Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
only weirdos use Fahrenheit and Feet & Inches
You're not wrong, but Fahrenheit is a clearly superior system for describing weather. 0 = effing cold, 100 = effing hot, ten degree increments correspond to about how fine-grained people's intuitive perception of comfort is. If you're off the scale in either direction, go inside and try again tomorrow.

You're not wrong, but Fahrenheit is a clearly superior system for describing weather. 0 = effing cold, 100 = effing hot, ten degree increments correspond to about how fine-grained people's intuitive perception of comfort is. If you're off the scale in either direction, go inside and try again tomorrow.
Celsius is the same. 0 = effing cold. 100 = effing hot...

As an American who now works in science, I won't agree to weirdos but will wholeheartedly agree to the metric system. We were introduced to it when I was a young kid in school decades ago but that's about where it stopped.

There is a lot of entrenched, systemic stuff that would need to adjust like land plots and such and would take some time to fully adopt but I am convinced that it should be implemented so that in time, it will become second nature.

Weirdos? Unpopular. Concept? Shouldn't be.

Hang on. I'll grab a bit of Irish Whisky to toast solidarity.

:)
I wear the weirdo badge proudly. I mean, I spend an inordinate amount of time on a forum about kitchen knives. How weird is that?

Question for the forum's Canucks (or any others who drink Canadian whiskey eh): Any views on Lot 40 or Alberta Rye?

What’s next?—ten days in a week, numbered 1-10, because it’s too hard to remember Monday comes after Sunday?

Not only is the metric system boring, it is destructive to language. What’s a fifth in the metric system? Some stupid number—750ml.

Think about what we’re losing: Bushel, Barrel, Cubit, Furlong, Gill, Hogshead, League, Peck, Rod, …

What’s next?—ten days in a week, numbered 1-10, because it’s too hard to remember Monday comes after Sunday?

Not only is the metric system boring, it is destructive to language. What’s a fifth in the metric system? Some stupid number—750ml.

Think about what we’re losing: Bushel, Barrel, Cubit, Furlong, Gill, Hogshead, League, Peck, Rod, …
They almost did it
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Republican_calendar

:LOL:

What's a fifth? a fifth = 1/5 = 0.2. I don't know what you mean with 750ml, but that's clearly a bottle of wine. What does that say about me? :angel:

<pushes glasses up>
Metric units is better for some things (conveying precision measurements more clearly, calculating physics flavored calculus, embracing the base 10 system) and Imperial units is better for other things (conveying equal portions more clearly, giving "human scale" to most things, eschewing the base 10 system).

The only thing imperial units are better at is illustrating how persistent some ludicrously backwards and inferior systems can somehow remain in existance in even the most modern society, simply because 'it's what people are used to'.
That, and annoying the hell out of properly modernized people by having half the English language recipes in the world being in this silly archaic system.

<pushes glasses up>
Metric units is better for some things (conveying precision measurements more clearly, calculating physics flavored calculus, embracing the base 10 system) and Imperial units is better for other things (conveying equal portions more clearly, giving "human scale" to most things, eschewing the base 10 system).
I strongly disagree. There is absolutely nothing imperial units are better at. Nothing. Case closed :)

Question for the forum's Canucks (or any others who drink Canadian whiskey eh): Any views on Lot 40 or Alberta Rye?
I found Lot 40 quite inferior to other things at or below its price point, such as Sazerac rye or Rittenhouse Bottled in Bond. That may be a style preference, not sure.

I strongly disagree. There is absolutely nothing imperial units are better at. Nothing. Case closed :)
I've always wanted the USA to join the sensible world and transition to metric, a better system for sure—President Carter tried, sadly the actor fella that followed him put a stop to it.

Back