Upgrading my hones.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure how you feel about the Shapton GlassStones but, imho, the GS #16000-grit is a real winner.

Cuts faster, polishes brighter and clearer than a SS10K, Kitayama or King G-1 (I own and use all of them just for kicks), and not super hard, either, they feel quite nice, again imo. BWJ can easily give a quote if you're interested.

I'm not ashamed to admit it, but I was once in love with this stone. And it wasn't just a 'physical' relationship, either. :D

BTW, my Smurf Poo (two sticks) arrived today - can't wait to rub it on some bovine leather. Might keep it in my pocket for awhile first (yes, I probably do need to seek counselling soon). harhar

Not sure how you feel about the Shapton GlassStones but, imho, the GS #16000-grit is a real winner.

Cuts faster, polishes brighter and clearer than a SS10K, Kitayama or King G-1 (I own and use all of them just for kicks), and not super hard, either, they feel quite nice, again imo. BWJ can easily give a quote if you're interested.

In my experience, the GS #16000 does create a very, very good edge. Better than nearly anything else I've tried.

But it's also one of the nastiest stones I've ever used. There are a few stones that I smile at, one I've laughed at (a mind blowingly good prototype), even fewer I curse at.

The GS #16K is one that I curse at. Every time I use it. I wish it'd never been created, just so I wouldn't need to have gotten one to suck-and-see with.

Sorry Seb, I think it's crap. And I'm being really nice about it.

Stu.

In my experience, the GS #16000 does create a very, very good edge. Better than nearly anything else I've tried.

But it's also one of the nastiest stones I've ever used. There are a few stones that I smile at, one I've laughed at (a mind blowingly good prototype), even fewer I curse at.

The GS #16K is one that I curse at. Every time I use it. I wish it'd never been created, just so I wouldn't need to have gotten one to suck-and-see with.

Sorry Seb, I think it's crap. And I'm being really nice about it.

Stu.

Sure, but would you care to elaborate on what, according to you, makes suck so hard?

IME, it's not that hard and it does give feedback (which are two of the most common whines I've heard about the GS series). It cuts ridiculously fast for its grit rating and it gives a shinier shine (in the right hands, of course) than the SuperStone 10K.

I should note that I fervently dislike the grey GS#8K (which I also own) because it is so damn hard it feels like a bathroom tile when you grind on it. But the 16K has an almost 'buttery' feel by comparison.

What's not to like?

PS: the GS#16K cuts faster than the King #6k (generic) that I am trying out at the moment.

It's not so much a case of hard or soft, but that it's just a PITA if you have more than the merest whisper of steel on it.

In order to get anything resembling good work out of it, I need to be very light with my touch, best if I leave some slurry on there (and I need to make some) and water on there is critical. The slightest amount, but not too little or it grabs, too much and it aquaplanes.

Where it's happy is such a tiny zone, and you need to put in more than a little bit of effort to get into that small area of decent performance, well, I suppose if I'd not used anything better I'd be pleased about it what it does because yes, it does make great edges.

You know I can't tell you what I prefer without making Dave unhappy. It gives a better edge I think, and it's a heck of a lot easier to get that edge. No fuss, no trouble, no special tricks. Heck, even a Shapton Pro 12K is easier to use than the GS 16K, and I'm not a huge fan of the Pro either.

Just how I see it. There's not many synthetic extremely high grit stones out there (past 10K) and there's only one I've used more than a few times that's actually nice to use. If the 16K wasn't such a right PITA, I might give it some more time and effort to milk the performance out of it, but I've got better, why not just use it?

Stu.

i dont see why everyones always going gaga over actual japanese water stones. Naniwa's are pretty expensive.
everyone at work that has stones (some just use a diamond steel and bench grinder :bashhead:) uses Norton Water stones. i have a 220/1k and 4k/8k stone, and they work AMAZINGLY well. they cut quick, they're bigger than most *** stones, and the 8k puts a mirror finish on the edge. they flatten quick too. gouging is moderate, nothing terrible.

My first stones were those exact Norton combo stones that you have. They are good stones (except the 220 is a joke of a coarse stone as it dishes like a bar of soap), but I much prefer my Naniwas and Bester for feel and speed. Use whatever you like best.

Latest posts

Back