USPS.....***

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, they were slip joint pocket knives. I was directed to this, indicating knives in general as restricted items. This was back in 2018.

wow, that's ****ing ridiculous.

were they still using private insurance companies? I had a computer get denied despite having a hand written letter from the courier saying they mishandled it by accident.

No, they were slip joint pocket knives. I was directed to this, indicating knives in general as restricted items. This was back in 2018.
I‘m sorry that happened to you but it is, in fact, incorrect. Your link sent you to the definition of “Knives and Sharp Instuments” as defined under USPS “Restricted Matter.” The only restriction on non-switchblade knives is that laws where you’re shipping to/from cannot have prohibited their shipping and that you properly package the knives as instructed here.

FedEx is the worse when purchasing anything internationally.
They want itemized custom declaration on every item on the item.

FedEx : "What's the marble made out of?"
Me : "Glass"
FedEx : "What's the glass made out of? Origin?"
Me : "The factory that is on the sticker, placed on the product..."
FedEx : "Sorry, we need this in writing from the shipper, not the recipient."
Me : " !@#!@#!%@%!^!$%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you've never been stationed overseas or worked and received mail on a base overseas, I have no pity for you.

1991. X-Ray machine goes down on Riyadh AB. Zero mail for weeks. All the time. Now, it was cool watching the EOD guys figure out how to blow corners off the crates containing aircraft parts but, ya know, I really wanted my peanut butter and jerky damnit! ;)

Been waitin' on a knife from Dan P. since 1/4/21. The frustrating part is that the last update was on 1/29/21 saying it departed Queens, NY (customs)...and I'm in Philly....which should only take a day. I opened a case only to be met with the same automated bulls**t, "sorry COVID". Then I opened a second case, stating exactly to not give me that automated bulls**t and I got an email telling me to forward the same email to the sender to open up a case....

It just makes you wonder if anyone that works there actually cares? (They don't.)

Been receiving and sending all knives with UPS to minimize headaches.

Been waitin' on a knife from Dan P. since 1/4/21. The frustrating part is that the last update was on 1/29/21 saying it departed Queens, NY (customs)...and I'm in Philly....which should only take a day. I opened a case only to be met with the same automated bulls**t, "sorry COVID". Then I opened a second case, stating exactly to not give me that automated bulls**t and I got an email telling me to forward the same email to the sender to open up a case....

It just makes you wonder if anyone that works there actually cares? (They don't.)

Using COVID as an excuse at this point is just plain nonsense.
There's been a massive amount of momentum with deliveries, Amazon went from 3-5 week delivery days down to 1-2 days now.

Their carriers are USPS and UPS - They ditched FedEx unless it's a third party seller.

I ordered a hammer from overseas...left customs but never got rechecked back in anywhere....lost for 2 months now,...trying to get a claim settlement...their form doesnt even have a lost box to check.. have to say damaged...they are in total disarray...
govt at its best...

ahhh damn. Where did the package originate from?

My oldest works for them in Baltimore. She found a room full of filled carts of mail. She told a supervisor. He shrugged.

She works in front of an elevator moving carts from A to B. There are three of them in her location. There should be two other coworkers. There. Are. Not. On the plus side(is it tho), nobody pressure her to hurry. She gets it done when she gets it done.

She feels like they’re amazingly understaffed. Regular workers v non regulars. Non regulars just don’t come to work if they don’t want to. No repercussions at all. It’s so weird. she gets to work as much as she wants, though. So there’s that.

I used to work for the USPS and I can tell you security wise the mail is much safer than in competitor facilities. The plants are lined everywhere with hallways with one-way mirrors that postal inspectors look through and put cameras and at the stations every letter or parcel that is handled a camera takes a picture of it every time it is scanned. The only time I have heard of mail being stolen is coupons or gift cards and those people are usually always caught because they will pull the security footage of who used it at whatever store. Also, the registered mail someone else mentioned is kept in the safe at stations and travels in locked cases during transit if you're really paranoid. Not saying its a perfect system or all the mail arrives in perfect condition (because it doesn't), but it is pretty safe and secure imo. That's my 2 cents.

I used to work for the USPS and I can tell you security wise the mail is much safer than in competitor facilities. The plants are lined everywhere with hallways with one-way mirrors that postal inspectors look through and put cameras and at the stations every letter or parcel that is handled a camera takes a picture of it every time it is scanned. The only time I have heard of mail being stolen is coupons or gift cards and those people are usually always caught because they will pull the security footage of who used it at whatever store. Also, the registered mail someone else mentioned is kept in the safe at stations and travels in locked cases during transit if you're really paranoid. Not saying its a perfect system or all the mail arrives in perfect condition (because it doesn't), but it is pretty safe and secure imo. That's my 2 cents.
Great. Now lets hope I get these packages. One is tracking fine and should arrive tomorrow, the other two haven't updated for a bit.

Received two out of the three packages thankfully. The one I reallllly want is still in the ether, "Departed Chicago" and haven't had a tracking update since Mar 26th. We'll see.

Received two out of the three packages thankfully. The one I reallllly want is still in the ether, "Departed Chicago" and haven't had a tracking update since Mar 26th. We'll see.

Pretty much every piece of mail I've had shipped USPS since the turn of the year (or really even last year) has not updated properly, despite the service or tracking purchased. That said, all have been delivered, so be patient because I don't expect it to change anytime soon unless someone in gov is forced to make real moves. Welcome to the old, but still new, normal.

