Valgard's gear

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not new, but I used the handle that came with the nakiri (was way too big for the nakiri when I saw it in person) on my 240 WH gyuto.

IMG_20200720_090749.jpg
IMG_20200720_090726.jpg

The burning in of this one was fun, took me some time, and the tang had to be straightened before the install, but it came out nice and well aligned.

Last edited:
Few knives got new sayas and handles from Nicholas Fitzgerald (@common_trade on IG)

L-R:
Kato WH suji in red amboyna, ancient redgum Saya pin
Hiromoto Honyaki, Tassie blackwood Saya, compression koa and black g10 liners for the handle. Nickel silver handle and Saya pins.
Halcyonforge in spalted maple (handle original from Halcyonforge) and spalted maple Saya pin.
Raquin KT small gyuto in walnut burl with ancient redgum pins. Handle is unstabilized.
Shigefusa KU 180 nakiri, handle D shape in ancient redgum and thin copper spacer, Saya in redgum (toasted), pin from ancient redgum.

IMG_20200917_100004_674.jpg

IMG_20200917_100021_690.jpg
IMG_20200917_100040_606.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200917_100040_606.jpg
    IMG_20200917_100040_606.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 3
next to my favourite Natsuya
9e799105955c00d55f1cc5aef2ba5541.jpg
I've been admiring your favorite striped natsuya, knowing nothing about natural stones. How hard is it to find a stone like this, with the right hardness/fineness? How exactly is it used in your progression?

Beautiful sayas and handles man. If I could do burnt oak or chestnut for all my knives I would be good. Those are ridiculous.

I've been admiring your favorite striped natsuya, knowing nothing about natural stones. How hard is it to find a stone like this, with the right hardness/fineness? How exactly is it used in your progression?
Just like this, it's not easy, the combination of looks and how it behaves is rather hard to find. Just talking about the hardness and grit I think it's OK to find one as long as you give up on a specific look. As for how I use it, I rub steel on it xD. Usually after 3-4K synthetic as a "drop dwon"stone and before going to my Aizu.

Last edited:
Thanks, taking notes. Why after the 3-4K synthetic? I ask just because I thought this kind of mid grit is roughly in that range of synthetic?

Kato WH suji in red amboyna, ancient redgum Saya pin
Hiromoto Honyaki, Tassie blackwood Saya, compression koa and black g10 liners for the handle. Nickel silver handle and Saya pins.
Halcyonforge in spalted maple (handle original from Halcyonforge) and spalted maple Saya pin.
Raquin KT small gyuto in walnut burl with ancient redgum pins. Handle is unstabilized.
Shigefusa KU 180 nakiri, handle D shape in ancient redgum and thin copper spacer, Saya in redgum (toasted), pin from ancient redgum.

Nice collection! How do we know there are knives in there 🧐 ... For all we know, that could just be a collection of gorgeous handles and sayas stuck together... purportedly with 'unicorns' inside? 🤓

🤡🤡

Lovely work

Nice collection! How do we know there are knives in there 🧐 ... For all we know, that could just be a collection of gorgeous handles and sayas stuck together... purportedly with 'unicorns' inside? 🤓

🤡🤡

Lovely work
Would never happen, Carlos is beyond reproach

🤡🤡

Lovely work
Well, all the knives have been posted here before the woodwork for a focus on the blades 😉. This was all about the handles and saya 🙃

Back