Usuba Length

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

luuogle

Reaction score
I am wondering what the general size is for a usuba for general use is. Looking around sizes I have seen for usubas are around the 180mm to 210 mm. There are other sizes of usuba larger than the size range I have listed like a 240 mm usuba which I haven't seen too many of this size. Is this an issue with using a usuba that is hard to use due to size or is it something that has to do with the usefulness of the blade. Let me know your opinions and knowledge on the subject so I can know what size of usuba checks all the marks of usefulness in performance over the size, and how to pick out one that is at a proper size.

Reaction score
You can do most tasks with a 180mm. It’s a great size for home usuba use, but it’s also fine commercially too. It’s my preferred usuba size since I work in close quarters. Great for katsuramuki.

I see the kaiseki folks using 210mm more often. But then again, they tend to use an usuba with more versatility than other chefs.

Reaction score
it’s all depends on what vegetables do you work with the most. Cutting small veggies, pink lady radish, mushrooms, 180mm or less. Large onions, potato, small size daikon, 195mm-210mm. Large daikon, taro, kabocha pumpkin, 240mm will handle these large vegetables easily.

adam92

Reaction score
it’s all depends on what vegetables do you work with the most. Cutting small veggies, pink lady radish, mushrooms, 180mm or less. Large onions, potato, small size daikon, 195mm-210mm. Large daikon, taro, kabocha pumpkin, 240mm will handle these large vegetables easily.
I feel like using Usuba to cut pumpkin is kind of dangerous, have you tried before?

luuogle

Reaction score
I haven't used an usuba on a pumpkin since the edge is too delicate and fragile. Pumkin is too dense and hard to use a usuba on. Maybe a gyuto would be a better choice.

vk2109

Reaction score
180-195mm is good length. note that the Usuba has a machi (small gap between the handle and blade) and the usuba blade length is actually from tip to the handle and not the cutting edge length (same for yanagiba). So remember to remove approx 10mm..