Ordered a cleaver from Canada. CanadaPost received it on March 30 and it was on my doorstep April 5.

Maybe y'all's local PO just sucks.

Ordered a cleaver from Canada. CanadaPost received it on March 30 and it was on my doorstep April 5.

Maybe y'all's local PO just sucks.
I had one delivered fast CanadaPost to USPS but that was sent expedited. The other one is still in Limbo since March 16th.

If there were ever a governmental function that should be contracted out, it is the USPS. It is inefficient, loses billions of dollars, and its cost basis is out of whack. Contract out these services to private companies that actually have to make a profit.

If there were ever a governmental function that should be contracted out, it is the USPS. It is inefficient, loses billions of dollars, and its cost basis is out of whack. Contract out these services to private companies that actually have to make a profit.

I see you're back for round 2 of being demonstrably wrong:
https://about.usps.com/newsroom/nat...113-usps-reports-fiscal-year-2020-results.htm
the USPS costs taxpayer a handful of billions of dollars to maintain your constitutional right, while the pentagon, for example, is a 700 billion dollar black hole.

please exit your ideologically driven fantasy world and return to us in the land of reality.

yo my guy @daveb please enforce the no politics rules fairly and dont just let it slide because you agree with it. I mean unless youre gonna give me a free pass to unload on this guy for drinking two giant servings of dumbass juice in which case ok fair game.

1617671769632.png

I see you're back for round 2 of being demonstrably wrong:
https://about.usps.com/newsroom/nat...113-usps-reports-fiscal-year-2020-results.htm
the USPS costs taxpayer a handful of billions of dollars to maintain your constitutional right, while the pentagon, for example, is a 700 billion dollar black hole.

please exit your ideologically driven fantasy world and return to us in the land of reality.
This: “ In addition to setting aside $25 billion for USPS until September 2022, the 1,400-page bill would also forgive the Postal Service’s $11 billion debt to the Treasury Department and allow the agency to borrow another $15 billion. The bill would also eliminate a $3 billion annual borrowing limit for this line of credit from Treasury.” I guess the postal service is fiscally solid.

This: “ In addition to setting aside $25 billion for USPS until September 2022, the 1,400-page bill would also forgive the Postal Service’s $11 billion debt to the Treasury Department and allow the agency to borrow another $15 billion. The bill would also eliminate a $3 billion annual borrowing limit for this line of credit from Treasury.” I guess the postal service is fiscally solid.

yes, it is.

you are making the most disingenuously possible framing of the issue by suggesting these tiny numbers are a problem when every other government agency just takes taxpayer dollars and spends them.

besides on every other point you were materially wrong so the one thing you were technically right about is absolutely laughable in context.

please take your political ideology and kindly shove it all the way up your ass.

This from the USPS Inspector General:

"What the OIG Found

Even though infrastructure costs have been increasing and volumes are declining, the Postal Service has not met the majority of its service performance targets over the past five years.

Even so, 80 percent of respondents to the Postal Service’s FY 2018 Delivery Survey were satisfied with their mail and package delivery. This satisfaction rate is significant and may suggest that service performance targets are not always aligned with customer expectations."

Wow, wish I could be considered successful meeting none of my employers expectations.

This from the USPS Inspector General:

"What the OIG Found

Even though infrastructure costs have been increasing and volumes are declining, the Postal Service has not met the majority of its service performance targets over the past five years.

Even so, 80 percent of respondents to the Postal Service’s FY 2018 Delivery Survey were satisfied with their mail and package delivery. This satisfaction rate is significant and may suggest that service performance targets are not always aligned with customer expectations."

Wow, wish I could be considered successful meeting none of my employers expectations.
Technically, the US taxpayer is the employer of the USPS, so I'd say 80% isn't too bad.

With my limited reading on the subject, I have seen several articles that sight poorly negotiated union contracts along with high cost of pensions as a major factor in the USPS deficits. I have read, after calculating postal workers mean income and about 33% in benefits on top of that, they receive significantly more than the private sector.

I'm all for employees making as much as possible but if the company is failing and it has been for years now, it is time for some type of change.

It is only going to get worse for the USPS as the EPA have been implementing governmental mandates to reduce paper consumption requiring State and Local governments to implement paperless reporting.

Technically, the US taxpayer is the employer of the USPS, so I'd say 80% isn't too bad.
Not bad? No business could possibly operate under those conditions and survive, and that's what delivering the mail is. Its a business and it is failing. I would like the Biden administration to forgive my mortgage like they are doing for the postal system and then authorizing additional borrowing. I realize that the figures are in the low billions, but if we do not attempt to get some control over our spending we will be all be in a world of hurt.

I’m with you here but technically the US taxpayer doesn’t pay anything. We just elect the people that have been running USPS into the ground the last several decades.

Not bad? No business could possibly operate under those conditions and survive, and that's what delivering the mail is. Its a business and it is failing. I would like the Biden administration to forgive my mortgage like they are doing for the postal system and then authorizing additional borrowing. I realize that the figures are in the low billions, but if we do not attempt to get some control over our spending we will be all be in a world of hurt.

JFC just because you took high school econ doesnt mean you know anything. All youre doing is repeating the same wrong tropes that your lot have been repeating since the 80s.

The state is not a business, it's not a household. It's the state. You are absolutely clueless about everything going on here.

Back