Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

kennyc

Reaction score
Shun knife are marketed to folk you need the manufacture to fix their knife after they screw it up...
But exactly! Show me any other Japanese kitchen knife maker that will resolve even user error issues. I think shun is responsible for more Japanese kitchen knife adoption in North America then all the other brands combined

kennyc

Reaction score
And on a slightly related note, Kai/Kershaw has provided the best customer service I've ever received from any company in any industry

Jville

Reaction score
But exactly! Show me any other Japanese kitchen knife maker that will resolve even user error issues. I think shun is responsible for more Japanese kitchen knife adoption in North America then all the other brands combined
They prey upon the uneducated knife user. That's why their customer base is basically newbs to japanese knives. That's why they have people complaining about their shun knife chipping after they attempted to cut a chicken bone, actual review.

tchan001

Reaction score
Shun'd. Actually I've never bought one of those before. Was too expensive looking when I was using bargain basement knives. Was too cheap looking when I started buying lovelies from BST.

Vionlad

Reaction score
Fake umlauts mean real quality.

To keep things on topic, what knife would you use to vertically bisect a hard-frozen pint of Haagen-Dazs (sorry for the lack of the traditional Brooklyn umlaut)? Seriously frozen, I mean. Think chest freezer. I'd go for my heaviest Chinese cleaver at 680g.
The one I put in hot water for a second.

Last edited: