Vanilla? Beans,extract,paste,homemade

Discussion in 'Whats Cooking? Food, Drink, & Gear' started by sudsy9977, Jan 14, 2020.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Jan 14, 2020 #1

sudsy9977

sudsy9977

sudsy9977

Founding Member

Ok guys. Vanilla is the topic. What is everyone using? It’s so crazy expensive these days. All opinions welcome. Anybody god forbid using imitation! Lol. Ryan

2. Jan 14, 2020 #2

McMan

McMan

McMan

I use bourbon as a replacement. Of course it’s not the same, but it’s a fair substitute.

You can make your own too—get a few good quality beans, scrape and add the pulp to vodka or 151 (or rum or bourbon or whiskey...). Put the shells in sugar to make vanilla sugar. Or save the shells for use in a sauce.

3. Jan 14, 2020 #3

chemicalstar

chemicalstar

chemicalstar

4. Jan 14, 2020 #4

Michi

Michi

Michi

Supporting Member

For extract, four beans per 250 ml. Split the beans lengthwise, cut in half (so they are half their full length), put into a 250 ml bottle, and cover with vodka (minimum 40% alcohol). Shake every few days; ready to use after about two months.

Question (I've never tried this): what about using vanilla-flavoured vodka instead of plain vodka? Would that increase flavour, or is that a bad idea? Maybe flavourings in the vodka could be artificial and might clash with the natural flavour? I simply don't know…

5. Jan 14, 2020 #5

tgfencer

tgfencer

tgfencer

Supporting Member

I probably wouldn't. It's highly unlikely that the vanilla used to flavor vodka is natural in anything but perhaps the most expensive bottles, and even if it is, its most likely not going to be the same quality as the beans/pods you've sourced. Probably better just to use more beans if you want more flavor.

6. Jan 14, 2020 #6

ian

ian

ian

Supporting Member

Hmmm. Maybe one could also Brita-filter the vodka before using it, since presumably you want a taste that's as neutral as possible?

Or just use bourbon. Yum.

7. Jan 14, 2020 #7

Michi

Michi

Michi

Supporting Member

Yes, make sense. The real thing is usually impossible to beat.

Draft saved Draft deleted