Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To me, unlabeled posts are like people who went to Harvard saying “Where did I go to school, you ask? Oh, in Boston. Well, not actually in Boston, you know, just a little across the river. It was great being there, I had lots of friends at all the other Boston area colleges, like Tufts, Brandeis, MIT, BC, BU, Northeastern, Clemson, Emerson, and Babson, to name a few. But what I liked best about my college was being right on the red line, only four stops up from downtown. It was just so nice to be able to be on a beautiful red brick campus while still having all of Boston and Cambridge accessible. Oh, it’s not important what the name of the school was, everyone’s college education is equally important.”

*I think the first sentence or two of the quote is from some comedy act or something. I forget whose act it was though

Last edited:
To me, unlabeled posts are like people who went to Harvard saying “Where did I go to school, you ask? Oh, in Boston. Well, not actually in Boston, you know, just a little across the river. It was great being there, I had lots of friends at all the other Boston area colleges, like Tufts, Brandeis, MIT, BC, BU, Northeastern, Clemson, Emerson, and Babson, to name a few. But what I liked best about my college was being right on the red line, only four stops up from downtown. It was just so nice to be able to be on a beautiful red brick campus while still having all of Boston and Cambridge accessible. Oh, it’s not important what the name of the school was, everyone’s college education is equally important.”

that is the best description of a Harvard alum Ive ever heard lmao

although I do have a slightly hard time believing that anyone from Northeastern would ever associate with an ivy leaguer

*I think the first sentence or two of the quote is from some comedy act or something. I forget whose act it was though

Oh cool, I know some people that went to Lesley.

When people say Shaptons have poor feedback I have no idea what they're talking about

... or is this a humble-brag 🤔
which shapton? frankly shaptons vary WAY more between grits/series than any two shiro suitas from the same mine Ive owned 🤷‍♂️
yea depends on the grit. My SP2k is awesome. But on the other hand, I honestly have no idea what the SP5k is good for. It doesnt feel good to use, the sharpened edge is not to my liking, and it's not particularly good for polishing. I'd sell it, but after shipping costs and paypal fees, it hardly seems worth my time to do even that.

Feedback is feel and sound when sharpening. Some stones feel creamy that's what I prefer. I don't like rough feel or hard feel of high grit stones. Ultimately though feel is the last thing I care about as long as it is better than diamond plates, those are bad enough that I don't use them even though they work too.

When people say Shaptons have poor feedback I have no idea what they're talking about

... or is this a humble-brag 🤔

The Shapton Pro 5K I had had no feedback. Felt like rubbing a knife back and forth on a perfectly flat surface. It worked but wasn't enjoyable. Even the Shapton Pro 12K I have has more feedback.

I like shapton pro 2k in as a touchup stone. It is a splash & go, very dish resistant, puts on touchup edge in a jiffy who cares if doesn't have feedback as long as it works.

Most decent cutlery stainless steel isn't as hard to sharpen as it is often made out. 🤷‍♂️
I think it depends on what you call 'decent steel' and 'hard to sharpen'. Even on decent the main difference IMO is that on carbon it's just easier. I just throw the knife in the general direction of the stone and it'll get screaming sharp with barely any application of time or technique.

Thanks to @FishmanDE for starting this conversation. I was also disturbed by the 9/11 commemorative knife, but hesitated to bring it up in that thread. Hopefully this is a better venue.

The argument that it's 'art' inspired by tragedy rings hollow to me. How is it art? What message does it convey? It's a kitchen knife with a tacky engraving that happens to be made out of a piece of the WTC... How is that significant or related to the attacks of September 11th, other than as a grotesque 'memento mori'?

If anything, it evokes a very different aspect of that time period - the retaliatory attacks on innocent Muslim-Americans in the aftermath of blind patriotism and violent hyper-nationalism:

"On September 30, 2001, Swaran Kaur Bhullar, a Sikh woman, was attacked by two men who stabbed her in the head twice as her car was idling at a red light in San Diego. The men shouted at her, "This is what you get for what you've done to us!""

To me, the best case scenario is that it represents a hollow cash grab by a knife maker who happened to get his hands on steel from the Twin Towers. But claiming it's art makes it far worse and much darker - what does it mean to turn a piece of the Trade Center into a potential weapon?

Never forget. Not only the initial attacks but also the violence committed afterwards in the name of "patriotism." Never forget the ~200,000 Iraqi civilians killed by an illegal and immoral invasion - how many of them were stabbed to death?

Tasteless, crass, and offensive. The maker should be ashamed.

Back