Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of fats and carbs. Terrible for you, that combination, but it's hyper-palatable, for sure.
Don't forget the salt and acid!
I’m a month into keto...MacDonalds discussion is quite triggering lol.

Probably switching to Paleo soon though.
As a dietician once told me, "eat some carbs, b***h"

Don't forget the salt and acid!
Yeah, it all adds up to EAT MOAR, for sure.

As a dietician once told me, "eat some carbs, b***h"
Yeah, well, looking around, I'm not so sure that traditional (by which we mean "the last 50 years of our entire human history") dietary advice is all that great for us, ya know? ;)

The concept of eating whole foods should go well beyond just an idea related to a low carb diet.
Absolutely, I wasn't saying that was the only way to do it, but you'd be surprised (maybe) at how many people are looking to go "low-carb" while still eating garbage. "Stop eating all that processed crap" is the best thing you can do for your diet, along with stopping eating sugar (and sugar precursors) and seed oils (PUFAs). "Eat around the edges of the supermarket" as they say.

Yeah, well, looking around, I'm not so sure that traditional (by which we mean "the last 50 years of our entire human history") dietary advice is all that great for us, ya know? ;)
Got it. Turn the food pyramid sideways until desert is on bottom.

Oh for F*%&$ sake!
Now could somebody please start a damn diet trend thread.
Every time I try to get this thread back on track you guys go 4 pages deep on a tangent.

..........................back to unpopular opinions.

Spending more time polishing, petting, caressing, and staring at your knives is stupid.
They are tools so use them.

Oh for F*%&$ sake!
Now could somebody please start a damn diet trend thread.
Every time I try to get this thread back on track you guys go 4 pages deep on a tangent.

..........................back to unpopular opinions.

Spending more time polishing, petting, caressing, and staring at your knives is stupid.
They are tools so use them.
this gonna trigger half of kkf, hahahaha

I haven't read the post in a few days, been too busy at work!

On the Moon topic, isn't the Moon made out of cheese? :facepalm: how do we land on cheese? Do we jump from the flat earth? :D

Keto Breath sucks, mine smelled like rotten cauliflower farted in my mouth, but it went away quickly.

I have been cheating off and on the past few weeks. McDonalds, Chinese food, cookies, chips, etc. My excuse is my fiance started Keto this week, so I have been eating all of the "bad" foods in the house so she wouldn't be tempted. Not sure how I justified 4 candy bars in 1 day though since I went out and bought those! oops! :D I don't count carbs/calories anymore, but I have been snacking more on keto stuff, so I am probably around 40 grams of carbs a day and 2500 calories roughly and seem to be maintaining my weight. Dirty keto seems to work for me to maintain and if I cheat for a day or meal, I don't get violently sick.

I do Keto sweets all of the time using Erythritol or however you spell it. Keto cheesecakes, cookies (snickerdoodles, ginger, chocolate chip using Lily no sugar chips with stevia, with almond flour), cakes, no bake cheesecake type stuff, etc. Polar Ice drinks or Coke zero when I want a soft drink. I use the Skinny Mix drink mixes to flavor water. Yeah, they have sucralose and other chemical sugars, but they don't seem to bother me with maintaining weight, giving me sugar cravings or anything like that.

I have good recipes for Keto Lasagna using zucchini in sheets or cabbage leaves, killer seafood lasagna, baked cauliflower ziti, good tortilla recipes to do soft tacos, etc. I do a lot with cheese sauces, which I love. I have a recipe for a killer General Tso type sauce that is great on chicken, shrimp, salmon, etc. Good Honey Mustard sauces with erythritol.

My typical meal is skip breakfast, salad (3-4oz greens, 2oz protein, 1/2oz cheese, 1oz pickles, 1 oz olives and 2T salad dressing) for lunch. Dinner is 8-12oz protein, 10-16oz veggies roughly (brocolli, zucchini, cauliflower, cabbage, rutabaga, turnips, celeriac usually) and usually a cheese sauce or general tso sauce or just spices. I have been doing a lot of casseroles lately and cauliflower crust pizzas. Grilled food is great, too. I eat almonds, pistashios and pork rinds for snacks. I found popcorn flavor powders work great to flavor pork rinds or nuts to give them a different taste so they don't get boring.

