unpopular opinion knife rolls/bags are a complete scam

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I swooped up one of the Promark ones that you linked in the OP a month ago and i LOVE it. Such a smart idea. I have been thinking about partitioning off the large slot so the knives dont move so much but honestly thats just be being picky. I honestly think its the perfect size for my needs.

I though about sectioning that larger pocket too but I’m now glad I didn’t. Things don’t move around too much in there.

8989C944-8D5C-41B5-8B70-59DD60182FDD.jpeg
D5B3E11C-D162-4F2D-A561-9B3BB8058AAF.jpeg

I didn't want to make a new thread, but this is still true.

I ordered from Darkhardt on 05/16/2021 and have been told "this week" from them since 07/26/2021. As of 09/20/2021 I still have no bag and they haven't responded to my last email request for an update.

The regular ETA is 4-6 weeks that was extended to a "we're busy" time of 6-8 weeks. So, I'm either at 2 or 3 times the waiting time with no attempts to reach out on their part and a new excuse every time I reach out myself. While some have been legitimate, I don't care anymore after getting too many of them while having half a grand held ransom.

If you've been considering one I do not recommend it. I paid upfront (with a no refund policy), ETA is just outside of filing a claim with the bank, and the owner's word has zero weight to it. Just "Sorry, [excuse here], this week!" that I'm sure will be the next response as well.

Last edited:
I would tend to agree about the knife rolls. I picked one of these up, and though it's expensive, I have been happier with it than any other knife case or bag that I've owned...

https://www.knifemerchant.com/produ...lDtn4w609PO6tQogBZ8EZchyg_x-ZzyhoCJ8gQAvD_BwE
I also own an apron that rolls up into a knife bag, which is very practical. But I hang it, I don't roll it up. I generally have 3 to 5 knives in it at any given time.

I didn't want to make a new thread, but this is still true.

I ordered from Darkhardt on 05/16/2021 and have been told "this week" from them since 07/26/2021. As of 09/20/2021 I still have no bag and they haven't responded to my last email request for an update.

The regular ETA is 4-6 weeks that was extended to a "we're busy" time of 6-8 weeks. So, I'm either at 2 or 3 times the waiting time with no attempts to reach out on their part and a new excuse every time I reach out myself. While some have been legitimate, I don't care anymore after getting too many of them while having half a grand held ransom.

If you've been considering one I do not recommend it. I paid upfront (with a no refund policy), ETA is just outside of filing a claim with the bank, and the owner's word has zero weight to it. Just "Sorry, [excuse here], this week!" that I'm sure will be the next response as well.

Maybe if you ask @Gregmega nicely, he can shave 30 min off the wait with an angle grinder. :p

Last edited:
For years before retired used global 11 pocket
roll. Was boss so had own drawer but I shared
it with a coworker. Cleavers, whips, etc. kept in drawer.

My yanagiba's & good knives would wash dry & put them in the bag. I liked because had strong nylon pockets kept things snug. Could strap on back of my motorcycle along with my leather homemade bag for ice carving chisels.

I kept it used when teaching knife sharpening
at culinary school.

Attachments

• IMG_20210920_173710320.jpg
    IMG_20210920_173710320.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 6
I definitely wouldn't trade my knife bag for a drum stick bag. Basic mercer bag or chefsac will have space for everything you need to take to work that isn't a knife.

A bit of a necro but... I bought a Promark a while ago for private non-chef usage (like spending a few weeks in my aunts house babysitting the dog) and I have to say I've been really happy with it. Dirtcheap, plenty of space, fits longer knives (like a 270 suji + saya), sturdy as hell and it just works. The ability to just hang it somewhere is also really practical.
And it's a million times more convenient than just rolling it all in a bunch of kitchen towels...

