Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captaincaed

(____((__________()~~~
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
We all have em.
I sometimes think the forum is in protectionist mode trying to preserve the value of their knives for later sale. Anyone up for a little honesty, offered in the spirit of peace and love?

So here's an opportunity to beef or brag a little. What's surprised you in a good or bad way?

I'll go first.

Don Nguyen petty was way too thick for a petty. Doorstop. Early work of his.

Delbert Ealy is too thick, has edge recurves, and the full damascus couldn't hold an edge.

Xerxes tip is too thin, and I think was overheated from grinding, leading to discolored steel and a snap.

Mac is undervalued as a whole package. There are better blades and cheaper beaters, but this damn thing can't be killed. And it's comfy. And it holds up to poly boards.

Naniwa Diamond stones are garbage (still have one sadly).

Catcheside knives have awesome heat treat and geometry.

Oh and my Kato Shinpei Kiridashi is bad at slicing sweet potato ;)

Only a handful of Western makers make something that cuts equal or better than most of the Japanese knives in the $200-300 price range. And by handful I man like....3-4 that I've personally tried and it's been a lot.

Catcheside and Carter and Cris Anderson are all really good cutters

Ealy grinds are thick as hell and you might as well buy a $100 German.

Fowler is ruler flat and borderline unusable unless you only ever chop, every one I've had has had the tip broken as well.

Shig Gyutos really don't cut that well, their Nakiri's are badass and cut excellent but their gyuto grinds are meh at best.

Very few of the recent Workhorse trend knives are done well, they just wedge more overall and in terms of ease of cutting your average middleweight Tanaka (Ginsan or Sekiso) smokes them.

Only a handful of Western makers make something that cuts equal or better than most of the Japanese knives in the $200-300 price range. And by handful I man like....3-4 that I've personally tried and it's been a lot.
I've come full circle on this one too. They may make great steel and handles but only a few can grind.

Weird, the CJA I tried didn't stand out to me.

I've come full circle on this one too. They may make great steel and handles but only a few can grind.

Yeah took me a lot of money and time but so far I can say the C's have it down really well but outside that it gets really dicey as to what performs at all.

C's being Carter, Catcheside and Cris (Anderson)

Hey now. Unpopular opinions only.

Well in that case, Shigs aren't great performers although I'll admit the yo handled kitaeji ones are impressive in terms of forging.

From a purely functional perspective there's a lot of makers that are 20-60% cheaper that maker better knives.

My other strong opinions, some popular, some not, some based on lots of evidence, some not:

Catcheside profiles are whack. (Although I still want to get another one at some point... There’s just something about them...) Yoshikane and Gengetsu profiles are too flat. Heiji grind is good, as long as you use it for the right things. Shun VG10 is just fine for what it is. Stainless cladding sucks. Stainless cladding is ok. Ebony handles suck. So does burl, and any handle with blue or green on it should be immediately burned. (Except Tim Rowland's PA handle, which was classy.) Burnt chestnut 4ever. Carter Wh#1 steel is underwhelming. Damascus is for dumbass kids. And @Kippington’s parrot(?) feather is the coolest maker’s mark.

Last edited:
Cretins.

Edit: I retract my post, so that Carl is not sad. This thread is ripe for conflict! Shall we succumb to our base instincts and allow our inner sneering ghouls to wake? Or shall we come together and celebrate our diversity of opinions and the beauty of the world of knives? All you brothers and sisters, unite!

Last edited:
This forum is all about 49mm min height is a must, Ebony and rosewood handle are sucks, Sanjo maker for life, Konosuke and Takefu maker is not good because it is promoted in the other FORUM, Shig and Kato are overrated but it makes the most money. VG-10 is not good because it doesn't hold an edge and we only want to sharpen as nice as a white steel knife.
Wedge and 'Braaappp' on hard root vegetable is a pleasure.

Back