Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Soy free + gluten free is a really annoying combo... since most gluttifrutti products replace wheat with at least some soy.

If it's just soy free...then I guess just scratch asian and you're fine?

Though you really have to watch ingredients lists on all the products you use since soy creeps its way into anything these days.

I still think you'd make your life a lot easier if you just chopped up eater #3 and just had a nice bbq...

Soy free + gluten free is a really annoying combo... since most gluttifrutti products replace wheat with at least some soy.

If it's just soy free...then I guess just scratch asian and you're fine?

Though you really have to watch ingredients lists on all the products you use since soy creeps its way into anything these days.

I still think you'd make your life a lot easier if you just chopped up eater #3 and just had a nice bbq...

This is a different supper party then the one with "Eater #3." It's not for a sit down party, but a bigger, one with 25+ guests. Just a little frustrating having to second guess the menu because of a minority of eaters.

Years ago, when developing a menu to feet a crowd, I'd typically just make sure there's vegetarian options. I've since had to deal with a minority of vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free, mushroom-free, fish/shellfish-free, pork-free, no-pickles eaters.

Are eaters becoming more adverse to certain foods, or just more vocal/emboldened?

This is a different supper party then the one with "Eater #3." It's not for a sit down party, but a bigger, one with 25+ guests. Just a little frustrating having to second guess the menu because of a minority of eaters.

Years ago, when developing a menu to feet a crowd, I'd typically just make sure there's vegetarian options. I've since had to deal with a minority of vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free, mushroom-free, fish/shellfish-free, pork-free, no-pickles eaters.

Are eaters becoming more adverse to certain foods, or just more vocal/emboldened?
I’ve witnessed a surge in the incidence and severity of allergies, celiac, other autoimmune conditions over the last 40~ years.

I think it’s real and somatic, not just psychological.

I’ve witnessed a surge in the incidence and severity of allergies, celiac, other autoimmune conditions over the last 40~ years.

I think it’s real and somatic, not just psychological.
my feeling is that there are far too many folks calling out an allergy when in reality it's not...
the incidence of allergies (including food) is for sure on the rise, but even our teens try to call on allergies where the real reason is that they don't like to eat something...

'I'm allergic to puff pastry' where the underlying reason is 'I think I'll get fat eating puff pastry with all that butter in it'....which is true when eating a lot but the reasoning is nonsensical escapism that needs to be nipped in the bud ;-)

I started asking more questions when people called out food allergies when asked a few years ago, there are comfortingly few with proper allergies

1 friend of one of my daughters has a proper nut allergy, and that is basically it

don't sacrifice/stress anything for the majority of guests just to please the few. they can eat what's available or bring their own food or just not show up.

pragmatism prevails!

rather than going crazy assembling something all can eat make sure that what is there is labeled or not cross contaminated so folks can pick what they can eat/want to eat

my feeling is that there are far too many folks calling out an allergy when in reality it's not...
the incidence of allergies (including food) is for sure on the rise, but even our teens try to call on allergies where the real reason is that they don't like to eat something...

'I'm allergic to puff pastry' where the underlying reason is 'I think I'll get fat eating puff pastry with all that butter in it'....which is true when eating a lot but the reasoning is nonsensical escapism that needs to be nipped in the bud ;-)

I started asking more questions when people called out food allergies when asked a few years ago, there are comfortingly few with proper allergies

1 friend of one of my daughters has a proper nut allergy, and that is basically it
I have mild food allergies to most raw fruit and veg (broccoli w/dip, orange juice etc. make my throat itch in that particular manner) and only one serious one: those big red salmon eggs in some sushi combos. I found that one out in a rather spectacular way; thank goodness it was half a mile’s walk from the apartment we had. Hoooo what a night!

My kids don’t have food allergies and are much less picky eaters than dad. But they have respiratory and contact allergies, tested and confirmed. Their aunt is a sensitive gluten detector.

So I am inclined to default with or to the benefit of doubt.

maggi sauce is a good stand in for soy sauce, but it's not gluten free
Sorry but Maggi is definitely a (groce) product of the Mafia-Like food industry that I would never use! Artificial flavors and flavor enhancers? No, thank you!

I don’t know about English but in German one of the ingredients was called „Glutamat“ for a long time. The term got a bad reputation a while ago when people started realizing that this sh*t cannot be good and was replaced by a new, better term called „yeast extract“. Thanks, Marketing Department! That definitely sounds more natural. But it’s the same sh*t.

Seriously, why put anything in your food that you wouldn’t buy on purpose? Or do you walk into your pharmacy and ask for glutamate or yeast extract or flavor enhancers to pimp up your food? Why does food industry need to put that sh*t into processed food? Because that sh*t is cheaper (by far) than natural, high quality ingredients that you need otherwise to make food taste good.

Sorry for the rant but not sorry!