For a bigger roll, been happy with my Hardmill—well made, rugged, looks nice, fits nicely in the suitcase. IMHO, makes sense spending a bit more on a knife roll for pricey knives. Ain't gonna serve a top quality wine from cheap glasses.
05335AA7-CA6A-41B0-9C31-003E6CCBE7BE.jpg

A77CE2FE-AA3C-4D2D-A876-A0A15F1CF03D.jpg

3DC14AE5-9B68-41FC-AFD1-45D8BA24CF4F.jpg

The thing is, I'm not sure the functionality is actually better on the expensive knife bags compared to the drumstick backs. You're mostly just paying hipster tax. They actually lack features in comparison to some of the drumstick bags.

The thing is, I'm not sure the functionality is actually better on the expensive knife bags compared to the drumstick backs. You're mostly just paying hipster tax. They actually lack features in comparison to some of the drumstick bags.

Functionality is of course arguable—but I do like good materials, design, made in the USA, supporting small artisan workshops—to me, cheap stuff just feels "cheap." If I can afford a quality, handmade kitchen knife, then I can afford a well made, stylish knife roll.

For me, a Paul Smith suit is way better than a Banana Republic suit—both function the same.

Will a drumstick case hold my 300mm suji? Honest question. I was a drummer in a former life and can see the cases working for a minimal travel kit. But when I'm packing a decent amount of gear, I find my Valentich roll useful.

Functionality is of course arguable—but I do like good materials, design, made in the USA, supporting small artisan workshops—to me, cheap stuff just feels "cheap." If I can afford a quality, handmade kitchen knife, then I can afford a well made, stylish knife roll.

For me, a Paul Smith suit is way better than a Banana Republic suit—both function the same.
It all depends on your priorities, and how much you use it... but for just carrying to family a few times a year it doesn't make sense to me to spend a fortune.
And functionally the Promark is just awesome. Ability to hang it is really convenient, it has a proper zipper, magnetic closers on the handles, extra slots for small tools, extra pockets. It's really more convenient than just a normal flat knife roll (that to me is only a small step up from simply wrapping in towels).
I don't mind the nylon construction either; yes it's not as glorious and luxurious as leather, but it's plenty sturdy, and it does make it easier to add extra pockets and such.
Will a drumstick case hold my 300mm suji? Honest question. I was a drummer in a former life and can see the cases working for a minimal travel kit. But when I'm packing a decent amount of gear, I find my Valentich roll useful.
No, the promark will fit my 270 suji + saya, and my 270 gyuto + saya, but that's really the limit, longer than that would only fit if you leave the zipper open on the top.

It all depends on your priorities, and how much you use it... but for just carrying to family a few times a year it doesn't make sense to me to spend a fortune.
And functionally the Promark is just awesome. Ability to hang it is really convenient, it has a proper zipper, magnetic closers on the handles, extra slots for small tools, extra pockets. It's really more convenient than just a normal flat knife roll (that to me is only a small step up from simply wrapping in towels).
I don't mind the nylon construction either; yes it's not as glorious and luxurious as leather, but it's plenty sturdy, and it does make it easier to add extra pockets and such.

No, the promark will fit my 270 suji + saya, and my 270 gyuto + saya, but that's really the limit, longer than that would only fit if you leave the zipper open on the top.

I did look at the Promark year’s ago, but it really didn’t do it for me for several reasons: I avoid/dislike nylon and faux leather (both have a negative environmental impact); design to me was clunky aesthetically; I don’t like zippers on bags (both my knife rolls are zipper-less ); the Promark bag is manufactured in Taiwan; the logo is too prominent.

Nothing wrong with the Promark drumstick bags—they’re just not my thing. Dig how they’re lotta knife roll options from $25–$500, something for everyone.

The two knife rolls I currently have: made in USA by small workshops (I like to support the work of US craftspeople); good quality materials; simple design; rugged, functional

Yes, functionality is a given, but “cheap ’n’ functional” aren’t always my parameters when buying stuff—if it were, I would’ve stopped buying knives year's ago with my Mazaki.

In food terms—I can get a half roast duck for $12 in Chinatown, or a duck breast at the hipster French joint for $50—both are good, both are worth it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back