Upgrading from Victorinox for the home (Chef's Knife)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wisew

Reaction score
Hey all! I'm new here.

So here's the deal - back in August, upon moving into my new place, I bought my first Chef's knife that wasn't, ahem, bought by my parents from an infomercial (I'd rather not say which one...) - a Victorinox / Forschner Fibrox 8" Chef's knife. It was by far the best knife I'd ever used at the time - sad but true. However, in the 8+ months since then I've come to realize that it's woefully inadequate for some tasks - cutting large winter squash (no matter how much force I put into it, the damn thing always gets stuck and I end up swinging around a giant squash like a club :whiteflag:), crushing garlic (the blade is a little wimpy to me...), to name a few. Also, it doesn't do a great job of holding an edge and it's never all that sharp.

So, I started looking into other knives, and it seemed like for what I wanted, a German knife was the way to go (ie. a big-ass knife that can crush squash). I figured that I should, worst case scenario, start with a good German knife for a more solid point of reference so that, if I found it to be lacking, I'd know to move onto Japanese knives.

After days of painstaking research, I settled on a Messermeister Meridian Elite 8" Chef's Knife for $99 (which made it a seemingly awesome deal!), and being quite satisfied, I pulled the trigger and ordered it.

Unfortunately, in the time since I ordered it, I discovered this forum. :dazed: And basically, I'm wondering if I made the right choice right now. (It's in transit right now so I haven't used it yet.)

United States

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Chef's knife, although if anyone has good suggestions for a paring knife too those would be welcome (I'm primarily looking for a chef's knife)

Are you right or left handed?
Right-handed

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
I'm looking for a comfortable, ergonomic handle (that is the one thing I love about the Victorinox Fibrox knives) - whatever style that happens to be.

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
8"

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
Yes. Maybe some day I'll be able to manage a non-stainless knife, but as a recent college grad living in his first apartment, I need something that's relatively low maintenance and durable, especially since my roommates share my kitchen gear and will probably screw it up at some point.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
Absolute maximum is $200, but ideally no more than $150.

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
General purpose, but some examples: cutting giant winter squash, crushing garlic, slicing, chopping and mincing vegetables and herbs, chopping nuts, and if somehow it were possible, cutting a coconut.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Victorinox Fibrox 8" Chef's Knife

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Pinch grip

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Drawing, Rocking, Walking

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Forged, sharper, better edge retention, thicker or stronger (whichever would help me power through those tough squash better), less food sticking would be a godsend. If it exists, I'd love a knife with a more comfortable handle than the Victorinox. In a nutshell, I would love a knife that would make prep work feel like less of a chore (or better yet, fun).

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
Damascus is intriguing to me because it's made me wonder if it creates tiny air pockets that would make food stick less - likewise, I'm very interested in hammered knives that retain the "bumpiness". As far as handle material goes I don't know, but I would like something as grippy as the Victorinox (hard to find - that really is the best thing about the Fibrox knives). I've also looked into granton edge knives but it seems like they aren't worth it? It must be stain and scratch resistant.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
The Victorinox is quite comfortable in my hand. If this could be improved though I'd be all for it.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
Out of the box sharpness is very important because I have 0 knife sharpening skills. Smoother rock chopping and drawing is always welcome, and better food release as I said already would be a godsend.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
As long as possible.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Yes (bamboo and cork)

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
No

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
Not yet

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
Honing steels yes, but nothing more involved than that.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
I want a very strong knife, but it absolutely cannot be prone to chipping.

So, what do you all think? Did I make a mistake with the Messermeister or should it meet my needs for now?

Welcome Wisew Sounds to me like you need a cleaver,medium size with a little weight behind it.You don't want a thin vegitable cleaver to swing around a giant squash or cutting coconuts.You don't have to spend a fortune for a Chinese cleaver that will make quick work of a squash.

To get a strong knife that will do everything is not realistic. Usually tough knives that will not chip are softer stainless steel that dull easy don't hold a very good edge.

The Messermeister Meridian Elite is not a bad blade it has decent steel.A little more refined that your Victorianox Fibrox which has decent steel also.

