Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
!!

I had imagined you as having the Texas drawl I so loved from the Lubbock of my youth.
Alas! For better or worse, Despite growing up in Arkansas, schoolin in Appalachia, and living in Texas for several years, I have no discernible accent. No one was more surprised than ole @nakiriknaifuwaifu

That said, give me about 10 pour of aforementioned bourbon and some Southern company and I somehow manage to slip into a drawl that eludes my normal self. What that says about me… I’m not sure.

Back to unpopular opinions - anyone who says their edges don’t need resharpening for a year or more (or some other hyperbole) either isn’t using their knives or doesn’t mind a dull but functional knife.

Alas! For better or worse, Despite growing up in Arkansas, schoolin in Appalachia, and living in Texas for several years, I have no discernible accent. No one was more surprised than ole @nakiriknaifuwaifu

That said, give me about 10 pour of aforementioned bourbon and some Southern company and I somehow manage to slip into a drawl that eludes my normal self. What that says about me… I’m not sure.

Back to unpopular opinions - anyone who says their edges don’t need resharpening for a year or more (or some other hyperbole) either isn’t using their knives or doesn’t mind a dull but functional knife.
Edge retention is great! After a year it still splits hairs. BTW I’m a home cook who cooks once a week and it’s in rotation with 100 different knives.

Well you are saying it's not right or wrong because it's a luxury good. I still think there are rights or wrongs. No one is going to die over it. But for 99% of us who do have to work and budget, but still want our luxury goods, practices of mark ups and hype markets do suck. Again, of course there are levels to it and there isn't an end of the world if we don't get what we want. More of a shame to me I guess.

We do share most of the same thinking. I guess I just find retailer practices more egregious than you even though people will still spend that money.
My biggest issue with it is that it's not so much a problem for the hardcore hobbyist (prices are still in a range where if you really want something, most of the knives on the market right now are still within reach), but it creates a bigger obstacle for getting people into the hobby. The price to entry is significantly higher than it was 5-10 years ago.
MSRP for a bottle of Pappy 15 has been $120 for years. I haven’t seen a bottle on the shelf for that price since I was in middle school. Now that I’m old enough and could afford that, it’s not to be found for less than 5-20x msrp. You don’t see me whinging about it on the internet. There is plenty of excellent stuff for me to explore besides.

Same with knives, maybe the knives that I originally dreamed of are now unattainable for one reason or another, but there are still tons of options to get good thrills. Never been a better time to be a kitchen cutlery consumer IMO

Agreed that there is whining, and now is the best time to be buying chef knives in history. But there are a lot of grumpy people ragging on the guy for whining. Let him whine if it makes him feel better. Hell his friends or family certainly won't care to listen, at least some of us can sympathize lol.
Experience here in Europe might be different due to exchange rates also factoring into this, but I really don't agree that right now is the best time to be a kitchen cutlery consumer. 5-10 years ago the high-end was a lot more accessible price-wise.

My biggest issue with it is that it's not so much a problem for the hardcore hobbyist (prices are still in a range where if you really want something, most of the knives on the market right now are still within reach), but it creates a bigger obstacle for getting people into the hobby. The price to entry is significantly higher than it was 5-10 years ago.

Experience here in Europe might be different due to exchange rates also factoring into this, but I really don't agree that right now is the best time to be a kitchen cutlery consumer. 5-10 years ago the high-end was a lot more accessible price-wise.
High end 10 years ago was a boring Shige. Or Kato. Or (God forbid) a Hattori KD

But these day we have custom makers everywhere making unicorns as we speak. High end steels, top HT, crazy Damascus patterns, etc

There were no knives on IG 10 years ago. And KKF was ugly.

High end 10 years ago was a boring Shige. Or Kato. Or (God forbid) a Hattori KD

But these day we have custom makers everywhere making unicorns as we speak. High end steels, top HT, crazy Damascus patterns, etc

There were no knives on IG 10 years ago. And KKF was ugly.
I remember thinking those Shigefusa knives seemed quite expensive at 300e... :D

I feel I'm one of the rare one on here that does lol, I think that's plenty popular. I feel like I did a loop. Going into using/collecting I wanted the craziest PM steels. Then I mixed a few carbon in. Then, pretty much exclusive carbon. And now I'm mixing a few more PM steels into the mix lol. They don't feel the best on the stones but I don't mind on my venev.

