Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or to fry an egg if you’re not adding fish sauce.
this does not line up with my experience.

IME you want to crack the egg into a small vessel and add salt before you cook, giving it some time to absorb into the liquid of the egg.

More for omelettes or scrambled eggs. Whisk an egg with a dash or 3 of fish sauce (Squid or 3 crabs), a splash of water, a turn or two of pepper, and some finely sliced scallions if you want.

Err make that 60g of egg, 2-5g of fish sauce, 10-15g of water, 250mg pepper, and whatever a scallion weighs. 🙄

That’s fine and all, but Red Boat is the one true fish sauce
I have Red Boat, don't view it as 'the best.' Don't get me wrong, it's quality stuff for sure—but fish sauce has been a made/used throughout SE Asia, and beyond, each countries has good versions of it. Fish sauce akin to wine—each with its own characteristics. Depending on what I want, I'll switch from Vietnamese, Thai, Filipino fish sauces. There's a Denmark produced fish sauce that I've heard great things about that I'd like to try.

Last edited:
I think you need Tabasco on eggs instead of salt. Tabasco has plenty of salt.

$15 fish sauce is much too extravagant.

Now where did I leave that several hundred dollar rock …..
Think it depends on one's priorities, bank account, etc.
Some would call my Kato too extravagant.
My mom cringes when I buy organic vegetables/meats, calling it extravagant.
The Danish fish sauce I'd mentioned sells for almost $40 for 100 ml., too pricey for my comfort zone.
I love Summit woks, but consider Yamada too extravagant.
Artisan ketchup is definitely an extravagance—there's nothing better than Heinz, to my taste.

Although, I'm cheap with clothing—Levi's, t shirts, and Dr. Martens for me.

Tabasco is just red vinegar
I think it is the best pepper balance for eggs. I try other hot sauces, but I always end up back using original Tabasco.

I am with you on Heinz. For French fries nothing like Heinz and sometimes I add Tabasco to Heinz ketchup for French fries.
Hunts ketchup is too sweet to me.

Last edited:
I think it is the best pepper balance for eggs. I try other hot sauces, but I always end up back using original Tabasco.

I am with you on Heinz. For French fries nothing like Heinz and sometimes I add Tabasco to Heinz ketchup for French fries.
Tabasco fan here—such a familiar taste. When I was a kid, not many hot sauce options at the supermarket, so Tabasco ruled as the good stuff.

Our regional (but shippable) Fletcher's has almost completely supplanted my use of any flavor of Tabasco on my eggs. And don't get me wrong, I like me some Tabasco, but I love me some Fletcher's! It's very different and pretty mild but it has great flavor. My Tabasco isn't getting kicked out of the cupboard for sure but it is getting pretty lonely. :)

https://fletcherssaucecompany.com/

Tabasco fan here—such a familiar taste. When I was a kid, not many hot sauce options at the supermarket, so Tabasco ruled as the good stuff.
Well, if you think about it cocktail sauce down in New Orleans is ketchup, Tabasco sauce, dash of Worcestershire sauce, horseradish, lemon and a dash of olive oil.

You know I am hungry for some oysters now. I may have to go to Quality Seafood today to have oysters on the half shell with my cocktail sauce.

Tabasco in Bloody Marys, with smoked fish replacing the usual celery stalk.
3747338937_9ae9bb233e_b.jpg

Agree - love tabasco. It's just a familiar, spicy taste.
Just to plug an alternative which is exceptionally good with eggs: The Empirical Pasilla Sauce: Pasilla Sauce
No commercial connection , just love this sauce.

Try Formosa Sauce. I find it the best all around versatile sauce for most foods except maybe salad.

I’m guessing he’s referring to Garum which is the ancient European version of fish sauce. Garum - Wikipedia
Nordur of Denmark make a fancy version…
https://nordurco.com/product/garum/
Hmm, not sure, never heard of Garum, and this seems to be a Greek / Italian thing. We have a lot of coast line and fishing tradition in DK, but fermented fish sauce is not something I ever encountered in Danish cooking so far.

Hmm, not sure, never heard of Garum, and this seems to be a Greek / Italian thing. We have a lot of coast line and fishing tradition in DK, but fermented fish sauce is not something I ever encountered in Danish cooking so far.
Weird, in the original post I just got a link to wikipedia, but when I quoted it I got the link to Home - Norður Salt. Thanks! I need to check this out.

I’m guessing he’s referring to Garum which is the ancient European version of fish sauce. Garum - Wikipedia
Nordur of Denmark make a fancy version…
https://nordurco.com/product/garum/

Garum's been somewhat of a marketing catch phrase for the last decade IMHO—seen it used on products and trendy restaurant menus. The legendary condiment said to be immensely popular in ancient Rome. However, any contemporary version of garum is culinary conjecture—no recipes exist from the time. Food historians have been debating as to what garum really tasted like, or the methods used to make it.

The Chinatown markets I frequent have a whole bunch of fascinating fermented fish condiments, all distinctive, all composed of just fish, salt, time—some clear liquids, others a muddy mix of whole fish.

Last edited:
Back