Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For home use never buy bulk curry powder it doesn't stand up to shelf life. Know this from experience.

Buy packets of Hawaii Ka'iulani Curry then add fresh ginger, garlic, tumeric, cinnamon, cloves. Love curries it's unpopular esp. in Hawaii but Japanese curry is my least favorite too blended smooth & sweet for my taste.

Like oily spicy Indian Lamb curry. Middle eastern & southeast Asian curries.
View attachment 233736

Oysters are underated most people I know won't eat them.
Haven't tried that one!
Hey, you'd love the spice shops in Little Pakistan—a short walk from where I live in Brooklyn. The boxed spices on the left, are what a lot of the restaurants (and home cooks) in the area use—good stuff.
Even though they come in a box, they still require a much cooking—often adding green chilies, caramelizing onion, chopping fenugreek leaves, using mustard oil, cooking for hours, or frying up spices, etc.
2CA4272F-6026-4392-8DE7-3DCBE18DF351.jpeg

Haven't tried that one!
Hey, you'd love the spice shops in Little Pakistan—a short walk from where I live in Brooklyn. The boxed spices on the left, are what a lot of the restaurants (and home cooks) in the area use—good stuff.
Even though they come in a box, they still require a much cooking—often adding green chilies, caramelizing onion, chopping fenugreek leaves, using mustard oil, cooking for hours, or frying up spices, etc.

One of the very few things I miss about living in cities is access to stores like this. I spend a few hundred dollars restocking my pantry at Asian and South Asian stores whenever I visit my parents.

One of the very few things I miss about living in cities is access to stores like this. I spend a few hundred dollars restocking my pantry at Asian and South Asian stores whenever I visit my parents.
Definite pros/cons of city life—the occasional being assaulted on streets (being serious), is balanced out with a vibrant food scene and access to ingredients.

I see you're in denial about your enjoyment of cake. Just accept it! Banana cake happens to be good cake. It's terrible bread though. Because it's cake, not bread.
I would classify it as more like a muffin than cake. But I've always thought (North American) muffins were closer to cakes than bread. English muffins are bread. But I already have a banana nut muffin on my menu so that would get too confusing. I also sometimes make banana bread pudding out of the banana (muffin) bread.

Katos are heinously overrated. I really enjoyed mine - felt special, good performance, nice grind, but didn't offer anything that I couldn't get for half the price or less somewhere else. Steel is middling, fit & finish was no good, had a geometry that wouldn't be straightforward to maintain over years of use. I'd say it was fairly priced at $600, but $1500... gimme a break. As a tool, the Kippington work pony I had in the same size at the same size was superior in every respect. I'd get a Mazaki hon-sanmai if I wanted something with that Sanjo flavor again.

Bill beat me to it. But I was just typing the same thing:

Artificial banana flavor actually comes from the old banana that succumbed to fungus. It was replaced by the Cavendish which doesn't taste like much.
I read in a book that the artificial banana flavor DOES taste like a banana; it’s just that nobody has eaten that particular banana in over 70 years. It died out due to bananas susceptibility to disease.
Very interesting, I did some search and seems there are still some of the OG bananas left, got track down some of these.

I also got the WH for much cheaper than recent pricing. Not sure I’d be making these statements at the $1500 price range
That's the thing, they are good knives and work for many, but at current prices 🤷‍♂️

I also prefer Marko workhorse to Yanick and to Kato standard, never tried workhorse. The Kipp I have is great and different enough from the others to make comparisons difficult. Depending on which Kipp you have preferences might vary. I've had a few Kipps and all were excellent in their own right, but all different enough that making blanket statements would be difficult for me.

x
That's the thing, they are good knives and work for many, but at current prices 🤷‍♂️

I also prefer Marko workhorse to Yanick and to Kato standard, never tried workhorse. The Kipp I have is great and different enough from the others to make comparisons difficult. Depending on which Kipp you have preferences might vary. I've had a few Kipps and all were excellent in their own right, but all different enough that making blanket statements would be difficult for me.
I prefer a stiff spine and my Kip came out a little long. So it was pretty flexy towards the tip which messed me up on push cutting with the front end.

I plan on getting a Marko soon as well.

Back