Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never been quite sure how to interpret the making of one object out of another to commemorate a tragedy. I just know this wouldn't be my first choice.

What about making a ceremonial fireman's axe to commemorate the FDNY personnel who died in the towers?

Surprising preference considering the label-writing you presented in the meme-thread. ;)
5w42pg.jpg

idk why every product (food, cosmetics, detergents) needs to be colorful and smelly. wt f is wrong with these
people?

food coloring annoys me. not everything needs to be decorated.

fragrances in soap are whack. the smell of clean isn't some f'd up eau de industrie perfume. the smell of clean is the complete absence of aroma. why would i want my hands contaminated with fake ass fruit and flower fragrance chemicals after washing them? lol. cleaning products should remove residues, not introduce them!

i remember back in school, some big industry rep (could have been from unilever or something, idk) lectured us. bragging about how she fancied herself a 'disruptive innovator'. was also talking about how she was so proud of working on some laundry detergent full of fragrance-impregnated microplastics that bind to fabrics and slowly release offensive odor for longer than ever before. are these people insane? lol. luckily, that one never made it to market afaik.

it's surprisingly very hard to find simple but high quality soaps and detergents. if you can find them at all, they're usually 'natural' hippie dippy crap that doesn't work as well.

i bought this soap a while ago and was completely trolled:

71BR6cvEdmL._AC_SX466_.jpg

palmolive 'PURE + CLEAR'
'NO UNNECESSARY Ingredients'
'residue-free'
'no heavy fragrances' (emphasis mine)

i thought, 'great, that's what i'm talking about!'
but no, it smells like sһit. it's jam packed with fragrance. i guess the key word was 'heavy'. smelly af, but with a fragrance they arbitrarily decided wasn't heavy. haha

Last edited:
The goddamn stinking dish soaps and washing powders are a pet peeve of mine. Dish soap doesn't smell of lemon; instead, it reeks of something entirely unlike lemon. And, guess what, I don't want my dishes to smell of anything. The same is true of my clothes. I want them to smell like cloth, not like artificial lavender aroma.

Here in Australia, I've been searching high and wide for dish soap that doesn't stink. I made the same experience as you. All the non-smelly dish soaps don't work. I tested about half a dozen and they work only marginally better than hot water. If I have a greasy pot, the fat is still in there after having washed it three times, each time with an unreasonably large amount of non-smelly dish soap. I suspect that, by the time the pot is clean, I have put more harmful stuff into the wastewater than I would have by using an ordinary amount of non-alternative dish soap. Go figure…

I came across the Palmolive Pure + Clear in my searches, but it is not for sale in Australia. I even toyed with the idea of importing some, but the cost is prohibitive. Now you are telling me that this one stinks, too :(

I guess the choice is between dishes that are dirty and dishes that stink :(

my man! if you ever find an unscented dish soap that isn't worthless, please lmk. i'll do the same if i find one.

I've been searching high and wide for dish soap that doesn't stink. I made the same experience as you. All the non-smelly dish soaps don't work.

and just think... technically, that added fragrance eats up some of the detergent's lipophilic capacity. dawn, palmolive, etc. would work even better if they didn't add that crap. maybe only slightly better, but still.

I came across the Palmolive Pure + Clear in my searches, but it is not for sale in Australia. I even toyed with the idea of importing some, but the cost is prohibitive. Now you are telling me that this one stinks, too :(

unbelievable, right? 'NO UNNECESSARY Ingredients'
i guess they can't wrap their head around the idea that fragrance could be unnecessary. haha
but yeah, there's no point of seeking out that product. it's pretty much just as smelly as regular dawn or whatever.

The term "KKF level" is pretentious and dismissive.

Is there a certain dollar scale for these folks that puts a knife into KKF level status? I guess an inexpensive kitchen warrior that has prepped thousands of pounds of ingredients wouldn't count as KKF level but a $1k never used honyaki would.

