Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i’m thinking porchetta may be perfect food. Can a turduckin be wrapped in pork belly? Pork belly cladding might be critical for optimal turkey.
…then stuffed into a lamb, which is stuffed into a milk fed calf. Think there’s a Roman dish like that.
Dammy.

Here’s the one truly superior handle
DD19FA19-D495-4348-8C9B-3F0F42DC05F8.jpeg

Pictures taken inside a car are the best!

Only if its @BillHanna taking the pictures though.

Because he's the only one who does it right.

In the background's he's got the windows down, stereo cranked, and maybe on the verge of a single tear, as he serenades his new packages with:

"Aaaannnnd IIIIIIIIIIIIIII-IUH Will ALLLLLLLLWAAAAYS Love Yoouuuuuu"

By Whitney Houston

At the top of his lungs as he gently caresses the packages between verses.

Go ahead, tell me you can't hear him belting Whitney with this pic:

Screenshot_20221129-040626_Brave.jpg

Last edited:

In the background's he's got the windows down, stereo cranked, and maybe on the verge of a single tear, as he serenades his new packages with:

By Whitney Houston

View attachment 211348
The only fuel I need is rectangles. ⛽

Yeah if you prefer something really far forward balanced you're out of luck, but I never found the balance on my western knives problematic. The 210s tend to balance at the front edge of the bolster, the 240s and up tend to balance about a centimeter in front of it. Works fine for me. As long as it's not midway down the handle like on my damn Wüsthof! :D
I think they might actually be deliberately shooting for that 'neutral' balance. Could be interesting to see what a ho-wood yo-handle would feel like.

It also doesn't really help that 95% of yo handles are all the same looking black pakkawood stuff. Most of them just look so damn boring... In that sense I can't really blame people shopping for a new knife for giving them a pass just based on looks alone.
If you hold the Wusthof Classic not with a pinch grip they balance great for me.

Exactly... they don't really sell whole turkeys here, but just like with any other bird I think just dumping it in the oven whole as a ball of flesh & bones without any preparation is just setting yourself up for failure.
I'd either cut it into parts, debone it entirely (turkey galantine anyone?) or spatchcock it.

Oh and on the 'which bird is best' discussion: guineafowl!
I think turkey works great whole. Cooking is no problem. And the gravy you get cooking it whole is great.
IMG_1070.jpg

IMG_1071.jpg

By Whitney Houston

View attachment 211348
Whitney works. So does Def Leppard - Poor Some Some Sugar On Me

If you hold the Wusthof Classic not with a pinch grip they balance great for me.
But I don't want to grab it by the rear end. It's a knife, not a woman...
I think turkey works great whole. Cooking is no problem. And the gravy you get cooking it whole is great.
View attachment 211377

View attachment 211378
Sure it's possible...but it's pretty much opting into 'difficult mode'. Yes, you can get great results this way, but it's basically the hardest method can use... If you can pull it off, great, but it's no surprise that many lesser cooks fail.
You can get the same jus / gravy when you spatchcok it, but it's much easier to get the internal temperatures properly.
And if you just debone the whole thing à la Peppin, like he does for a galantine, you just get a giant even thickness boneless slab that you can literally just fry in a pan, and have it coming out absolutely perfect with perfect crispy skin all over. Only complication I see is that chickens and guineafowls already require a 28 cm frying pan, so the turkey probaby comes out bigger than most people can fit in their largest pan, but I think you have just the right copper paella pan for it!

View attachment 211377

View attachment 211378

To each their own for sure, but break it down into primals, dry brine, and then cook the pieces for different lengths and it comes out excellent. Much easier to control temps. Can run the legs up to180+ but keep the breasts down around 155.

Use the carcass and trimmings for stock to go into the gravy and it will still be outstanding.

Yeah whenever I don't spatchcock my birds, my best results came from a flip of the bird at some point to not overcook the breasts, or having to make a tinfoil breast plate that i need to remember to remove at somepoint.

Though, I feel like if you prefer the breasts, then you likely eat your meat overcooked anyway 🤣🤣🤣

To each their own for sure, but break it down into primals, dry brine, and then cook the pieces for different lengths and it comes out excellent. Much easier to control temps. Can run the legs up to180+ but keep the breasts down around 155.

Use the carcass and trimmings for stock to go into the gravy and it will still be outstanding.
Yeah that's another advantage of dissasembling the bird before cooking; you can turn all the bones & trimmings into stock before cooking and then use that to deglaze whatever drippings you have in the pan.
Yeah whenever I don't spatchcock my birds, my best results came from a flip of the bird at some point to not overcook the breasts, or having to make a tinfoil breast plate that i need to remember to remove at somepoint.

Though, I feel like if you prefer the breasts, then you likely eat your meat overcooked anyway 🤣🤣🤣
I'm still shaking my head at the western world's insistence of collectively opting for the breasts as the 'meat of choice'. But it suits me; it means the tastier, juicier, and far more forgiving to cook legs end up being the cheaper cut to buy.
If I was asked to prep thanksgiving turkey I'd be tempted to just get a stack of legs and debone them...

Back