Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really enjoy coding in R. I don't have a computer science background so I can't really compare it to other languages. But I've always been into math and statistics and spreadsheets. And I was planning to use the knowledge to stay doing something related to food and beverage. And R is pretty intuitive for they kind of stuff. Like building generalized linear models off of sales history to make predictions about future demand to help with purchasing and scheduling. Or isolating the seasonality effect of your hotel occupancy.
This is the same kind of idea I had for a side hustle once I'm done with my degree. I think with your subject area knowledge of how the industry works, you could have both a fruitful career and help smaller restaurants make good decisions off the bat and avoid some easy pitfalls.

Let me know if you ever want any (always free) R resources. After two years in the program, I have a whole pile, and have sorted some wheat from chaff. One course in particular is entirely available online, and it's all centered around making reports directly from your code that others can read. R Markdown. All lectures on youtube too, really good, energetic instructor.

20 years as a unix admin and I think I've started emacs twice....

But this is an unpopular opinions thread... dare I ask... is that because in those 20 years you only figured out how to close Vim twice? 🤪 🤡

You are such an evil bastard

😁

Is that because emacs == vim??

Code:
;; Enable Evil
(require 'evil)
(evil-mode 1)

... a mediocre joke that 3 people will appreciate

tell her the crocs suck all the sexy out of the room, and she correctly ignores me.

#unpopularopinions 😉

I don't know why... but YouTube recommended a video to me where this guy reviews boots. His schtick is cutting boots in half. I had to watch because YouTube told me to.

In one of his videos, he cuts a croc in half to see what is inside. Spoiler: the inside of crocs are exactly what you think they are. If you are in the market for some really unsurprising media, enjoy:

That said... if you need a new pair of boots his comparison videos my have value!

But this is an unpopular opinions thread... dare I ask... is that because in those 20 years you only figured out how to close Vim twice? 🤪 🤡

😁

Is that because emacs == vim??

Code:
;; Enable Evil
(require 'evil)
(evil-mode 1)

... a mediocre joke that 3 people will appreciate
I'm not kidding when I say I wish I got the joke.

:x!

How about this:
Code:
rm -rf / --no-preserve-root

Make sure you have backups.....

I did something similar. I was configuring a couple of FTP gateways for a client. I had a work directory set up to do the build, complete with the various builds and patches and whatnot, plus setting up all of the quotas and client controls and junk. I went to delete the work area, "rm -r ." I didn't realize that there were some RO files. So, frustrated, I ran it again... and double tapped the "." When the operation took more than a few seconds I realized and escaped it. Having only deleted half of /. Ooops.

Fortunately, the other one was there and I just copied everything back.

I'm not kidding when I say I wish I got the joke.

It is barely worth a laugh!

@big_adventure has it. Evil mode is basically a vi(m) emulator in emacs. The code i included enables it in Emacs.

Here is an editor rant for no reason...

In hacker culture there is an on-going (good humoured) editor war: Emacs vs Vim. The two have converged over time and offer similar functionality. They both have massive communities with lots of extensions. Their main difference is philosophical. Emacs largely operates off key-chords or bindings (like most applications' hotkeys) whereas Vi(m) has a modal interface - key presses mean different things depending on what mode you are in.

Emacs is often teased for containing everything but the kitchen sink (being bloated) - this is pretty much the punch line of the XKCD cartoon you linked to. A golden oldie is that "emacs is a great operating system, lacking only a decent editor" - which is almost double funny given that it has Evil mode ;).

It puts parentheses... everywhere... but it can get you out of a bind...

I also made two lame jokes here... Emacs runs on Lisp - one of the oldest high-level languages. The code is written in S-expression, which I find syntactically ugly. Basically you get parenteses everywhere (my first joke). Randall made a better joke about this:

lisp_cycles.png

The second 'joke' was word play on 'bind' - again from the notorious Emacs keybindings... Perhaps I should have said "get you into a bind"?

all I know is Rstudio, which is a pretty killer IDE

Vim and Emacs are both extremely powerful. They lack the slickness of IDE's but offer much of the same functionality. Like programming, getting good at either is a long journey that yields only as much as you put into it. It is tempting to grab a popular configuration off the internet and forget about the settings... but this is their strength. They are best when you configure them to your productivity needs.

