Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
True audiophiles just plug the ethernet cable directly into their ears, for a truly lossless experience.

Probably we should direct the audio kkf thread here to enrage people.

Last edited:
10k of room treatment with 10k of gear will smash any amount of gear in a crappy room.

but the margins on those floor standers buys the sales guy a new BMW so guess which you're gonna get sold on D:

also most audiophile types are so nuts they've convinced themselves that Steely Dan is the greatest band ever (I mean they're fine but come on).

I personally find Adam powered monitors do well enough and I just dont care beyond that point. even most modern classical isnt recorded well enough to justify.

my favorite sounding record is from 1960 🤷

Most audiophiles are on a journey to try to discover how much they need to con themselves - as measured by how much they're spending - in order to prop up their ego to the point that they're able to live with themselves, albeit for a tiny amount of time, before they then need to spend yet more in order to try to regain that fleeting nirvana.

They make the TF-deniers look sane by comparison.

Jeez Years ago had a friend one of those smart guys he would build his own large speakers. Tube amps liked to go over to his house with cool sound effect movies. He taught me about sound waves placement of speakers for sweet spot.

He bought two large textbooks to become a Microsoft systems engineer. Didn't even go to class read the books went to mainland to take the test passed it.

Now I have two PSB towers & a subwoofer for TV & music. One thing about good speakers get what you like because they will last for many decades.

Uni-directional speaker cables. At $1,000 a meter. They are the thing man!

Just make sure to connect them in the correct direction. Otherwise, they'll sounds like sh*t, man. But, it's easy to tell when they are wrong. It'll sound awful. So, just connect them the other way 'round, man. It'll all be good then…

Uni-directional speaker cables. At $1,000 a meter. They are the thing man!

Just make sure to connect them in the correct direction. Otherwise, they'll sounds like sh*t, man. But, it's easy to tell when they are wrong. It'll sound awful. So, just connect them the other way 'round, man. It'll all be good then…

You're forgetting the mass loaded risers so that they are not affected by physical movements.

I so wish I was joking.....

An entire hobby devoted to extreme subtleties that many people can’t hear at all
Replace the word "hear" with the words "benefit from", and this phrase could be the subtitle/description for KKF. :)

Replace the word "hear" with the words "benefit from", and this phrase could be the subtitle/description for KKF. :)
That is a definition of any hobby, if you are not interested in the extreme subtleties you shouldn't be playing. Gets silly at times sure, but again, any hobby is like that.

Seems pretty different to me. Differences (in terms of aesthetics and performance) between knives are tangible and real. The joke was about buying a $10,000 ethernet cable that isn’t going to make a difference in the aural experience. But hey, maybe it looks sexy, and placebos are real.

On the other hand, it’s true that Denkas cut and sharpen better than Mabaroshis because they cost more. So, maybe you’re right!

Seems pretty different to me. Differences (in terms of aesthetics and performance) between knives are tangible and real. The joke was about buying a $10,000 ethernet cable that isn’t going to make a difference in the aural experience. But hey, maybe it looks sexy, and placebos are real.

On the other hand, it’s true that Denkas cut and sharpen better than Mabaroshis because they cost more. So, maybe you’re right!
I know the cable is utterly insignificant... I have a total of 3 or 4 old vinyl LPs somewhere, and everything I listen to happens on my phone, because it's on me. I don't own anything with a speaker bigger than about 3 inches.

A lot of people here remember their "first good knife", and of those, a very high percentage have achieved little to no usable benefit from buying other ones after it.

I think most people here would beg to differ on that. After good knives usually come even better knives. Then there's different types of knives... different approaches to the same kind of knife, etc.... Sure, there's diminishing returns, and maybe a few cases where there's some placebo going on, but it's nothing like the audio world where selling complete nonsense is a viable business model.

(I seem to have a slight problem, in which I accidentally post actual unpopular opinions on "unpopular opinions" threads. Sorry about that. 🙃 )

I know the cable is utterly insignificant... I have a total of 3 or 4 old vinyl LPs somewhere, and everything I listen to happens on my phone, because it's on me. I don't own anything with a speaker bigger than about 3 inches.

A lot of people here remember their "first good knife", and of those, a very high percentage have achieved little to no usable benefit from buying other ones after it.
How do you know whether this is the case? Or even how different people, with different use habits, goals, skill levels, etc. define "usable benefit"?

You are absolutely wrong but this being unpopular opinion thread you are right.

No car or took the speakers out? 🤔

This might be more unpopular at mall ninja dot com, but tanto tip/square tip pocket knives are u g l y.

This might be more unpopular at mall ninja dot com, but tanto tip/square tip pocket knives are u g l y.

Gecko45 disapproves this comment.

Any unfamiliar with that name should use their Google-Fu and strap in for the true origins of the original Mall Ninja.

Don't let Ernie E. or his glaze-eyed army hear you say that or someone might show up at your door and operator-deploy a Wave-equipped, chisel ground, tanto-tipped, knife-like-wedge-thing that cost two bills and go all tacticool on your unlearned, unappreciative self.

Now, if one of them does show up, I recommend just deploying a simple slip joint and calmly slicing and eating an apple, Granny Smiths really stand out and snatch their gaze. It sends them into a frenzy of anger and confusion and they generally run away.

;)

There are a couple French slipjoints I’m looking at, since it seems I’m falling into that particular rabbit hole.(lapin?)

Back