Sorry but Maggi is definitely a (groce) product of the Mafia-Like food industry that I would never use! Artificial flavors and flavor enhancers? No, thank you!

I don’t know about English but in German one of the ingredients was called „Glutamat“ for a long time. The term got a bad reputation a while ago when people started realizing that this sh*t cannot be good and was replaced by a new, better term called „yeast extract“. Thanks, Marketing Department! That definitely sounds more natural. But it’s the same sh*t.

Seriously, why put anything in your food that you wouldn’t buy on purpose? Or do you walk into your pharmacy and ask for glutamate or yeast extract or flavor enhancers to pimp up your food? Why does food industry need to put that sh*t into processed food? Because that sh*t is cheaper (by far) than natural, high quality ingredients that you need otherwise to make food taste good.

Because it tastes good.

Because it tastes good.
No. Objection, Your Honor! It tastes artificial. It tastes like any other flavor enhancer.

Back in the old days (and this is a proof that NOT everything was good in the old days) you would find that sh*t in basically most (bad) restaurants serving mediocre (at best) food that you would make taste only more generic by adding Maggi. Same taste everywhere. No, thank you! For me, that has nothing to do with cooking.

There definitly is an increase in diagnoses of allergies and autoimmune shenanigans, even beyond food; a lot more people suffer from hay fever / pollen.

What also doesn't help is that food quality has gone down and there's a lot more processed junk that's wreaking havoc on people's internals (think gut flora for example)... so more people struggle with food intolerances.

Today's wheat isn't the same as 50 years ago, and what passes for bread these days in many countries is just food fraud; very quick rise times and tons of additives. I wouldn't be surprised if many people who eat glutenfree could eat bread just fine if it was properly made with proper ingredients.

I'd go with Marcel's suggestion; just make sure there's plenty of choices and write up the potentially offending ingredients in each so that everyone knows what they can and can't have.

Personally, as someone who's also forced to be a bit of a picky eater I always hate to be a bother or a burden...but that's why I usually just fix the food. ;)

No. Objection, Your Honor! It tastes artificial. It tastes like any other flavor enhancer.

Back in the old days (and this is a proof that NOT everything was good in the old days) you would find that sh*t in basically most (bad) restaurants serving mediocre (at best) food that you would make taste only more generic by adding Maggi. Same taste everywhere. No, thank you! For me, that has nothing to do with cooking.
you should avoid chinese restaurants then, we use msg in crystal form

My unpopular opinion is that ice belongs in beer. Not every beer every time but on a hot humid day oof that like a 2x refreshing multiplier.

1718382771094.png

1718382802112.png

My mom does that crap because she really hates cheese and it bugs the hell out of me... She always says she's allergic to cheese.
So far I think only once she got the return question whether she was fine with other lactose products...

you should avoid chinese restaurants then, we use msg in crystal form
I do too....and yes I do eat Parmiggiano, since the chinese food I can buy usually contains like a heaped tablespoon of MSG versus much lower amounts of natural MSG in hard /aged cheeses etc.

I can handle any cheese, but the added MSG usually keeps me awake for a night filled with palpitations....trouble is that shrinkflation seemingly makes manufacturers use more of the stuff in many more product so I recently started taking my reading glasses to the grocerey store to read the fine print

msg is harvested from seaweed 🤷‍♂️

maggi is made by hydrolizing protein....meaning you pressure cook something with protein (soy leftovers, bones, dried blood, etc) for about 2 hours in Hydrochloric acid, neutralizing that with Sodium Hydroxide and reduce...add some herbs and that's it.

not necessarily too horrible but methinks there are simpler ways to add flavor....but for sure that takes more time.

I've never bought Maggi, but the NYC Polish restaurants usually bring it out to drizzle into my tripe soup; my wife's Dutch mom used to cook with it in Australia.

I've never bought Maggi, but the NYC Polish restaurants usually bring it out to drizzle into my tripe soup; my wife's Dutch mom used to cook with it in Australia.
Is it yummy? Should I get some?

In as far as flavor enhancers/flavor bases—when I was in Hungary the half dozen or so times I visited, Vegeta was very popular.
1440xauto_1453213703Vegeta-HU-250-g.jpg

Ingredient list;

zout, kunstmatig gedroogde groenten (wortel, pastinaak, uien, selderij, peterselie), mononatriumglutamaat, suiker, maïszetmeel, specerijen, dinatrium inosinaat, riboflavine (voor het kleurtje)

Salt, dried veggies (carrot, parsnip, Celeriac, Parsley), MSG, Sugar, corn starch, DiSodium Inosate, Riboflavine

I'll pass given my intolereance of MSG.

I recently discovered that some chip like snack now has an 'improved recipe' meaning heaps of MSG keeping me awake and now healthy by staying away from the stuff.

Latest posts

Back