Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I couldn't resist. I do try and restrain my bitchiness as a general rule but I have been teaching speech and debate camp to high schoolers over zoom for the last few weeks along with taking a bunch of classes. I'm getting too tired to be nice.

So thanks to whomever started this wonderful thread. I have really enjoyed it thus far. Hopefully we can have fun without hurting anyone's feelings too much.
It's completely fair to say that there's a skill gap, though. Tbh, that's the hardest thing to not point out. People don't understand that the average day on the job is usually more than a month of knife work at home...and that's assuming you're cooking for a family.

A minor adjustment for a pro can be a real learning curve for a home cook, but most people don't want to admit that or would rather throw $$ at their ridiculous specifications instead of putting the work in.

Yea, I guess I just think that if offenses are public and objections are private, you have an asymmetry that indicates to the reader of the forum that the offenses aren’t offensive. But what do I know, I’m just an idiot who spends all his time thinking about g****mn kitchen knives. 🤷🤪
Its a good talk and thinking. I'm a believer in "praise in public, punish in private".

It's completely fair to say that there's a skill gap, though. Tbh, that's the hardest thing to not point out. People don't understand that the average day on the job is usually more than a month of knife work at home...and that's assuming you're cooking for a family.

A minor adjustment for a pro can be a real learning curve for a home cook, but most people don't want to admit that or would rather throw $$ at their ridiculous specifications instead of putting the work in.
I was really guilty of this for a while. Probably still am sometimes.

I hope the real cooks and chefs still want to pipe up. I learn a ton there.

Totally fair. I’m aware that while my knife skills are probably in the top .1% of home users, I just don’t have nearly the amount of practice that many of you have, and am not as fast or precise in many of my movements. This is especially true for things that I only do once in a while. I may have contributed a “take apart a chicken” vid to the knife skills thread, but it probably takes me 10 times as long to bone a whole bird as it does those of you that do it professionally*. Hats off.

*that’s what the aspiring animal molester said.

Tacky is subjective, so whatever. Space inefficient? I don't get that, that is their purpose.

And here I thought their purpose is to proudly display knives that nobody but their owner cares about.

In terms of space, they are essentially a 2D solution. Add one more dimension to the storage, and you can put half a wall's worth of knives into what regular people call "a knife block". :dancingcow:

And here I thought their purpose is to proudly display knives that nobody but their owner cares about.

In terms of space, they are essentially a 2D solution. Add one more dimension to the storage, and you can put half a wall's worth of knives into what regular people call "a knife block". :dancingcow:
Sure, but a knife block takes up valuable counter space for some with limited counter space. I have 100 knives probably, but only have about 4 in my kitchen at one time. I have lots of counter space but no need for a block.

I have a drawer knife block in my kitchen. But I prefer magnetic strips in my knife room.

IMG_20200715_200700.jpg

Let's see, what are my unpopular opinions? Should be pretty easy, I'm a cleaver guy in a knife forum.

- Most jobs done with the non-pointy part of a gyuto would be better done with a Chinese cleaver
- Nakiris want to be Chinese cleavers when they grow up
- G10 and the like are really good materials for knife handles

One more unpopular opinion:

Magnetic knife racks are stupid*

* Does not apply if you live in an area that could never, ever have a major earthquake

Yes! Everytime I go into my kitchen, I see my knife strip and am happy. Who cares if anyone else appreciates them.

image.jpg

For those interested, this is my entire current collection (technically minus a Y. Tanaka / Yohei that’s on loan): from left to right, $15 Tojiro bread knife, 240 Kippington honyaki workpony, 240 TF mab, Heiji 180x40 ss petty, Gesshin Uraku 210 stainless, Shun paring, Shigeki Tanaka ginsan 150 petty, Wat nakiri, Gesshin Heiji 150mm ss honesuki.

Ok, maybe I do care if someone appreciates them. But that’s why I have y’all.

Last edited:
One more unpopular opinion:

Magnetic knife racks are stupid*

* Does not apply if you live in an area that could never, ever have a major earthquake

I think it would take at least a magnitude 7 earthquake centered on my house to knock the knives off my strip... Never going to happen in Boston, and if it does, it’d knock down any knife block I had too. But you must be a Californian.

I was living in Santa Clara during the ‘89 quake. That was memorable.

I think it would take at least a magnitude 7 earthquake centered on my house to knock the knives off my strip... Never going to happen in Boston, and if it does, it’d knock down any knife block I had too. But you must be a Californian.

I was living in Santa Clara during the ‘89 quake. That was memorable.

I am indeed a Californian. A quake here moved my full 260 bottle wine fridge about three feet. I was lucky that the forces were not in the direction that would have opened the door and destroyed all that wine. But before that I was a Seattleite, and we had a nice 7.0 or thereabouts.

Trust me, a 6.0 quake 10 miles away, with the forces in the right (wrong) direction, would take every knife off of your strip, depending on what sort of material is under your foundation.

Reactions: ian
I am indeed a Californian. A quake here moved my full 260 bottle wine fridge about three feet. I was lucky that the forces were not in the direction that would have opened the door and destroyed all that wine. But before that I was a Seattleite, and we had a nice 7.0 or thereabouts.

Trust me, a 6.0 quake 10 miles away, with the forces in the right (wrong) direction, would take every knife off of your strip, depending on what sort of material is under your foundation.

Yea, I was being dramatic, and I believe you. I guess I have the luxury of living somewhere that never has such quakes. Good luck in your search for non knife-bars.

Yea, I was being dramatic, and I believe you. I guess I have the luxury of living somewhere that never has such quakes. Good luck in your search for non knife-bars.

It's not so easy, but there are ways. Note the garish handles I was obliquely defending earlier.

Cleavers In Repose.JPG
Cleavers In Repose.JPG

Back