Upcoming China visit. Anyone know the market there?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirk.S

Reaction score
I'll be in the Shanghai area for a week this October. I'm a probably lower intermediate-level home cook who is new to the world of Asian knives. I know that I want a cheap-ish Chinese cleaver, and have decided that instead of buying a CCK now, I'll wait and buy something in China. I'm hoping for a smaller stainless or semi-stainless cleaver for under $100 or even under $50 (considering buying a carbon steel one too to try it out). Does anyone have any recommendations for what to keep an eye out for while I'm there? Also, any other Chinese knives that a brand new knife enthusiast should keep his eye out for (stainless or not) while I'm there?

I've never hunted knives in Shanghai but in general a $100 cleaver would be rare in China. More like $50 tops. There are lots of regional brands and styles if you will be beyond Shanghai. The funny thing is I have never saw CCK knives outside Hong Kong. They may be too high priced for the rest of China.

There is a brand that has a knife shop ( or at least did when I visited a few years ago) in the shops surrounding the yu gardens in Shanghai. I believe they’re meant to be famous for their cleavers but I was only browsing as I already have a CCK cleaver, there are lots of tourist traps around there so be careful.

I would consider carefully buying knives in mainland China, the security when taking subways and trains usually involves an x ray machine, that sometimes includes getting into airport terminals before check in. I had a wok turner in my suitcase and they searched my bag, I’m pretty sure if it had been a knife they would have taken it (at best).

Hong Kong is very different with less security and better knife shops

The Shanghai airport security took 3 Thai jungle knives away from me but let me keep a large Chinese cleaver and a 10-inch Thai chef knife. Not sure what their standards are But I don't like dealing with Chinese police. Smile, anything they do is right and you have no recourse.

Oh, good to know! Maybe I'll just buy the CCK and not risk losing my knives to the Chinese police...

Oh, good to know! Maybe I'll just buy the CCK and not risk losing my knives to the Chinese police...
I suspect cck blows the average Chinese cleaver out of the water so you're probably much better off with that.

There has also been talk of Deng cleavers on AliExpress, they're much cheaper but with with much tougher fit and finish, it's probably a more typical mainland Chinese knife though - a functional tool not a beautiful object.

Deng/Dazu cleavers come in all ranges of quality. If you have time to hunt them down, some are very good work knives. I've been happy with mine that I found in Chengdu.

Latest posts

Back