Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nah, People buy the older ones to experience the Legendary Morihiro and Tanaka. People buy the newer ones because their the next "chapter" of the legend and because the older ones are so rare and pricey on the secondary market. The first one I got didn't even have a stamp and the kanji was faded. I don't even find the kanji and/or stamp as overly amazing, meaning not a reason to buy the knife. They are nice, but so is a bunch of others. The FMs are underrated imho. They are some of the sexiest, pure cutters out there... Sexy and classy all over. I hope they stay somewhat underrated, keep the supply up and the demand at bay.
Another unpopular opinion: Morihiro sharpened knives aren’t anything special on the board at all.

Another unpopular opinion: Morihiro sharpened knives aren’t anything special on the board at all.
I feel like this is a more reasonable opinion then the previous. And I believe it is heartfelt by you. And this is the type of stuff that started the thread off as interesting, before it became the knife version of the talk show "The View." On that note, Myojin knives are special. Also, I'm not supporting the Morihiro statement. I just haven't had much experience with the old Fuji gyutos to put a passionate argument against it. I've had a couple of Morihiro's work and they've been among my favorite.

I feel like this is a more reasonable opinion then the previous. And I believe it is heartfelt by you. And this is the type of stuff that started the thread off as interesting, before it became the knife version of the talk show "The View." On that note, Myojin knives are special. Also, I'm not supporting the Morihiro statement. I just haven't had much experience with the old Fuji gyutos to put a passionate argument against it. I've had a couple of Morihiro's work and they've been among my favorite.
You might have a temporary misunderstanding of the purpose of this thread...we know of lots and lots of stuff that tanaka is the smith for. The variance with all these thin light gyutos is there but still there’s no reason for the fanfare some brands get over others, besides limited availability and neat stamps.
I don’t expect many here would agree with me but I believe it just the same, hence an unpopular opinion.

You might have a temporary misunderstanding of the purpose of this thread...we know of lots and lots of stuff that tanaka is the smith for. The variance with all these thin light gyutos is there but still there’s no reason for the fanfare some brands get over others, besides limited availability and neat stamps.
I don’t expect many here would agree with me but I believe it just the same, hence an unpopular opinion.
I was joking around with The View comment. I just felt in the earlier part of the thread there was real pent up opinions unleashed. Your comment about Morihiro's work felt like the beginning of the thread, if that makes any sense 🙄. Later in the thread seemed different. I was also agreeing with you that the comment about Morihiro's work would be against, perhaps, the norm so unpopular. The stamp and kanji comment. I just disagreed with, wasn't meant to be argumentive. It was just my opinion, so perhaps, my opinion is the unpopular 😜

X

Last edited:
All with Kramers in their knife blocks.... or Chelsea Millers

Being rich means you can be eccentric. If you don't cook anyway, why not just have a set of the original Ginsu knives? In their original "As Seen On TV" packaging?

After years of seeing the ads, I admit I actually bought one of those, out of curiosity. It was hanging in a supermarket, and it was $1.98, so why not? It was the thinnest knife I have ever seen in my life, bar none, including ham slicers and the razoriest razors in existence. I was impressed. Not with the knife, of course, but with the guy on TV who managed to cut the nail, and then the tomato, without ever revealing that his knife was not much thicker than heavy duty aluminum foil. The guy had some skills.

Fun thread. @Barclid wins for sure. But here’s a zinger for ya- the History of Konos thread on here is the fetishized meandering of questionable heresay. And from the top ropes with the atomic elbow- you don’t need to know who the smith is. Or the sharpener. If it’s good it’s good.

What is that neat orange handle you got there?

I think it was listed as G2, which I've not heard of, but I assume it is much like G10, pressed fiberglass and epoxy. It certainly feels like that, comfortable and grippy. It's a Watanabe 580g blue steel cleaver, and I love it beyond reason.

Back