Unused gems

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like this hobby becsuse I can actually use the subject matter daily. Thats the fun of it.
It never crossed my mind to buy a kitchen knife and make a display out of it.

Please use your knives !

Knives can almost always be refinished by a professional
as long as you don't do stupd human tricks with them

enjoy.
I'm definitely going to use them now. I treat my knives with upmost respect. No stupid tricks here.

I still haven't used my Kato yanagi, the rest of my gems usually see the board within a couple days of arriving. Usually preceded by seeing the stones.

No stupid tricks here.

What in the hell stupid tricks are y'all talking about? Is there a sub-section of bad youtube cooking vids for this? "Idiot Chef Juggles 5 Doi's"? A sharpening idiot demonstrating how his new shig can now cut through a 2x4? I don't have cable guys... Don't bogart the schadenfreude vids.

What in the hell stupid tricks are y'all talking about? Is there a sub-section of bad youtube cooking vids for this? "Idiot Chef Juggles 5 Doi's"? A sharpening idiot demonstrating how his new shig can now cut through a 2x4? I don't have cable guys... Don't bogart the schadenfreude vids.
Lmao..I have no idea either. I just went with it. I dont even know any knife tricks

I'm guessing that tricks were involved:

IMGP0871.JPG

tumblr_m5f7qwKMAU1r1h3n2.jpg

MyAAEfd.jpg

My unused gems are mostly in the form of large rocks. I have more jnats than I'll ever need. Someone take some off my hands. Seriously, otherwise I'll likely be found at the bottom of a lake with a sack of stones tied around my ankles and have only myself (and my wife) to blame. ;)

My unused gems are mostly in the form of large rocks. I have more jnats than I'll ever need. Someone take some off my hands. Seriously, otherwise I'll likely be found at the bottom of a lake with a sack of stones tied around my ankles and have only myself (and my wife) to blame. ;)
I'd love to take some off your hands @tgfencer. Always wanted to try a natural stone.

And to use the tip of a petty to poke the holes in maple syrup cans.
Every knife I let my family use has a broken tip, every single one. I used to fix them, but now I just leave them that way. What's the point, they will break them anyway. So no one uses my nice knives, noone:mad: Once my kids made meltet sugar candies in a muffin tray, so of course they forgot to oil the tray. After the melted sugar solidified and stuck like crazy glue they used a few petties to pry them out and to break the candies into smaller pieces. Fortunately, only the knife tips broke and no one got hurt. My mother in-law took a 4.5 shun santoku made with SG2 core and used its tip to separate a solidly frozen block of hamburger meat. She basically used it as an ice pick, the tip has so many waves and deformations in it, that I don't know how to fix it at all... So cheap, sturdy knives for my family.

Well, to answer OP's question, almost ALL of my collection are un-used gems atm... We're doing a kitchen renovation... just have a few carter funayuki's to prep all of our meals for our single cooking option, an instantpot... I am SOOO looking forward to having a real kitchen again.

I'm guessing that tricks were involved:

IMGP0871.JPG
Shun's can go **** themselves. too many friends have given me the above pictures... If you're gonna market for the masses, make a knife that won't chip to hell when someone puts it through a dishwasher.

I’m guilty of a few unused gems. I have a Shigefusa that I wanted to change the western handle to something more special than the rosewood. It has sat for years. Then I have a Carter IP Damascus Gyuto that has gone unused. I was busy when I ordered it and it sat for a month then a similar Carter came around with specs closer to my liking and thus the first one has sat. I really need to get that Carter sold. It shouldn’t sit.

playero,I am speaking for myself only when I answer this question because everyone's financial situation and abilities are different. For me any knife over 700 dollars I consider expensive. That being said,I do own many knives that far exceed that amount..I just cant make those kinds of purchases on a regular basis. My wife and I are blessed in many ways. We both own our own businesses and have a lot (but not all) the same interests. My interest are chef knives and small bore o/u shotguns and hers are pistols and purses. Sorry,got a little side tracked there.

Thanks the question is to establish a base. I started with knives a while ago. After getting out of other hobbies. By far knives are the least expensive and best you can use them on a daily base. Maintenance almost free storage easy portability easy and best of all self satisfaction and enjoyment is super. I don’t lend my knives to nobody. My wives and sons each have their own so if they want to hammer frozen chicken I just ignore those times. I use mine all the time and enjoy using them some are free as found in my grandfathers farm to Kramer’s and other makers.

I’ve got quite a few I’ve never used apart from some test cuts....

Xerxes Custom Damascus San Mai K tip

Watanabe Jungle style slicer

Haburn W2 Honyaki

Toyama with Xerxes handle

Laseur integral petty

Dalman K tip Carbon Gyuto

Yoshikane SLD Dammy Hakata santoku

Billipp/Lefty Hybrid

Fowler W2 Honyaki with Laseur handle

Catchie 280 Honyaki (it’s not mine)

Haburn W2 Honyaki

Laseur integral petty

Billipp/Lefty Hybrid

Those are quite a few sitting on the sidelines. Is there a reason why? Just too many or like to save them?

Those are quite a few sitting on the sidelines. Is there a reason why? Just too many or like to save them?

I have quite a few yeah....

It’s not that I don’t like them but I somehow keep forgetting to rotate and during the week I use Tanaka Ginsan and Harner Parer almost exclusively.... so it’s basically one or two knives on the weekends.

I probably should sell more.... but I guess I have separation anxiety LOL

I have quite a few yeah....

It’s not that I don’t like them but I somehow keep forgetting to rotate and during the week I use Tanaka Ginsan and Harner Parer almost exclusively.... so it’s basically one or two knives on the weekends.

I probably should sell more.... but I guess I have separation anxiety LOL

I'm totally with you. For me, I keep reaching for the same knives. But I can't seem to let go of the ones that I don't need. So easy to store them away when I should be selling them. But I just never know when I might want to use it again.

Haburn W2 Honyaki

Laseur integral petty

Billipp/Lefty Hybrid

Whatchu waitin for, my man?!?!?!? :p

Back