Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where is the unlike button again?

...................a Gyuto can be used for any task in the kitchen, there is no NEED for 20 different knife profiles.

Ahh this would be a difference in the way we use decimal separator. in many countries it is a "." in others it is a ","

In Denmark decimal separator is comma and the full stop is used to divide groups of numbers for easier readability.

Then again, it is actually recommended in ISO-8601 to use a space instead.

Thus I could have thought of this and instead written 100 000

Apologies.

Heh, sorry, I know. I was being intentionally obtuse in order to make a joke about the Earth being 100 yrs old. Gotta include the ;)!

Heh, sorry, I know. I was being intentionally obtuse in order to make a joke about the Earth being 100 yrs old. Gotta include the ;)!

I quite know, but was intentionally playing along. Had to, you understand, you might've been one of the ones who believed it to be true that earth is e.g. 2000-6000 years old and I did not want to be more aggravating in that case :)

Reactions: ian
My buddy manufacturers airplane parts (some precision involved). They are total pirates on units. Whatever gets the job done. They use thou. All day. It's true, it's just a nice unit. For precision machining it's just a really easy unit for talking about.

"Tolerance on this part is 3 thou." And "this table is flat to 0.2 thou" etc. Just happens to be the right size. You're (usually) talking about tolerance, not overall dimensions.

For chemistry, you measure **** in moles. How that for a unit, feckers.

Also meters are stupid as a base unit. Nothing in my life is a meter. It makes a great basis for a system, but nothing else.

Also, the moon is flat. That's how you know the photos are faked.
As a chemist... moles. Yeah.
As units of measurements... let’s try smoot.

I'm too stupid for the imperial system.
My brain melts when people go into "ten-thou". Like 'a one ten-thou gap' vs 'a ten thou gap'... they're the same thing to my ears, but the latter is a hundred times bigger. o_O

1 ten thousandths of an inch1/10000 inch0.0001 inches0.00254 mm
10 thousandths of an inch10/1000 inch0.01 inches0.254 mm

So because of this, ten-thou can be smaller than both nine-thou and eleven-thou. Machinists tried simplifying it by shortening it from "ten-thou" to "tenths", so now there are two different ways to measure "tenths" of an inch.

Thanks, I hate it.

Shouldnt "ten-thou" be hunds?

On topic: everyone shits on knife sets, but is fine with ten 240mm gyutos, 8 of which get cycled around BST.

The Kramer Zwilling 51200 10 inch chef knife once thinned is just as good if not better than any of my knives. It cuts like a charm, that profile is good with pull or push cuts and its more versatile than the traditional japanese gyuto profile. The steel is very cool: shaving sharp after two weeks of use in every meal in the kitchen. Fit and finish is flawless. I like it

Ah, see, I thought we were talking about overall musicality, not just VROOM VROOM RAWR!!! speed!!! 🚅🚅🚅 🔥 🔥 🔥 ;)

(Also, I loved Vai in Yankee Rose, from DLR's short-lived supergroup :p

(I saw Extreme with Mr Big supporting here in Melbourne a couple of years ago - Paul was good but spent the whole set goofing off, clearly on autopilot, which was disappointing, as I really like him. Billy was utterly UTTERLY amazing, as expected, and Eric can very clearly no longer sing. OTOH, Extreme were even better than I expected, and I'd waited two decades to see them. Only disappointment was the (as expected) truncated version of Decadance Dance :( I just love that opening chord...)

My roommate and I played extreme's vip tent at their concert in Boston ten years ago. Quite good. Gary would do vocals on some of my old roommate's (Rick Berlin) sometimes.
Also throwing Eric Johnson into the guitarist ring.

Don,

I'm sure this will be a popular opinion - good to see you stopping by Don.

Hopefully we'll see you some more and not just in threads where everyone (except me) is loony tunes

Bless their hearts.

I browse here every now and then, I should chime in more.

I don’t get it, how come +/-0.0005" is intuitive but +/-0.001mm (1micron) for example is not?

The standard I'm describing in machining and tolerancing is that 0.001" (aka a thou) is basically a standard. We use it for everything. If I make a guard for a knife as an example and 0.200" would be a perfect press fit, 0.199" would be too tight, and 0.201" now is a slip fit. Try to do that in millimeters; you can convert it for sure, but the scale just isn't as convenient.

We work in thou's, half thou's, and tenths of a thou because it is a common enough increment that makes a measurable difference in our operations and fitments.

My buddy manufacturers airplane parts (some precision involved). They are total pirates on units. Whatever gets the job done. They use thou. All day. It's true, it's just a nice unit. For precision machining it's just a really easy unit for talking about.

"Tolerance on this part is 3 thou." And "this table is flat to 0.2 thou" etc. Just happens to be the right size. You're (usually) talking about tolerance, not overall dimensions.

Exactly this.

Because "intuitive" doesn't mean "sensible," it means "what I grew up with/learned and so I automatically think in these terms."

There's nothing wrong with that, but it's not a good defence of the rationality a measuring system because it's necessarily limited to people who grew up with/learned those systems initially (whatever that system is). It's especially bad when the system being rejected is decimal/linear and thus significantly easier to make sense of overall.

No, I use both metric and imperial. In materials engineering all we used was metric, and in manufacturing all we used was imperial. I'm used to both. What I've described above is exactly why imperial is more intuitive for these processes, because the increment is scaled better for the purpose.

For a thought experiment, imagine one millimeter right now, you can probably make a pinching gesture and estimate that size. It's not actually that small, and the human eye and fingers can reduce that further and still comprehend it. Or for our crowd, imagine an edge one millimeter thick; that's a ****in beefy boi. Now to do that with the next unit down, a micron, it's not really comprehendable.

One thou is absolutely an intuitive unit for working with machines and parts.

I frankly don't understand the difficulty with knowing how to work with two different measurement systems.

It's like being a chef, and knowing how to cook with French techniques and with Chinese techniques. Sure, you likely only need to know one in order to get a job, but knowing both makes you a much better cooking professional. Or like knowing how to use Android and crApple devices. Or like knowing how to operate a motorcycle and a car.

I frankly don't understand the difficulty with knowing how to work with two different measurement systems.

It's like being a chef, and knowing how to cook with French techniques and with Chinese techniques. Sure, you likely only need to know one in order to get a job, but knowing both makes you a much better cooking professional. Or like knowing how to use Android and crApple devices. Or like knowing how to operate a motorcycle and a car.

Well, doing calculations in an unfamilar system might be similar to asking a chef who never before cooked Thai food to do it. It might be "ok" but it will never compare to the real deal imo.

Today, I assembled a sandbox for the kids. It told me all numbers in "....

Try that with a measuring device that only has cm and mm.....

2" and 4/9". Aint going to be precise in any way....

dunno what to tell you. I can measure, calculate and design in both systems (have scales tape measures for both). And with respect to cooking, scales and pyrex measuring cups have both systems of units. Armed with measuring spoons. measuring cups and a scale you can pretty easily work in either set of units.

Also, I can't wrap my arms around why people in other countries get their panties in a wad about what we use here in the US. Changing the system requires a massive, massive effort and expense. It was tried once and abandoned because it was not worth it. Plenty of other countries export goods to the US that use metric measurements, fittings, etc. and we have can accommodate those goods. No big deal having two sets of wrenches/ sockets. Most people here who deal with mechanical systems can easily deal with either standard.

Unpopular opinion of my day seemed to be that the walk-in fridge door needs to be closed.
it was 36°c out (google tells me that’s 97° for most of you) and 99% of staff think it’s alright to go in thefridge and leave the door open 😡

I browse here every now and then, I should chime in more.

The standard I'm describing in machining and tolerancing is that 0.001" (aka a thou) is basically a standard. We use it for everything. If I make a guard for a knife as an example and 0.200" would be a perfect press fit, 0.199" would be too tight, and 0.201" now is a slip fit. Try to do that in millimeters; you can convert it for sure, but the scale just isn't as convenient.

We work in thou's, half thou's, and tenths of a thou because it is a common enough increment that makes a measurable difference in our operations and fitments.

Exactly this.

No, I use both metric and imperial. In materials engineering all we used was metric, and in manufacturing all we used was imperial. I'm used to both. What I've described above is exactly why imperial is more intuitive for these processes, because the increment is scaled better for the purpose.

For a thought experiment, imagine one millimeter right now, you can probably make a pinching gesture and estimate that size. It's not actually that small, and the human eye and fingers can reduce that further and still comprehend it. Or for our crowd, imagine an edge one millimeter thick; that's a ****in beefy boi. Now to do that with the next unit down, a micron, it's not really comprehendable.

One thou is absolutely an intuitive unit for working with machines and parts.

I think you are confusing intuitive with familiar.
0.001 of an inch is equally intuitive as 0.001 of a millimetre or 0.001 of a stone. Obviously, all this measurements will be different and to be frank with you I can not picture any of them. But 0.001 of something is pretty self explanatory.

And as for your thou example, if thou would mean 0.00001 meter (10micron) for example it would as intuitive as it is now, because your machinery, plans and tolerances would be based on that measurement.

I understand that you are familiar with what you are, but it does not make it more or less intuitive.

Leaving cooler doors open is up there with sweeping someone’s feet with a broom.

E962F2AD-B1A6-4A0B-9DA7-5BB87E2908A1.gif

The standard I'm describing in machining and tolerancing is that 0.001" (aka a thou) is basically a standard.
Because, as explained earlier, it's what you're used to. And for no other reason than that, as multiple posters have said. "Familiarity because I grew up with it" and "only possible system/standard" are not the same thing.

Because, as explained earlier, it's what you're used to. And for no other reason than that, as multiple posters have said. "Familiarity because I grew up with it" and "only possible system/standard" are not the same thing.
I know of at least a few machinists and engineers in Korea who work with imperial as well as metric because, as Don says, it's a lot easier to say something is a thou off than it is to say .0254 mil off, or even saying .03 mil off. His point is that thou is convenient to work with for tolerances because most things will be in single digits, or at most double digits, when measured in thou.

Americans need to stop using imperial weights and measures. Its the 21st Century guys and only the US, Liberia and Myanmar never got the email.

I wish that was true. It is beyond me why wheel (rim) sizes are in inches, but tire sizes are in millimeters... both in Europe and US.

What I'm saying though is that every increment of a thou is a physically intuitive and incredibly useful standard. One mm is useless for precision and one micron is too small (and apparently there's nothing in between those units...). Even 0.1mm is too large for intuitive machining operations.

It is quite a while ago when 1 micrometer was too small in cutting edge engineering. And those more mundane technical fields work perfectly fine numbers like 10 micrometers. To me it makes more sense to talk about numbers large than 1 in given unit, rather than 0.000000something.

I wish that was true. It is beyond me why wheel (rim) sizes are in inches, but tire sizes are in millimeters... both in Europe and US.
I cannot understand why a 700mm bike wheel is actually 622mm at the rim. For some dumb reason 700 is supposed to be the edge of the tire. But tires come in different sizes...
Get it together people

Back