Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My other strong opinions, some popular, some not, some based on lots of evidence, some not:

Catcheside profiles are whack. (Although I still want to get another one at some point... There’s just something about them...) Yoshikane and Gengetsu profiles are too flat. Heiji grind is good, as long as you use it for the right things. Shun VG10 is just fine for what it is. Stainless cladding sucks. Stainless cladding is ok. Ebony handles suck. So does burl, and any handle with blue or green on it should be immediately burned. (Except Tim Johnson’s PA handle, which was classy.) Burnt chestnut 4ever. Carter Wh#1 steel is underwhelming. Damascus is for dumbass kids. And @Kippington’s parrot(?) feather is the coolest maker’s mark.

I am guessing you meant my handle......I know you secretly loved that green.

Reactions: ian
I am guessing you meant my handle......I know you secretly loved that green.

*Forehead smack* Sorry about that. Sometimes I write too quickly... I dunno what my problem is. I corrected it... apologies.

But yea, the green stripe on that was pretty classy. You know how to treat colors right! Can't wait to see what you do with unicorn puke.

*Forehead smack* Sorry about that. Sometimes I write too quickly... I dunno what my problem is. I corrected it... apologies.

But yea, the green stripe on that was pretty classy. You know how to treat colors right! Can't wait to see what you do with unicorn puke.

Well I have to refinish it since it got soaked in my tears after you refused it...will probably go on one of my housewife blades

i have a knife made out of talonite.
its stellite 6bh. aged and i think cold rolled. i made it about 20 years a go.

truth is that vg10 gets sharp enough, keeps a good enough edge for quite long, is easy enough to resharpen, and its stainless enough.

its only that people only get the **** vg10. hattori and shiki is very good imo. good balance for a SS

I acquired a piece of Stellite6k 7 or 8 years ago when Kennametal briefly owned their company. Was a b**** to get through customs then, not really sure why. I have been thinking of making an oyster knife of it. I have read good things about talonite, mainly around diving knives though.

its a really ****** knife material. it likes 5-600 or so finishes. very tough, can't hold an edge. soft.

If you like VG10 so much, you should really try a knife made of Stellite6k. It's a joy!
Stellite6k and talonite should make pretty crappy kitchen knives. The matrix is soft. The materials are tough and wear resistant, but we want very hard, thin edges that are also somewhat tough and the above two materials just don't excel in that. They are also very corrosion resistant though.

Not sure if this is unpopular, but I liked how this forum looked and felt before the revamp. The like system is nice though, if you want the real unpopular opinions you should look at the least liked posts :)

We're just here to steal unicorns and flip them, duh

Okay I have another one, the terms "workhorse" and "laser" the community uses are understandable to differentiate between styles generally, but stupid. Let me illustrate:

A knife nerd finally makes their pilgrimage to their favourite maker's workshop in Japan, spending thousands of dollars for the journey. They get there and get a chance to start talking to their personal hero, and start to ask them about the difference in the 2014 vs the 2015 batches, which had a little more of a workhorse feel to them. Here's the punchline: the maker has no ****ing clue what they're talking about.

Correction. The maker won't let in to talk because have no idea who the F your are. It's particularly rude to drop in unannounced. and not be introduced by another someone. They don't care your a fanboy and the small details we fawn about. It's different culture in general.

BST should allow people who have had a genuine bad experience with the seller to say something pointed.

I find the litany of bad excuses why any BST knife is ‘the **** but I just can’t buy it now...’ tiresome

I wish makers and vendors were around more

Back