Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've enjoyed kms greatly actually. And met alot of them and awesome folks. Any review is a good one 😛

I like any review as well. I don't think tongue in cheek is coming through very well. It's good natured ribbing...

Also, R 4eva. If you have tidy verse. I hear Python is nice too.

Python pays the bills. At least I dont have to use SAS/SPSS/Matlab anymore which was how I did that for the first 5 or 6 years of my career.

Ultimately though Im a Rust shill:
tenor.gif

me and the boys getting ready to save a jpg on our vintage computer

1619904016773.png

Attachments

• 1619904000881.png
    1619904000881.png
    289.4 KB · Views: 21
This thread was good once upon a time, a long, long , time ago.

And another 80% recoding because I wasn't smart enough the first time >.<

In keeping with the previous theme:

549f51f2-08ab-48fe-b239-070113644d43_text.gif

Good luck!

Recent reviews in a nutshell

I would also guess that the percentage of thesis completed is inversely proportional to amount of knowledge accrued of internet memes and jokes.

Well... since you opened that can of worms... and this is the unpopular opinions thread....

emacs > vim

Did you try
Code:
C-x C-t thesis-auto-fill
It puts parentheses... everywhere... but it can get you out of a bind...

Well... since you opened that can of worms... and this is the unpopular opinions thread....

emacs > vim

Did you try
Code:
C-x C-t thesis-auto-fill
It puts parentheses... everywhere... but it can get you out of a bind...
You are such an evil bastard

For the record, all I know is Rstudio, which is a pretty killer IDE

I like R. Thought about making a career move to data science but somehow got sucked into another chef job.
Seriously? How did you get started?
It's funny, because now having to do generalized linear mixed model regressions for a quarter, I'm also thinking about going back into a kitchen. Ugg.

I like R. Thought about making a career move to data science but somehow got sucked into another chef job.

(a serious aside)

if you ever decide you want to go for it, feel free to ping me. Im coming up on my 10 year anniversary in data science work here in a few months.

that goes for anyone else, too. whether it's education, interviewing, honest takes on what it's like to do it, even pointing you to a recruiter, etc.

Seriously? How did you get started?
It's funny, because now having to do generalized linear mixed model regressions for a quarter, I'm also thinking about going back into a kitchen. Ugg.

The pandemic took away my job and my feet are no good. So I thought I would retire from cooking. A friend of mine is a statistician and she told me I would like data science stuff. I made it through 7 courses of a Coursera R/data science specialization. But then I found a new gig that will hopefully be a little less strenuous and crazy than typical kitchen work.

**** man. Well good luck on our feet. My partner wears crocs inside at home from foot issues, and says it helps tremendously. I tell her the crocs suck all the sexy out of the room, and she correctly ignores me.

Did you enjoy the coding you started? R can be hard to get into, and it's quirky, but really flexible in ways I appreciate the more I use it.

Last edited:
(a serious aside)

if you ever decide you want to go for it, feel free to ping me. Im coming up on my 10 year anniversary in data science work here in a few months.

that goes for anyone else, too. whether it's education, interviewing, honest takes on what it's like to do it, even pointing you to a recruiter, etc.
I think I will....

**** man. Well good luck on our feet. My partner wears crocs inside at home from foot issues, and says it helps tremendously. I tell her the crocs suck all the sexy out of the room, and she rightly ignores me.

Did you enjoy the coding you started? R can be hard to get into, and it's quirky, but really flexible in ways I appreciate the more I use it.

I really enjoy coding in R. I don't have a computer science background so I can't really compare it to other languages. But I've always been into math and statistics and spreadsheets. And I was planning to use the knowledge to stay doing something related to food and beverage. And R is pretty intuitive for they kind of stuff. Like building generalized linear models off of sales history to make predictions about future demand to help with purchasing and scheduling. Or isolating the seasonality effect of your hotel occupancy.

Bro you need to get a coding job while you still can! I have a software engineering degree and applied for a year and didn't get 1 call. 20+ years in the restaurant business. I got a gig as an electrician doing mainly PLC programming so I'm happy. It's 125k a year and 6 weeks vaca to start so I'm kinda glad I didn't get any calls.

Bro you need to get a coding job while you still can! I have a software engineering degree and applied for a year and didn't get 1 call. 20+ years in the restaurant business. I got a gig as an electrician doing mainly PLC programming so I'm happy. It's 125k a year and 6 weeks vaca to start so I'm kinda glad I didn't get any calls.

I've chosen all the wrong professions.

I am going to keep working on it. But now I have to open a new restaurant first, lol. I'm think I'm going to take a few community college courses over the next couple of years (it has been twenty years since I took calculus or linear algebra, and I need some basic computer science and some python). Then I might apply to a grad program.

please correct me if this is a wrong understanding, but that salary seems pretty fair for a job where half the training is how to avoid dying a horrible death.

please correct me if this is a wrong understanding, but that salary seems pretty fair for a job where half the training is how to avoid dying a horrible death.
Safety is shoved down your throat on day 1. It's our #1 priority. Every day we deal with 4mv to 4160v. We burn trash and turn it into steam which inturn turns it to electricity. We don't do anything we aren't comfortable with. My team consists mainly of guys that have been there for over 20 years. The lockout/tagout procedures are in place for a reason. I have more risk of having a heart attack from climbing the 200' smokestack than I do of electrocution. Not many electricians make 125k a year bro I assure you. I got lucky AF! Luck defined as preparation meets opportunity! It took my until I was 45 to get out of the restaurant business. That place will kill you! I must admit though I am grateful for my knife and saute pan tossing skills!

Back