Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shun knife are marketed to folk you need the manufacture to fix their knife after they screw it up...
But exactly! Show me any other Japanese kitchen knife maker that will resolve even user error issues. I think shun is responsible for more Japanese kitchen knife adoption in North America then all the other brands combined

And on a slightly related note, Kai/Kershaw has provided the best customer service I've ever received from any company in any industry

But exactly! Show me any other Japanese kitchen knife maker that will resolve even user error issues. I think shun is responsible for more Japanese kitchen knife adoption in North America then all the other brands combined
They prey upon the uneducated knife user. That's why their customer base is basically newbs to japanese knives. That's why they have people complaining about their shun knife chipping after they attempted to cut a chicken bone, actual review.

Shun'd. Actually I've never bought one of those before. Was too expensive looking when I was using bargain basement knives. Was too cheap looking when I started buying lovelies from BST.

Fake umlauts mean real quality.

To keep things on topic, what knife would you use to vertically bisect a hard-frozen pint of Haagen-Dazs (sorry for the lack of the traditional Brooklyn umlaut)? Seriously frozen, I mean. Think chest freezer. I'd go for my heaviest Chinese cleaver at 680g.
The one I put in hot water for a second.

Last edited:
Just the smell edges me towards wanting to throw up. Which is terrible when you live in Melbourne, the real coffee capital of the world...
I don’t care much for the smell of coffee, but smell of dried up coffee cups is nosebleed inducing :(

Well, except it's not legally coffee anywhere but the US, one suspects...
Doesn't matter where you go. All Starsux coffee sucks. They roast it to within an inch of its life killing any subtle flavor notes in the process

Latest posts

Back