Any knife you get needs to be sharpened.A honing steel does not sharpen & Diamond steels will really mess up your edge over time.Sharpening pull throughs are OK but not as good as learning how to sharpen on a stone:)

If I could return the Messi with no harm/no foul, I would

There are a couple of excellent value knives I'd replace it with....Hiro G3, Hiro AS, the JCK CarbonNext, some others I'm sure.
I'd also recommend either the King 1k/6k or Norton 1k/4k combo stones (I'm showing my age with that Norton reference) and your Forschner is a great heavy duty knife to keep PLUS to learn to sharpen on - I have Forschners that are over 20 y.o. and still see daily use and abuse from the non knufe knuts in the house. And YOU can make any knife pron to chipping

BTW, if you pick up any of the knives I reco'd, and a stone, and walk away from this forum....you'll be head and shoulders above almost anybody in your family/neighborhood or town, and can save time and $$$$$'s

Welcome Wisew Sounds to me like you need a cleaver,medium size with a little weight behind it.You don't want a thin vegitable cleaver to swing around a giant squash or cutting coconuts.You don't have to spend a fortune for a Chinese cleaver that will make quick work of a squash.

To get a strong knife that will do everything is not realistic. Usually tough knives that will not chip are softer stainless steel that dull easy don't hold a very good edge.

The Messermeister Meridian Elite is not a bad blade it has decent steel.A little more refined that your Victorianox Fibrox which has decent steel also.

Any knife you get needs to be sharpened.A honing steel does not sharpen & Diamond steels will really mess up your edge over time.Sharpening pull throughs are OK but not as good as learning how to sharpen on a stone:)

Thanks!

Yup I'm definitely aware of the need for sharpening... I actually do have a manual pull-through sharpener that I've used on my Victorinox but I think it's mostly abused the edge instead of fixing it.

I'm just not in a place where I can learn to sharpen knives on a stone right now - I have too many things to learn right now (for work, and cooking in general for that matter) so sharpening technique just isn't enough of a priority. But maybe someone can convince me that it's not as difficult as it seems.

What I was planning on doing with the Messermeister at any rate was either using their knife sharpening program or finding a good sharpening service around me in CT. (This is essentially what I did with my guitars - entrust the tune-ups to a professional until I learn all their secrets. :bladesmith:)

Do you have any suggestions for a Chinese cleaver?

If I could return the Messi with no harm/no foul, I would

There are a couple of excellent value knives I'd replace it with....Hiro G3, Hiro AS, the JCK CarbonNext, some others I'm sure.
I'd also recommend either the King 1k/6k or Norton 1k/4k combo stones (I'm showing my age with that Norton reference) and your Forschner is a great heavy duty knife to keep PLUS to learn to sharpen on - I have Forschners that are over 20 y.o. and still see daily use and abuse from the non knufe knuts in the house. And YOU can make any knife pron to chipping

BTW, if you pick up any of the knives I reco'd, and a stone, and walk away from this forum....you'll be head and shoulders above almost anybody in your family/neighborhood or town, and can save time and $$$$$'s

Oh awesome, thanks! I'm definitely planning on keeping my Victorinox / Forschner, so I suppose this is the start of my collection. Is there any way to maintain those knives without a stone though? (I'm guessing no)

Is there any way to maintain those knives without a stone though? (I'm guessing no)
There are some other wasy including sandpaper and all kinds of strops for example, but they are probably not as easy to use and convenient as whetstones. Just a single combo stone would allow you to keep a very good edge on your knives. And you don't need to spend years learning maintaining your knives… even just a few sharpening sessions would get you basic experience.

I second the recommendation for a Chinese cleaver for the heavy-duty stuff. If you live in a large enough town, you'll have a local Asian market, and they'll have cleavers.

And, I've got to second the recommendation to get a stone. It is seriously not that hard to learn. Figure a couple of hours of working at it and seeing what does what and how to hold things etc. You won't be a great sharpener at the point, but you will have gotten the Forschner sharper than it probably is now, and then from that point on, that's just a baseline, it gets better from there. Your call, but it seems like that would be quicker than hunting down someone local to sharpen for you, once you factor in driving- and the fact that they'll likely screw up the knife anyway if they use power tools!

