Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People who don’t know what they like yet still order custom knives only to complain about them.

In that same vein...

You don't need specific dimensions and if a couple mm here or there is the deciding factor in whether you can live with a knife or not, you need to put down the wallet and take up gardening or something... chill out.

"Wa" handles and untreated wood don't belong on knives made during the current millennium.

Kanji on knives are badly overrated. The Japanese themselves often do their design art using romaji, and if one seeks to have arcane inscriptions on a Japanese blade, bonji are a better choice.

For the love of god, don't round your heels especially for cleavers.

I can see this for cleavers, but what does it matter if the heel of your gyuto is rounded? You’re never going to cut anything with it, unless you’re one of the weird KKF members who uses 60+ heel height gyutos or a hammer-grip-sporting cretin.

Heels are just for show, both in fashion and in gyutos.

So I can only buy an antique katana if I intend to chop someone up? Some blades are just works of art. Time to finally mention Ashi Honyaki
A katana is a sword, not a knife. And all of the people I know personally who own Ashi Honyaki use them. They're excellent cutters.

Dangerous thing about unpopular opinions is that they can easily be outright lies.

Trump is a wise and caring leader. I am a nice and popular member. That kind of ****.

Here are still my two cents:

There is as much BS, false rep and infatuation of value and price in J knives market than western market, if not even more.

So called "finish" is often another way to rip you off.

No it is not cool that there's a good chance what you see is not what you'll get (TFTFTFTF and about all else). It is not cool that there is no warranty. It is not cool that what you order may not be what you get, and that a vendor can just say : "oh well the maker said it was that, I bought a batch and all that". "Undisclosed steel" is BS. "Makers are quite secretive about their steels and processes" is BS.

If the handle doesn't suit you don't buy the goddamn knife. If one thing the makers will have to see about proposing handles that do sell.

Exclusivity of a particular heat treatment, or series of J-knife, for a particular vendor, is BS. At least a Wusthof is available everywhere and is always the same... sh**.

Victorinox Rosewood are just about the only knives that are not overpriced for what they are - and they are f****** good soft SS or not.

Could go on but more of the same.

Still, this is a GREAT thread, and here is my BEST FORUM ever.

So no, you won't be rid of me anytime soon.

Dangerous thing about unpopular opinions is that they can easily be outright lies.

Trump is a wise and caring leader. I am a nice and popular member. That kind of ****.

Here are still my two cents:

There is as much BS, false rep and infatuation of value and price in J knives market than western market, if not even more.

So called "finish" is often another way to rip you off.

No it is not cool that there's a good chance what you see is not what you'll get (TFTFTFTF and about all else). It is not cool that there is no warranty. It is not cool that what you order may not be what you get, and that a vendor can just say : "oh well the maker said it was that, I bought a batch and all that". "Undisclosed steel" is BS. "Makers are quite secretive about their steels and processes" is BS.

If the handle doesn't suit you don't buy the goddamn knife. If one thing the makers will have to see about proposing handles that do sell.

Exclusivity of a particular heat treatment, or series of J-knife, for a particular vendor, is BS. At least a Wusthof is available everywhere and is always the same... sh**.

Victorinox Rosewood are just about the only knives that are not overpriced for what they are - and they are f****** good soft SS or not.

Could go on but more of the same.

Still, this is a GREAT thread, and here is my BEST FORUM ever.

So no, you won't be rid of me anytime soon.

I agree!

(That this post will be unpopular.)

😜

I can see this for cleavers, but what does it matter if the heel of your gyuto is rounded? You’re never going to cut anything with it, unless you’re one of the weird KKF members who uses 60+ heel height gyutos or a hammer-grip-sporting cretin.

Heels are just for show, both in fashion and in gyutos.
I like the option to score with the heel off the board when I want more control.

Most of these are actually popular opinions, but said in a mean-spirited way. Here's an unpopular opinion: most of the controversy in chef knives is because newbies don't bother to read and experts don't have time/desire to explain things.
Context matters when determining whether an opinion is popular or not. Within the confines of this thread, within the confines of this forum having people that agree with you does not make your opinion widely popular. It makes your opinion popular within that conversation or particular group of people. I would say your opinion isn't even unpopular within this group.

Back