Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i just threw away several bags of old walnuts today. walnuts are pretty good though. pecans and pistachios are also good.

not a big fan of almonds. the almond industry is also hilarious.
cashews and brazil nuts also suck.

On the "Asian" note, there is no such thing as Singapore noodles, at least not where I'm from. We would much rather have something like this :D

(Chai tow kway 菜头粿 with chye poh 菜脯, char kway teow 炒粿條, oyster omelette 蚵煎).

Attachments

• 6E06C173-8353-47E9-A0D5-65441872B824.jpeg
    6E06C173-8353-47E9-A0D5-65441872B824.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 15561D94-76B1-4033-B1F1-9A4A194A5266.jpeg
    15561D94-76B1-4033-B1F1-9A4A194A5266.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 4DE8ED7C-1CF9-4FA8-811E-47BEFA60D0BF.jpeg
    4DE8ED7C-1CF9-4FA8-811E-47BEFA60D0BF.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Singaporean noodle, Yang Chow rice or Swiss chicken wings are all Cantonese or Hongkong inventions, making the dish sounds more exotic I guess. Funnily this happens alot in China and basically the whole world where dish named after certain places are not from that place at all, for example the all famous New Orleans chicken wing.

I know in France they're just pommes frites, and in Philly they're just cheesesteaks. So in Buffalo i suppose they're just wings and in Peking it's just duck…

To be fair, we are guilty of the same thing … in Hainan if you asked for Hainanese chicken rice you would get funny looks … here we call it 海南鸡饭 only because it was immigrants from Hainan who adapted 文昌雞 Wenchang chicken to the local scene.

That being said, both chicken and ketchup 膎汁 ultimately originate in Southeast Asia, so we should get the credit for that … too bad the Colonel doesn't care and neither do his millions of customers in this part of the world :upsidedownspin:

X to doubt on the ketchup story. Ketchup is really very different from ketjap (though the name might have originated from there), and tomatoes originally come from the Americas.

“Wok-inspired” is my favorite. Did the boss wave her hands over the recipe? And when you add “Asian sauce,” how many did you grind up to make it?

Singaporean noodle, Yang Chow rice or Swiss chicken wings are all Cantonese or Hongkong inventions, making the dish sounds more exotic I guess. Funnily this happens alot in China and basically the whole world where dish named after certain places are not from that place at all, for example the all famous New Orleans chicken wing.

I have been to the temple of "Swiss sauce" in Hong Kong, Tai Ping Koon, where I learned that the name was not to try to sound more exotic, but a linguistic misunderstanding. The sauce was described as "sweet sauce" to someone who misheard it as "Swiss sauce," and the legend was born.

BTW the famous pigeon dish was worth visiting for, but I found none of the other dishes particularly special, considering the amazing alternatives in that area.

A Peking story: On my only visit to Beijing, I was doing a lot of walking around. First I noticed that a lot of people had dogs, and were out walking them. Then I noticed that an awful lot of those dogs were of the same breed, that I sort of recognized, but could not come up with which one. Odd.

A couple of days later, it hit me like a smack on the forehead: they were Pekingese dogs.

i just threw away several bags of old walnuts today. walnuts are pretty good though. pecans and pistachios are also good.

not a big fan of almonds. the almond industry is also hilarious.
cashews and brazil nuts also suck.
Oak nuts are the best nuts.

PS. I am in no way liable for anyone who poisons themselves eating large amounts of acorns.

Oak nuts are the best nuts.

PS. I am in no way liable for anyone who poisons themselves eating large amounts of acorns.
Sure you meant to say pine nuts!

P.S. these can also cause pretty nasty poisoning and make few next meals taste like ****

I know in France they're just pommes frites, and in Philly they're just cheesesteaks. So in Buffalo i suppose they're just wings and in Peking it's just duck…

To be fair, we are guilty of the same thing … in Hainan if you asked for Hainanese chicken rice you would get funny looks … here we call it 海南鸡饭 only because it was immigrants from Hainan who adapted 文昌雞 Wenchang chicken to the local scene.

That being said, both chicken and ketchup 膎汁 ultimately originate in Southeast Asia, so we should get the credit for that … too bad the Colonel doesn't care and neither do his millions of customers in this part of the world :upsidedownspin:
On the colonel part, KFC is so much better outside US.

I really don’t get buying a knife because of the sharpener. How long does that edge last? Can you replicate it? If you can, shouldn’t you buy knives sharpened by Who Cares Because I’m Dope My Own Self?

Last edited:
I feel like I knew that, but it refuses to stick. I’m really hung up on that word.

I feel like I knew that, but it refuses to stick. I’m really hung up on that word.

Personally I don't get the hype around the smiths (the ones who don't do their own grinding at least). Those blanks that get sent off are far from being what they will be once ground. It's not the smith who imparts the blades most sought cutting characteristics, it's the person grinding the thing. That's where most of the work time and dexterity is required. Maybe it's just another marketing tactic? (Smith is more appealing than polisher/sharpener/grinder?) Though to the smiths credit, the quality of the heat treat is probably as relevant to the quality of the finished blade as the grind is.

Last edited:
Back