I am curious with one of the fancy vitrified diamond from BBB, JKI, or upcoming from tosho will feel. But not sure I want to make a $3-$500 investment on one diamond stone.

I feel I'm one of the rare one on here that does lol, I think that's plenty popular. I feel like I did a loop. Going into using/collecting I wanted the craziest PM steels. Then I mixed a few carbon in. Then, pretty much exclusive carbon. And now I'm mixing a few more PM steels into the mix lol. They don't feel the best on the stones but I don't mind on my venev.

I am curious with one of the fancy vitrified diamond from BBB, JKI, or upcoming from tosho will feel. But not sure I want to make a $3-$500 investment on one diamond stone.
My knives are completely bifurcated:

Kitchen knives: Mostly simple carbon, with some stray SG2 and VG-10
Pocket knives: A festival of trendy steels

For the fancy steels, I've been using the BBB vitrified diamond 1000. Love it. Not only is it very effective, but it makes stainless steels that are otherwise really annoying to sharpen (Hello, ZDP-189) seem easy. And it makes Maxamet, of all things, seem straightforward to sharpen, as though it were like any other steel.

There are fancy steels that are not stainless, and reasonably fun to sharpen. One of the big ones on the hype train now is K390, and I'm on the train. Takes a nice edge, fun to sharpen if you're not comparing to White steel, good edge retention. I'm somewhat surprised it's not showing up much (AFAIK) in the kitchen knife world. I'd imagine it would do pretty well.

My knives are completely bifurcated:

Kitchen knives: Mostly simple carbon, with some stray SG2 and VG-10
Pocket knives: A festival of trendy steels

For the fancy steels, I've been using the BBB vitrified diamond 1000. Love it. Not only is it very effective, but it makes stainless steels that are otherwise really annoying to sharpen (Hello, ZDP-189) seem easy. And it makes Maxamet, of all things, seem straightforward to sharpen, as though it were like any other steel.

There are fancy steels that are not stainless, and reasonably fun to sharpen. One of the big ones on the hype train now is K390, and I'm on the train. Takes a nice edge, fun to sharpen if you're not comparing to White steel, good edge retention. I'm somewhat surprised it's not showing up much (AFAIK) in the kitchen knife world. I'd imagine it would do pretty well.
K390 in mono is very difficult to deal with from the manufacturing perspective since it is very wear resistant and kitchen knives are huge as compared to pocket knives. If there was an easy source of laminated K390 then it might be different. I've only ever heard of 2 sources of laminated K390 and neither is really available. Even then you need diamond stones and most here will rather buy another $1K gyuto than spend the same on a few diamond stones.

Buying fancy knives saves you money!

Owning fancy knives makes you want to cook more and eat out less. If you have a couple people in your family, and eat out one or two times less per week, it would be easy to save about $50 a week. that’s $2500 a year! More than enough for a good knife budget.

Cutting with fancy knives makes you want to cut more and interesting things. Most of those interesting things are vegetables. So you eat more vegetables. Resulting in a healthier lifestyle which saves on medical bills, long-term.

Suffice to say, spending money on fancy knives is a good financial decision.

Owning fancy knives makes you want to cook more and eat out less. If you have a couple people in your family, and eat out one or two times less per week, it would be easy to save about $50 a week. that’s $2500 a year! More than enough for a good knife budget.

Cutting with fancy knives makes you want to cut more and interesting things. Most of those interesting things are vegetables. So you eat more vegetables. Resulting in a healthier lifestyle which saves on medical bills, long-term.

I started to buy good cookwares because of this exact reason, now i'm eating like a broke college student.

I buy fancy knives to relieve the stress. Then I have to fight the wife to actually prep a meal. And then I have to fight her to actually cut up ingredients as she wants to help with her dull as sh!t serrated knives.

I'm not sure I'm relieving my stress.

Back