks so much

I haven't sharpened an usuba but in general with large bevels, I find that if I focus on one spot, I will generally make another low or high spot and end up making the whole surface wavy. I would suggest using less pressure and try to be even and consistent and your high spots will eventually sharpen out. Be patient.

Jon Broida had me use a marker when I sharpened with him. You can mark the high spots w/ the marker and when to don't see the marks, high spots are gone!

When sharpening usbas it is extremely important that all your stones are dead flat at all times during sharpening. If your stones are flat and you sharpen the front evenly and flatten the back at a minimum but as much as needed you should end up with a straight edge. It's plain geometry really. Two planes intersect in a straight line. I found my shinogi line to curve very slightly but that is the grind talking. My edge is dead straight and that is the important thing.

DarKHOeK

I haven't sharpened an usuba but in general with large bevels, I find that if I focus on one spot, I will generally make another low or high spot and end up making the whole surface wavy. I would suggest using less pressure and try to be even and consistent and your high spots will eventually sharpen out. Be patient.

yep.

pretty much this... dont focus on one area... focus on keeping the bevel even

Just curious, what's the price point of the knife? I've noticed some really bad grinds on sub $400 usubas, seems like that's a base starting point.

i've seen a lot of decent ones for less, but i do agree that usuba tend to have significantly more grind issues with lower priced knives

Yeah this type of thing that ST described is exactly the thing I dread seeing. Whenever I get a low end usuba in I go right to the straight edge to check it out so that I can assess the work needed before I hit the stones.

Back