used japanese knives.. which one shoul I buy?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryan sabayle

Reaction score
received_2761812437428476.jpeg
received_361429801936813.jpeg

I would back track a bit and start a thread about what you need and what your budget is. I never recommend buying a knife to make it work for you; seldom turns out well.

Mabuhay

Based on what's in the pic the Syodai looks like a cool find. It's more like a suji/gyuto hybrid but that's my fav shape. But that's me speaking as a hobbyist and someone who has more confidence now in thinning/reprofiling. If I just need something to work with and I'm on a budget I would stick with new Victorinox or Kiwi as others have suggested.

Mabuhay

Based on what's in the pic the Syodai looks like a cool find. It's more like a suji/gyuto hybrid but that's my fav shape. But that's me speaking as a hobbyist and someone who has more confidence now in thinning/reprofiling. If I just need something to work with and I'm on a budget I would stick with new Victorinox or Kiwi as others have suggested.
it also says misono on the other side of the syodai knife
received_351824649504357.jpeg

Are you sure it's no left-handed one, with an inverted geometry? (right side flat, left one convexed, edge off-centered to the right, instead of the 'normal' one — right side convexed, left one flat, edge off-centered to the left).
I'm asking because of the Misono logo on the left face.

Does anyone else think that steel looks wrong? And a what's the deal with the edge - is that a massively rolled edge? Everything about it screams fake to me.

If you simply must choose between these two I guess I'd pick the random kanji one, but why? These are not the only two knives on the planet, and just because they're Japanese doesn't mean they're high quality. I'd reevaluate your assumptions

View attachment 96547
this knife says syodai right? but on the other side of it, it says misono
If it's Misono, it could be a good grab for $30. Misono are well-known knives and good users. You'll probably have to thin it to get better performance, but there are plenty of thread here that discuss how to do that.

Does anyone else think that steel looks wrong? And a what's the deal with the edge - is that a massively rolled edge? Everything about it screams fake to me.
To me it just looks like pitting on the steel from age/wear. No doubt the knife has seen some use... New Misono have laser-etched logos. This one has the stamped "Misono" logo, which would be consistent with it being an older, worn one. It's weird that it's also etched "syodai" on the other side, but I'm seeing old not fake. Who knows, though, maybe there's a market for counterfeit Misono in this part of the world.

You're probably right and I'm being paranoid.. but still, that edge 😳 I don't think it's a trick of the light, if you follow the reflection of the bevel from the heel upwards. Even if it's legit, it's still an unspecified stainless from at least the 80s if not earlier - how good could it be?

Back