Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree. I enjoy certain steaks on the rarer side of medium rare sometimes, but a lot of people, usually men in my experience, are super dogmatic about it - almost as if a preference for rare red meat is part of their core personality...

Great example, I was grilling short ribs recently, a cut that can definitely be tough grilled to medium rare, let alone rare. I was planning to cook them to medium as the texture is much better and they had so much intramuscular fat I wasn't at all worried about the final product being sad or dry. One of my friends insisted that his had to be medium rare tending to rare because, and I'm quoting him here, "men should know the only way to eat a steak is medium rare." He got to chew his way through a tough cut of meat while the rest of us had a lovely time with tender, flavorful fajitas.
I usually braise short ribs low and slow for a few hours. I can't imagine trying to eat it medium rare.

real talk, do some steels not get sharper than others? i know how to get most steels sharp enough, but idk how to get some of the crazy steels as sharp as hitachi paper steels. even with diamond 6000 stone and diamond loaded strop.

sounds like this opinion is getting popular for good reason: filet mignon sucks

rare steaks, eh? i think the cut and quality of meat determines how it tastes best cooked, but rare steak does kinda suck. i would rather have medium rare or medium.

how's this for an unpopular one, though: tartare is better than cooked steak! a good steak tartare is just amazing. also, ever have yukhoe? holy chit, it's outrageous. flavor power house.

real talk, do some steels not get sharper than others? i know how to get most steels sharp enough, but idk how to get some of the crazy steels as sharp as hitachi paper steels. even with diamond 6000 stone and diamond loaded strop.
There are probably theoretical differences in levels of sharpness for low vs high alloy steels based on carbide and grain size, but for knife steels doing what knives do, any steel can be as sharp as any other as long as correct tools and techniques are used. Low alloy steels are easier to get to higher sharpness especially using conventional stones, but that is not so much an inherent steel difference, but more of a consequence of the difficulty of getting there. Most of the issues I've experienced with getting something sharp is usually due to burr removal rather than being able to remove enough material.

72 hours in the sous vide makes for an excellent short rib.
From last year: 72h finished in hot oven. Some accordioning under the knife though.
CC6FA9C3-55C2-448F-9EA0-E80922677390.jpeg

rare steaks, eh? i think the cut and quality of meat determines how it tastes best cooked, but rare steak does kinda suck. i would rather have medium rare or medium.

how's this for an unpopular one, though: tartare is better than cooked steak! a good steak tartare is just amazing. also, ever have yukhoe? holy chit, it's outrageous. flavor power house.
Ribeye, in my opinion, is better at medium. Gives that fat eye more time to render.

I've never met a beef cut I didn't like—if made properly. I'd get bored eating the same beef cuts, prefer to diversify my bovine consumption.

Filet mignon is fine—a good choice for Bò Lúc Lắc (shaking beef), Steak au Poivre, Steak Tartare, etc.

Korean short ribs are usually marinated in pear or kiwi which contain protease enzymes which tenderize the meat.
That combined with the thin, flanken cut makes them tasty and tender when grilled.

Boneless short ribs are good substitute, if you can't get flanken cut short ribs,

Last edited:
Following up on the hot sauce comments. Lunch break pic of the hot sauce section of the market near my work. Shelf inches dominated by Tabasco (on 3 of 5 shelves), followed by Cholula—top two shelves shown are prime real estate.
61DFCE48-F837-4E1E-A5C4-81276997CC33.jpg

Following up on the hot sauce comments. Lunch break pic of the hot sauce section of the market near my work. Shelf inches dominated by Tabasco (on 3 of 5 shelves), followed by Cholula—top two shelves shown are prime real estate.
View attachment 232032

Can't remember the name right now and I'm out, but the green sauce to the left of the Tapatio is what the ole gal and my local Mexican market says is her favorite. I like it.

Can't remember the name right now and I'm out, but the green sauce to the left of the Tapatio is what the ole gal and my local Mexican market says is her favorite. I like it.
That's one of my faves, the green El Yucateco, a standard at lotta the taquerias I've been to—really like the brown color XXXtra version of it, but can only find it in the small bottles.

My main problem with fillet is that it's the most expensive part of the cow for the least amount of flavor. If it was cheap I'd happily toss it in the rotation, but why on earth would I pay 40 bucks a kilo for fillet when I can get hanger steak for 15, kangaroo for 15, venison for 20-25 and a million other cuts that are far tastier for less money.

My main problem with fillet is that it's the most expensive part of the cow for the least amount of flavor. If it was cheap I'd happily toss it in the rotation, but why on earth would I pay 40 bucks a kilo for fillet when I can get hanger steak for 15, kangaroo for 15, venison for 20-25 and a million other cuts that are far tastier for less money.
I'd agree with that.

I've enjoyed eating filet mignon in good steak houses, consider it a special treat—when I'm not paying. Also, appreciate the tender aspect of the cut.

When cooking at home or for a crowd (when I'm paying for ingredients), I usually go for strip steaks, top blade, hanger, flank, flap meat, etc. Cuts with bigger, beefier flavor, offering more bang-for-buck.

Value, of course is subjective.

I'd agree with that.

I've enjoyed eating filet mignon in good steak houses, consider it a special treat—when I'm not paying. Also, appreciate the tender aspect of the cut.

When cooking at home or for a crowd (when I'm paying for ingredients), I usually go for strip steaks, top blade, hanger, flank, flap meat, etc. Cuts with bigger, beefier flavor, offering more bang-for-buck.
Even when I'm not paying I don't consider it a treat. Even if it was cheaper I'd still consider it an inferior cut of beef. I'd only really start considering it if it was particularly cheap (<15 bucks a kilo).
Tenderness is IMO overrated; when cut the right way the way most parts of the cow can be eaten like steak (at least at the relatively young age we tend to consume them). I'd rather have flavor.

Even when I'm not paying I don't consider it a treat. Even if it was cheaper I'd still consider it an inferior cut of beef. I'd only really start considering it if it was particularly cheap (<15 bucks a kilo).
Tenderness is IMO overrated; when cut the right way the way most parts of the cow can be eaten like steak (at least at the relatively young age we tend to consume them). I'd rather have flavor.
I hear you. I order it sometimes to vary the eating experience—would get bored just eating ribeye, etc. Can't think if a beef cut I dislike.

I buy a tenderloin sometimes when I am entertaining. I grill the whole thing over a wood fire. It is not lacking in flavor. But I don't buy filet at steakhouses. If I have my choice I prefer a nice bone-in strip steak.

My favorite is hanger steak. Even from mediocre cows it's awesome. I'm really dreading the day when more and more people discover how great it is... right now it's one of the cheapest cuts while IMO it's the best piece on the entire cow (regardless of cost).

When eating out I usually try to go for things I don't never make myself. When I just get a slab of red meat there's a significant risk of walking away thinking 'well I could have done that better myself'... unless you really spend big.

Back