USPS Issue

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luuogle

Reaction score
I have an issue regarding the USPS and a package that includes one The Nine gyuto that was supposed to be delivered over two weeks ago. I have already contacted USPS and they don't know where it is the tracking for it still shows it is still out for final delivery and I have proof from Rob that it has already been delivered but haven't received it yet. I really don't think this is normal.

You should go in person to the post office and ask. They can pull up scan info with GPS coords there. Usually they can be helpful with trying to ask couriers if it slid under their seat or something

I have already went to the post office and asked about it unfortunately they have no idea where it is.

Sometimes a courier -- especially if it's a Contractor -- will indicate it was delivered but return it back to the Post Office they are based out of, to be delivered the next day or so. It is supposed to get rescanned at the PO that night, but it often does not. And the box can be somewhere off to the side so it doesn't get picked up to go out the next day

If you want to send me the tracking # in a DM I will see if I can get my sister to look it up, and possibly to call that PO and talk to the supervisor.

I have already went to the post office and asked about it unfortunately they have no idea where it is.
Did they look up the final scan for you? Is the proof Rob has from the courier he sent to? (I assume AUS post or something like that). FWIW if they are being unhelpful you can try looking at the USPS subreddit. Apparently it's allowed for employees to tell you the scan results. They might also know how you can escalate this.

Yeah I might have been lucky, but I think when I had this issue they immediately had me talk to the supervisor and he was on the ball about finding my package. Many of the lower level employees could not give a **** unfortunately

I had this issue and they had delivered it to the wrong house. Luckily that person brought it over to my house and gave it to me. It happened when I bought a coffee grinder off this site. It had my address on it but it was delivered to wrong address.

guess we all need house numbers with a QR code so these guys will need to scan it and get a red light and buzzer if they end up at the wrong place, deliveries at the wrong adress happen all the time where I live....multiple couriers.

guess we all need house numbers with a QR code so these guys will need to scan it and get a red light and buzzer if they end up at the wrong place, deliveries at the wrong adress happen all the time where I live....multiple couriers.
You would think the scanner could detect it and alert them. It's very common for me too, with the mistake usually being right house number, wrong street.

You would think the scanner could detect it and alert them. It's very common for me too, with the mistake usually being right house number, wrong street.
apparently not....in my case the street changes name in about 100 meters from my door, and the name it has there is not that different, to top things off, the same numbers have been used so we got to know the receivers of our parcels quite well.

Could you have porch pirates? I always offer to ship knives sig required. Once I had something scanned das delivered to my UPS mail box from USPS when the UPS store was closed. The driver scanned it as delivered and realized he had no access. Then delivered it the next day. This was not obvious to me from the tracking. But two weeks. That’s crazy.

As lot of it is contracted out so not so easy. FedEx ground is pretty much entirely contracted out. Little incentive to make good on mistakes after they happen but preventing them should be a no brainer.

Do you have an open incident ticket? If not I wouldn't expect them to be proactive. As others mentioned they can check gps data.

I have gotten a knife from Rob via USPS. He ships international exspress which automatically requires a signature on the receivers end. He switched from DHL because he was having big issues with them in his new location which is a lot more rural. Thankfully my package had no issues other than they gave me a pink slip and I had to pick it up from the post office since I wasn’t home to sign for it upon original delivery.

If it was shipped by Aus Post, check the tracking number on their website. Worked for me once.
I have already checked the tracking on the Aus post website does not give any more info than it was delivered.
Could you have porch pirates?
I don't suspect porch pirates since it is a pretty safe area.

I did open a case for it also seems weird that they can not tell me accurately where it was scanned last.

Have any of the knife makers here (@KAMON Knives, @DevinT , @HSC /// Knives @Troopah_Knives, @Andrei , and others) thought about including Air Tags or similar mini-gps/trackers with their knife packages given the frequency of mis-delivery? They aren't that expensive relative to a custom knife and there could be some sort of system where they get sent back to the maker after delivery.

No. In some 500 shipments I’ve only lost 2 deliveries and they were to apartment buildings and with USPS. This was in the early days.

If I want assurance, which I always do, I use a private courier. Never USPS. And always with a signature Confirmation

I realize we all have our opinions about the various carriers. UPS here from France provides the best value service. DHL provides the best and fastest service but is the costliest

No. In some 500 shipments I’ve only lost 2 deliveries and they were to apartment buildings and with USPS. This was in the early days.

If I want assurance, which I always do, I use a private courier. Never USPS. And always with a signature Confirmation

I realize we all have our opinions about the various carriers. UPS here from France provides the best value service. DHL provides the best and fastest service but is the costliest
DHL is the only carrier to not fail me yet. In fact 20 minutes ago I had a fedex delivery for a new laptop. Do these drivers not know everyone has cameras on their door now? He parked at my house for a minute and just drove off with the package marked as no one there to sign for it. Thought Fedex would be better but guess not

I work a LOT with couriers and the issue is that each have their own merit/quirk mix...some suck in a country/area where another courier is great. That and it's up to the very driver on the day of delivery. The only courier I have consistently be wow-ed by is World Courier, but you pay like three times as much so for private use they are probably too expensive to consider...they run into issues too but solve them and keep you informed, and that is the big difference with the regular couriers who do not seem to care at all.

Last edited:
Only times I've had issues with USPS is with cylinder packages as they can't scan the label so it gets shipped without scan updates. Unfortunately they tend to sit around until someone wants to take the time to manually process them.

Have any of the knife makers here (@KAMON Knives, @DevinT , @HSC /// Knives @Troopah_Knives, @Andrei , and others) thought about including Air Tags or similar mini-gps/trackers with their knife packages given the frequency of mis-delivery? They aren't that expensive relative to a custom knife and there could be some sort of system where they get sent back to the maker after delivery.
I have offered it recently for high end clients.

Back