I read 'grainfed' bamboo board, reading the post from @Pisau , probably just inventing a whole new level of pointless

If I ever find a non artificial smelling soap that works on dishes I'll report, I have been looking for such for ages....so far I have been able to source old fashioned soap from Italy and France both without muck you don't want in it next tp the stuff from companies like Weleda, but dish washing stuff and clothing detergents no luck yet...mostly that stuff claiming to be 'natural' is just greenwashing the crap they sell through confusing their customers via the label by using silly marketing dept invented buzzwords without any real meaning. Brent crude is 100% natural too...

The term "KKF level" is pretentious and dismissive.

Is there a certain dollar scale for these folks that puts a knife into KKF level status? I guess an inexpensive kitchen warrior that has prepped thousands of pounds of ingredients wouldn't count as KKF level but a $1k never used honyaki would.

I guess if you just take it to mean "a knife that KKFers find it interesting to talk about" it's more descriptive than pretentious. Plenty of us use non-fancy knives, we just don't talk about them as much on here, cause there's not as much to say about them.

I guess if you just take it to mean "a knife that KKFers find it interesting to talk about" it's more descriptive than pretentious. Plenty of us use non-fancy knives, we just don't talk about them as much on here, cause there's not as much to say about them.

I get it and I guess my sensitive side was coming out. :p I still think there's a lot of interesting to be found and talked about in non-fancy knives that perform well. :)

I get it and I guess my sensitive side was coming out. :p I still think there's a lot of interesting to be found and talked about in non-fancy knives that perform well. :)
We talk about old sabatier and the like knives and these are not expensive or fancy. Just has to be interesting or special in some way. Can mean expensive too though, but "KKF level" is a good descriptive term that most will understand. Political correctness is getting the best of you :upsidedownspin:

We talk about old sabatier and the like knives and these are not expensive or fancy. Just has to be interesting or special in some way. Can mean expensive too though, but "KKF level" is a good descriptive term that most will understand. Political correctness is getting the best of you :upsidedownspin:

I prefer the term "sensitive" thank you very much.

;)

The acronym 'NKD' makes me irrationally angry. Keep this trash off the forum and go back to Reddit where you belong!

As in this? Does seem nativist / xenophobic ...

Or are you talking about @NakiriKnaifuDiefu? Anyway, I'm confused.

Edit: oh... you probably mean "new knife day". That one doesn't bother me so much, but I do get irrationally angry at a significant proportion of the posts in the newest knife buy thread, so you have my sympathy and understanding.

As in this? Does seem nativist / xenophobic ...

Or are you talking about @NakiriKnaifuDiefu? Anyway, I'm confused.

Edit: oh... you probably mean "new knife day". That one doesn't bother me so much, but I do get irrationally angry at a significant proportion of the posts in the newest knife buy thread, so you have my sympathy and understanding.

NKD obviously is "No Ken Doll"

It means the knife is only for "Barbies" aka women. In these MeToo times it is frowned upon to use NKD.

No one needs ten fingers anyway. One or two of them are really just extra dead weight you're hauling around for no reason. 😆
It's funny having the perspective of growing up in hospo, getting told how dangerous all the kitchen equipment is... then moving to metal/wood working.
A tablesaw feels like a meat slicer on steroids - Screaming like a bat outta hell, and willing to take a hand off you if you zone out for half a second.
And there's this soft and fluffy looking killer, which all knowledgeable bladesmiths fear:
515-402-403-404.png

And that's just the small home shop. I've watched a few gore videos of industrial metalworking accidents too... I'm talking death in seconds. Far out

For those of you not afraid of watching a clip of someone straight up dying, Google "russian lathe accident" for the full gore video. I won't link it here though. 🤮

Last edited:
It's funny having the perspective of growing up in hospo, getting told how dangerous all the kitchen equipment is... then moving to metal/wood working.
A tablesaw feels like a meat slicer on steroids - Screaming like a bat outta hell, and willing to take a hand off you if you zone out for half a second.
And there's this soft and fluffy looking killer, which all knowledgeable bladesmiths fear:
515-402-403-404.png

And that's just the small home shop. I've watched a few gore videos of industrial metalworking accidents too... I'm talking death in seconds. Far out

For those of you not afraid of watching a clip of someone straight up dying, Google "russian lathe accident" for the full gore video. I won't link it here though. 🤮

The soft wheel of death really dangerous or just sarcasm?

Latest posts

Back