Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yanks are the last to be throwing stones in a tea shop. Just look at the selection in the supermarkets. Liptons FFS
I have to import mine from the UK to get a decent cuppa
We throw tea in the harbor, thank you very much! Maybe if you won you wouldn't need to import it?

it's true actually (about the coffee, not pizza/fashion)... Italians know espresso, but they don't understand coffee. They think you can just combine espresso and hot water, but Americanos are undrinkable swill. I'm not sure anyone seriously drinks them, and suspect they're more of a joke at the expense of Americans. Either way, it's not possible to get a proper cup of coffee in Italy.

I am a bad late to the party, but what's with the obsession to know exactly how long and wide the knife is? Does it really matter if it's 239mm or 241mm or 54mm or 56mm tall? Really?

And you didn't figure out that espresso drinks are made with dark roast coffee...like I said, Brits should stick to their cuppa...
There's a difference between dark roast and carbonized. And real Italian coffee beans are not roasted that dark. Look at Illy and Lavazza beans.

it's true actually (about the coffee, not pizza/fashion)... Italians know espresso, but they don't understand coffee. They think you can just combine espresso and hot water, but Americanos are undrinkable swill. I'm not sure anyone seriously drinks them, and suspect they're more of a joke at the expense of Americans. Either way, it's not possible to get a proper cup of coffee in Italy.
I guess you're talking about home brewed coffee using a traditional Bialetti. And I agree that sux. But proper espresso made on a La Marzocco is heaven. Heck even the Brits can make machines that are world beaters. Here's mine

Screen Shot 2020-08-13 at 8.16.53 PM.png

yes, I'd argue that coffee ≠ espresso, the same way bacon ≠ pancetta though it's made of the same thing

yes, I'd argue that coffee ≠ espresso, the same way bacon ≠ pancetta though it's made of the same thing
I'd argue the major differentiator is the way the coffee is extracted. ie contact time with hot water, water pressure and accuracy of temp control. I'd also argue they totally understand the science of coffee.

I guess you're talking about home brewed coffee using a traditional Bialetti. And I agree that sux. But proper espresso made on a La Marzocco is heaven. Heck even the Brits can make machines that are world beaters. Here's mine

View attachment 90336

I'm guessing he was referring to an Americano. Obviously a single shot espresso machine will make a nicer shot but I grew up drinking out a stove top moka and still enjoy it.

Also more often then not espresso is usually a blend of beans while a quality cup of American brewed coffee is usually a single origin of bean.

I'm guessing he was referring to an Americano. Obviously a single shot espresso machine will make a nicer shot but I grew up drinking out a stove top moka and still enjoy it.

Also more often then not espresso is usually a blend of beans while a quality cup of American brewed coffee is usually a single origin of bean.
True. But then the very traditional Italians don't drink 'coffee' perhaps because they know diluting the shot too much changes the chemistry and makes it disgusting. Stick to instant or a lungo

If you need to show some stock picture of a fancy coffee machine to show what you know about coffee, then you know nothing about coffee...

Reactions: ian
In 50 words or less tell me everything I need to know about coffee @Corradobrit1
-Buy fresh coffee, if it doesn't have a roast date, don't buy it.
-People mistake coffee strength with roast level often. Stronger coffee is all about dose, not roast level. Lighter roasted coffee is awesome.
-Figure out what flavors in coffee you like and what regions they come from. Don't get caught up in feel good marketing like "fair trade organic" or "direct trade". It's all ********, coffee by nature, is fair trade.
-Try as many brew methods as you possibly can. I recommend starting with a good pour over (v60, beehouse, chemex) or aeropress.
Invest time into learning about coffee. Start with fresh coffee, a scale, and a brew method (measure water temp, weight, brew time). Plenty of resources to get you started. Skip espresso as a beginner IMO. Learn coffee first.
-The majority of you budget for coffee gear needs to go towards a grinder as it makes the biggest difference in the cup.

Damn thats prolly a lot more than 50 words, sorry!

I buy Starbucks beans and brew my own coffee. This is also frowned upon?
It really comes down to how they roast the beans to the edge of too much, and then roast them a tad more just to be sure. There are loads and loads of very good roasters out there, selling through supermarkets and direct via UPS. For some people the flavor/ taste of Starbucks beans is fine, and for others not so much. Years back I tried a variety of the beans/ roasts they were offering, and some were pretty decent. But I have not tried any of their beans in quite some time. I have had a couple coffees brought to me fro some of their cafes though, and they have been horrible.

Back