They truly shine if you edit source code across multiple languages. You can effectively combine 5 IDEs into one - with common bindings/modes/patterns. They both offer more exotic editing/navigation (which IDEs often lack) that free you from the mouse more. They can be quite addictive once they soak into your habits.

If coding is not a big part of your day, or you don't switch between lots of languages... they probably arent worth investing the time to learn. The learning curve can be quite steep/frustrating.

How about this:
Code:
rm -rf / --no-preserve-root

:eek:

(hey @rmrf... you've been tagged!)

Make sure you have backups.....

Unpopular opinion: a great way to backup your computer is using sequential tar files. 'backup_01.tar.gz' for the first backup... 'backup_02.tar.gz' for the second backup... and so on. Keep these on the main drive.

I tried your code riddle in a root shell and now I don't have anything... not even my backups 😟

Sent from myPhone

I did something similar. I was configuring a couple of FTP gateways for a client. I had a work directory set up to do the build, complete with the various builds and patches and whatnot, plus setting up all of the quotas and client controls and junk. I went to delete the work area, "rm -r ." I didn't realize that there were some RO files. So, frustrated, I ran it again... and double tapped the "." When the operation took more than a few seconds I realized and escaped it. Having only deleted half of /. Ooops.

Fortunately, the other one was there and I just copied everything back.

CentOS 7 (the only play machine I have right now), refuses rm -rf . or rm -rf ..

rm -rf * from root works though.

CentOS 7 (the only play machine I have right now), refuses rm -rf . or rm -rf ..

rm -rf * from root works though.

I love that they thought to block out . and .. but left the splat. Nice one, guys.

This was an age and a day ago - Solaris 10 on (well, obviously) Sun hardware. No such protection from CKIEs.

I also made two lame jokes here... Emacs runs on Lisp - one of the oldest high-level languages. The code is written in S-expression, which I find syntactically ugly. Basically you get parenteses everywhere (my first joke). Randall made a better joke about this:

lisp_cycles.png

The oldest Lisp joke is still the best: what does Lisp stand for? Lost In Stupid Parentheses. And you are.

I love that they thought to block out . and .. but left the splat. Nice one, guys.

This was an age and a day ago - Solaris 10 on (well, obviously) Sun hardware. No such protection from CKIEs.

Well splat is actually valid depending on where you are in the tree. But they could do a check if you're at / and block it and require the flag.

I've been doing this long enough to know to do "ls -l" before doing a rm -rf on anything.

They truly shine if you edit source code across multiple languages. You can effectively combine 5 IDEs into one - with common bindings/modes/patterns. They both offer more exotic editing/navigation (which IDEs often lack) that free you from the mouse more. They can be quite addictive once they soak into your habits.

Yeah, the more time in front of a keyboard, the fussier I am about my setup, I could see this as a huge win. God I love this little infight whenever I see it in the wild. The "paper or plastic" of the computing world.

@M1k3 right you are.

Pineapple pepperoni pizza is godlike, and balances all five tastebud flavors into a harmonious umami better than any other offering. All other options are too salt/grease forward. Fight me.

1620249523762.png

corn and potato pizza with toasted mayo is really good in its own way. if chicago pizza can be considered pizza, than almost anything goes

Home cooks being so paranoid about chicken that they have separate cutting boards is nuts. Convenience and speed so you can keep chopping without cleanup I get and can get, uh hum, on board with but all these folks buying three, four, or more cutting boards dedicated to different things just because of a fear of cross contamination is crazy.

Soap. It works.

Home cooks being so paranoid about chicken that they have separate cutting boards is nuts. Convenience and speed so you can keep chopping without cleanup I get and can get, uh hum, on board with but all these folks buying three, four, or more cutting boards dedicated to different things just because of a fear of cross contamination is crazy.

Soap. It works.
Cut non-meat stuff first. Then any previous cooked stuff, if applicable. Then raw meat.

Eazy peazy, lemon squeezy. Into the dish washy we go. (Unless the cutting board is wood or warps easy)

Back