Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
-Almost all 'meat is bad' comparisons rely heavily on comparing vs beef, which is indeed by far the worst polluter, and massively stacks the deck. When you start looking at fish, eggs & chicken the picture changes drastically. Insects would likely be even better but I think no one wants to go there... But the difference between vegetarian and vegan is actually quite minimal as a result.
-I have yet to see a comparison that includes 'organic' vs 'industrial / bioindustry' produced meat. Probably because they prefer to hide the uncomfortable truth that animal-friendlyness and environmental-friendlyness are often at odds with eachother. Large scale, industialized produciton with fast-growing breeds is usually significantly more efficient when it comes to resources consumption / CO2. But the fact that these aren't seperated / specified properly is on its own indicative that the numbers are deliberately 'vague', considering there's a significant difference in their footprint.
-There's more to sustainability than just Co²...there's also things like water consumption. And just as an example, a lot of nuts are actually quite horrible at their water consumption. A kilo almonds costs about 16k liters of water. A kilo of cashews 14k. A kilo of chicken? Only 4k.
It always depends on the particular circumstances. Beef is a bad polluter in a large-scale, industrialised setting with their fodder being produced as cheap as possible on larger areas than food is produced for human consumption, many of them being deforested, and antibiotics being fed standardly. And that is the reality for most beef production on the globe. Then we find out that it's bad for our health, too, surprise surprise. All these things change if the cattle is held free-range and managed well, by which the carbon that is sequestered in soil outweighs pollutions by far, stimulate the growth of the pasture and the meat is rich in omega-3s instead of omega-6s etc (so yes, sustainability is so much more complex than Co2; you don't restore ecosystems just by being carbon neutral). Prices are much higher, but only because so many costs of the industrial production are externalised. That being said, if we would just let all the cows go onto grasslands, we'd see many ecosystems collapse, which happens everywhere we try large-scale monocultural food production, also with fishes etc. The same even applies to some large-scale industrialised biodynamic farms...

I’m pretty convinced through my self experimentation humans are meant to be primarily carnivores, with supplementation for micronutrients from vegetables and mushrooms. How that works in a world with too many people I have no idea, but I know it’s the best way for me. Living with a significant other who prefers variety though, and crazy rising food costs have kept me on a more mixed diet.
What recent research has shown is that we really can't generalise these things. A diet that works for someone could be the cause of all sorts of diseases for somebody else, and what is good for you at one point in your life might not be good at another. Humanity has seen cultures with all kinds of diets, and among those cultures that didn't deplete their lands within a few centuries, there's the whole range from diets that are mostly based on meats or fish to mostly (but not exclusively) vegan cultures. So as @Jovidah said, we're omnivores. What all of them have in common is that their diet was strictly local and seasonal, fresh, varied across the years both in variety and in amount, and that all these people spent a lot of time with food-related activities. Oh, and none of them were trying to extract as much profit as possible in as short as possible out of the grounds.

Unpopular Opinions....or Unpopular Discussions? 🤔

i've been secretly hoping this becomes the new covid thread. (half joking)

oops, secret's out.

unpopular (?) opinion: that thread got closed really abruptly and seemingly out of nowhere, and i think that was a mistake and possibly a disservice to the community. especially without explanation.

Last edited:
i've been secretly hoping this becomes the new covid thread. (half joking)

oops, secret's out.

unpopular (?) opinion: that thread got closed really abruptly and seemingly out of nowhere, and i think that was a mistake and possibly a disservice to the community. especially without explanation.
The reason was some hate speech, wasn’t it. Some jerk doesn’t believe that people deserve to be treated as people, right?

i see :(
i must have missed that. was it deleted?

still, why not just deal with the offender?

just like covid itself
FAD4EE3A-6EAF-4455-A259-2CD4A590E38F.gif

Not gonna lie I do like oatmilk. It does make coffee taste like oatmeal...but like good oatmeal. But still for me, hides the taste of coffee more than normal milk

Hmmmm, I love coffee and I love oatmilk.

I never thought about the combo tasking like oatmeal coffee though....

You've given me something to think about with tomorrow morning's cup.

☕

Hmmmm, I love coffee and I love oatmilk.

I never thought about the combo tasking like oatmeal coffee though....

You've given me something to think about with tomorrow morning's cup.

☕

While I don't drink coffee (but do drink oat milk to due to lactose intolerance), the wife loves one brands Barista Oatmilk, which is made for use in coffees and lattes.

https://earthsown.com/product/oat-barista/

The reason was some hate speech, wasn’t it. Some jerk doesn’t believe that people deserve to be treated as people, right?
When fresh water supplies are more scarce esp. if rising sea levels get into natural fresh water, we will be eating Soylent Green starving human population worldwide plentiful protein rich food supply.

i see :(
i must have missed that. was it deleted?

still, why not just deal with the offender?

Ya kinda agree. There was one person that was going on a rant about trans people, and then the thread was closed. It’s not like the thread was going amazing places — there was a lot of repetition in the discussion — but it was a good place to vent and connect about covid related stuff. RIP covid thread. Also RIP High Drama Thread, which was the best thread.

The longest living group of Americans are 7 day Adventist. Not just what they eat, low impact walking, giving more than taking, Spiritual like minded folks.

Many live to over 100 esp. women. Diet heavy on fresh fruits and vegetables. Nuts, whole grain breads, beans. Some are vegetarians others eat small amounts of meat. Eat a hardy breakfast, lunch like a king, dinner like a mouse.

We eat omelet, mostly protein frozen fruit smoothie for breakfast. Sometimes bowl of coaches oats with fresh fruit, cinnamon.

Lunch main meal salads dressing from scratch, Various Seafood, fresh fish, crab, shrimp, vegetable stir fry, Curries, cut down on rice smaller portion. Other stews ethnic dishes to mix it up.

At night just snack on plain popcorn, nuts. Greek yogurt no sugar or sweeteners.

Cut out most processed foods & sugar still eat whole grain breads, buns with Salmon burgers. Can't gain weight eating like this, not starving at all just don't eat heavy after lunch. That is key. And exercise. Stretch.
We are early 70's don't take any medication.
Still enjoy a beer or glass of wine. No more pakalolo only thing put in my lungs these days is the air that breathe.

Back