I started Keto in Oct 2018 when I weighed 360#. 54 weeks later, I was down to 200#. Since Oct 2019, I haven't been tracking foods and usually try not to cheat on the diet, but do have cheat meals occasionally. Last time I got weighed a couple months ago, I was around 215-220# or so, and have been at that weight for several months.

Unpopular opinion: Cheap knives can often perform almost the same as a knife costing several times more :)

Can’t half azz it. Gotta go sub 20grams of carbs a day to hit ketosis. I guess chronic diarrhea means I hit ketosis 3 weeks ago.
I have been going under 20 a day. But I've had a couple of times I didn't. But I can tell it's making a big difference. I'm not craving carbs and sugar like I was. It was getting bad for me. With working so much I found myself just grabbing whatever and definetely craving lots of sweets. Plus, I have always had a sweet tooth. I'm also ok with dropping weight gradually, which I've been doing.

Honestly, the healthier approach if you have time is to eat a normal balanced diet and work out. Losing weight is a simple equation of calories in, calories out. Keto itself doesn't lose more weight, but people do eat a lot less calories when they limit their diet to keto. But I can't give up my Dos or Shiner or Cabs or scotches, so I'd rather just work out and float around 12-16% body fat. Heck, I'm trying to put on muscle mass right now, trying to get above 170.

Yeah, I try not to do the fake sugars in soft drinks, but it's nice to have available. I usually drink around 80-120oz of water a day. The diet sodas and water flavoring syrups are a nice break from plain water all of the time, but I try to stay with the more natural sugars for my sweets. Fiance is starting Keto and is used to regular soda, so I am trying to find things to ween her off of the sweets to make it an easier transition.

If I cheat, I gotta focus the next several days to get back into ketosis and ignore the sugar cravings! Everyone is different; some can maintain ketosis with more carbs than others can. 20 is recommended, but if you are at 25 or 30 for a day or two here or there, it won't really effect you much, especially if you've been strict for over 6 weeks since it takes the body around 6 weeks to fully turn over to burning fat for energy. I found if I stalled weight loss wise, I would go up to around 30-35 carbs and then back down the next day and I would start losing weight again. I was very strict for the first 9 months of Keto and was losing an ave of 4# a week from October 2018 to Aug 2019. Since Aug 2019, I am doing more of a dirty keto, but not tracking carb/calorie/macro stuff, much more enjoyable long term.

The diarrhea usually doesn't last (Keto Woosh!). If it does, you may be allergic/sensitive to something. I found out I was allergic to Sesame Oil, gave me the runs bad. Zylitol and Allulose give me the runs bad, but if I introduce Zylitol in small amounts over a week or so and build up, I build up a tolerance and don't have issues with it for a while. I know I am bad with Sorbitol, too.

Keto balanced out my GI issues I used to have a lot of, plus it lowered my weight a lot and lowered my cholesterol, blood pressure and heart rate. My fiance has chronic inflammation issues, which keto is supposed to help out with. We will probably do a more balanced Keto with less fat content and more balanced overall and see how that goes for long term once she hits her weight goal.

Artificial sweeteners are horrible. If you are willing to sacrifice your health to maintain your weight, I suggest cocaine. Its a whole lot more fun and probably has less side effects than a diet soda.
Only if consumed as green leafs in salad.

Double double with cocaine sounds fun though.

Haven't been to Macdonalds in two decades. Take out at outlets these days lines are long. Liked Whoppers better flame broiled lettuce, tomato, pickles.

Working in a kitchen for me hard to keep pounds off. Now no problem as buy all our food mostly fresh. Also have a garden . Staying away from food with lots of salt & sugar. Protein seafood.

Remember when ketosis was a medical condition that should be avoided. Ask almost nutritionist, I bet they will tell you it still is.
No, it never was. Although nutritionists will tell you a lot of rubbish, agreed.

Are you sure you're not confusing it with ketoacidosis?
This.

Back