Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah took me a lot of money and time but so far I can say the C's have it down really well but outside that it gets really dicey as to what performs at all.

C's being Carter, Catcheside and Cris (Anderson)
Have you tried Mert, great grinds and performance.

Nakiriā€™s are stupid
There are guys hating on nakiris yet staring at there 240s wishing it had a bigger flat spot. So they go buy a 270, instead of a bad ass 210 nakiri. And let's be honest most of the time you don't even need the tip... There you go Panda.
No one appreciates a well made quality ho wood handle anymore.
Not true, they are way more respected and sought out over gaudy customs.
I just had to sit and read 7 pages to catch up on this thread, and it just started today o_O.

I got a Miyabi santoku and a dalstrong nakiri as gifts and they both have ridiculous food release, I absolutely love them.

Have you tried Mert, great grinds and performance.

There are guys hating on nakiris yet staring at there 240s wishing it had a bigger flat spot. So they go buy a 270, instead of a bad ass 210 nakiri. And let's be honest most of the time you don't even need the tip... There you go Panda.
Not true, they are way more respected and sought out over gaudy customs.
I just had to sit and read 7 pages to catch up on this thread, and it just started today o_O.
they always need the tip

Unpopular opinion? Hmmmm, how about:

The importance of supporting Chelsea Miller for the sake of diversity, to broaden the audience and market for handmade kitchen knivesā€”thus benefiting knife makers, the community, and vendors who sell kitchen knives. And, those disparaging Miller and her craft are unfairly doing do so perhaps out of jealousy of her success and ability to consistently garner positive press and fetch $800+ for her cheese graters chef's knives.
I see what you did. You put it in bold to really emphasize how much she sucks.

Well I'm going to go against the grain and say I've really enjoyed my short time on these forums so far. There's a huge amount of information and expertise, and a lot of people who very generously share it!

We all have em.
I sometimes think the forum is in protectionist mode trying to preserve the value of their knives for later sale. Anyone up for a little honesty, offered in the spirit of peace and love?

So here's an opportunity to beef or brag a little. What's surprised you in a good or bad way?

I'll go first.

Don Nguyen petty was way too thick for a petty. Doorstop. Early work of his.

Delbert Ealy is too thick, has edge recurves, and the full damascus couldn't hold an edge.

Xerxes tip is too thin, and I think was overheated from grinding, leading to discolored steel and a snap.

Mac is undervalued as a whole package. There are better blades and cheaper beaters, but this damn thing can't be killed. And it's comfy. And it holds up to poly boards.

The term workhorse is very misleading. Before knife forums like this one and r/chefknives became saturated with new knife owners, workhorse meant what it sounded like: a knife that gets used a lot. Now it has mutated into meaning thick and heavy knives. Because of this, a lot of people think lasers are fragile and not meant for heavy use, and I think this is one of the reasons they aren't as popular anymore. I do prep for soup for a living and I exclusively use stainless lasers. I think it's possible to have a laser workhorse.

Naniwa Chosera / Professional are very good, but all stones above the 1000s are very overpriced! And in addition, there is the well-known risk of hair cracks with the expensive stones ..

There are better alternatives!

People who think knives made from pre-laminated steel are better because the cladding is "perfect" don't understand how difficult it is to make your own awase and how those "islands" are not imperfections...
If this was directed at my comment, I believe you missed the point I was trying to make ;) .

Your high end carbon collection is worthless. When you pass it's going to be sold for a tenth of the value by someone uttering something similar to this: "they looked nice, were incredibly sharp, but they rusted when I left them in the rack to dry"

Your high end carbon collection is worthless. When you pass it's going to be sold for a tenth of the value by someone uttering something similar to this: "they looked nice, were incredibly sharp, but they rusted when I left them in the rack to dry"
Mine will be buried with me, don't know where you get your intel from.

Back