Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Basically anything George Carlin ever said, in the eyes of those people who were the objects of his humor.
I just watched his HBO special, or at least the first part. The balls he had to stand up on stage and say the things he said, during the times he said them... what a legend.

Am I the only one that thinks Arugula, and Butter Lettuce when making lettuce wraps, are the only legitimate lettuce?

I challenge your premise that lettuce wraps are even legitimate. Lettuce wraps are stupid. You want me to wrap that hot delicious meat filling in a cold, wet, tasteless, watery leaf so it loses half the flavor?

I always just eat the stuffing and leave the lettuce.

[But I actually like arugula so if you’re going to use arugula just mix it into the darn filling and call it a salad so I can use a fork.]

All the pans I see used in cooking videos are way too small and overcrowded.

Seriously, everybody is very delicately and slowly pushing ingredients around because they’re worried stuff will fly out the side of the pan because it’s way too small. Would it kill you to use a bigger pan with a higher edge so you can stir more vigorously?

I saw a Bingeing with Babbish where he realized his pan was too small and swapped it for a marginally bigger one, then realized that one was also too small and swapped it again. Like, are you that terrified of washing the bigger pans that you hate to use them?

I just watched his HBO special, or at least the first part. The balls he had to stand up on stage and say the things he said, during the times he said them... what a legend.
I've seen all of his specials, the guy was brilliant. If you get a chance, check out his National Press Club speech, it was magnificent.

DSC01883.jpg

🤷‍♂️

Anyone else notice how different Ritz crackers are now from not long ago?--crumbly, not buttery, and even the color's different (now pale and yellow with no orange).
File Ritz under "things that used to be good".
I do agree. My guess is they might be trying to gradually get rid of transfats. Partially hydrogenated cottonseed oil is still listed as an ingredient so they haven't eliminated it completely. But they have definitely had to change their recipe when the trans fat "ban" went into place (in 2018 I think?). And if I had to guess I would say they are probably trying to eventually transition to a 100% non trans fat recipe. The old full trans fat version had more flavor, was crunchier/less crumbly, and had a longer shelf life after opening before going stale. Those are all qualities easier to achieve with a bunch of transfat. Ritz can't sell them with transfats much of anywhere in the world except most of the US. Here the current FDA "ban" has a loophole where if your product has less than .5 grams of transfats per serving then you can claim that it has zero. But Ritz probably wouldn't mind being in other markets. And the US market is shrinking as more states and localities are moving toward a stricter ban than the current FDA regulation. Companies will often try and do things like reduce salt, fat, or sugar gradually so that customers are less likely to notice and backlash. But I do remember back in the day that a Ritz cracker was sturdy enough to handle smoked whitefish dip or pimento spread without crumbling into nothing. Probably going to create a black market of people cooking Oreos and Twinkies and Ritz in their basements with vegetable oil that they hydrogenate themselves in clandestine laboratories.

They could just make a proper version with butter for those of us who like to actually enjoy our food.... have the vegan fundamentalists chew on the bland tropical oil blend version...
Over here a lot of the cookies are made with crap oils these days but the motive is usually a financial one; it's simply a lot cheaper than making stuff with proper butter.

As far as the flavor Nabisco errrrrr kraft/PM errrrrr modelez have moved most of the traditional plant locations to Mexico.....nothing smells better than driving past a plant cranking them out. So much better than they ever tasted

I bet BLT sandwiches were just something that was invented by someone who didn't have cheese to put alongside his bacon and just improvised a poor man's substitute...

When it comes to BLT sandwiches there is no substitute to cold iceberg lettuce in my opinion. And of course, home grown tomatoes.
Iceberg? Yuck. Green leaf lettuce, romaine, arugula, anything but iceberg. Iceberg is only allowed in 2 circumstances: Cobb salad or Wedge salad. And even then I would probably go baby iceberg.

Back