As far as a new knife- well, you certainly can get a better knife than what you've got. But if you sharpen the Forschner, it will be better than whatever else you might get after you use it for month or three, when it gets dull.

I would return the Messermeister unopened.

Toss that pull through & get a stone sending the knife out to get sharpened is more hassle than taking a little time to learn sharpening. You can get a King 1000 medium stone for around 25.00.As Mike said your Forschner is good for learning & it will work much better when it is sharp it is not a bad knife.

The Meridian is around the same quality as the Forschner so if you do not use it & return it, you will have coin to buy a stone.

Read An Edge in the Kitchen. That will get you well on your way.

I agree with previous posts; learning to sharpen whatever you have will put you head and shoulders above most home cooks. You can get lost in all the arcana of sharpening found here on the site, but buying a basic 1000 grit stone like the King and watching a few you tube videos will get you a passably sharp edge.

I like using a pastry scaper to crush garlic and move food once it's been cut. A lot of people use their knife this way, but I don't like scraping the edge, which can be problematic with some hard, thin edges.

I think I learned that from Edge in the Kitchen, which I will also recommend. He keeps it pretty simple, while hanging around here it's easy to come off thinking it has to be way more complicated than it really should.

Don't be intimidated by sharpening. The Forschner is a great knife to practice on. Using (and collecting) knives is good, but there's great satisfaction (and relaxation even) in the maintenance aspect as well.

This video demonstrates how simple sharpening can be:
[video=youtube;wSzq45W0LTk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSzq45W0LTk[/video]

I like using a pastry scaper to crush garlic and move food once it's been cut. A lot of people use their knife this way, but I don't like scraping the edge, which can be problematic with some hard, thin edges.

Well, just flip the knife over and scrape stuff with the back of the blade. Takes all of a tenth of a second.

Read An Edge in the Kitchen. That will get you well on your way.

I agree with previous posts; learning to sharpen whatever you have will put you head and shoulders above most home cooks. You can get lost in all the arcana of sharpening found here on the site, but buying a basic 1000 grit stone like the King and watching a few you tube videos will get you a passably sharp edge.

Thank you SO SO much for the book suggestion - I read through most of it last night and I feel infinitely more informed and better able to make solid decisions about cutlery.

Does anyone have suggestions for Chinese cleavers? My city really doesn't have many Asian markets around, unfortunately.

After reading through An Edge in the Kitchen, I've come to the conclusion that I will probably keep my new Messermeister, but I'll also be getting either a smooth steel honing rod or a ceramic honing rod (or both) and a sharpening stone (probably the King 1000? not sure). That said, I might send it back for the longer 9" knife instead - does anyone have experience with 9" knives? How do they compare in practice to 8" knives? What can you do with them that would be more cumbersome with an 8" knife? I'd go check some out in person but I don't have access to a car right now.

Update: I got the Messermeister today, and I realized that it wasn't quite what I was looking for.

So I'm trying something very different now - a Chinese cleaver! I'm getting the Messermeister Asian Precision 8" Chinese Cleaver made in Japan, which seems quite solid.

That cleaver will handle your squash,but not hard objects like bones.Well now you have a Forschner & a Cleaver you can learn to sharpen both

It seems like the chef/cleaver area is well covered so far, but if you're still considering a paring knife I would recommend one of Del's parers in aeb-l. Awesome little knife!

do you have a link for the paring knife? thanks !
It seems like the chef/cleaver area is well covered so far, but if you're still considering a paring knife I would recommend one of Del's parers in aeb-l. Awesome little knife!

Btw, if you ever find a knife on Amazon and think, "hey, maybe I'll save a few bucks on shipping this time!", I beg you, don't do it.

XKct3Doqion5OFl5nvqhB7hnDXv9iOewL57D1XJV9mY

That was how it looked when I opened up the box. Ended up ordering direct from Messermeister.

Back