Veal Tangia with Preserved Lemons

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I went back and forth on posting this recipe. First of all, sorry, it's not that photogenic. No picture. Secondly, and even more bizarrely it requires like not one thing to be cut. You don't even really have to peel the garlic.

Stupid, I know.

But it was so good, I felt I just had to share it with you all, so here you go.

A Tangia is a tall Moroccan pot. I used a clay pot for this, but if you have something like a 3 quart saucepan with a good heavy lid or a smallish dutch oven, that would be ideal. You want the meat really packed in there. By the way, this recipe is originally from Marrakesh. Moroccan cooking is pretty regional, just like everywhere else. If you don't have preserved lemons they're stupid easy to make, and they take about a week to turn acceptable.

3 pounds boneless veal shoulder
1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
1 teaspoon salt
1.5 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ras el hanout
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
6 large garlic cloves, lightly crushed
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
6 quarters preserved lemon , rinsed
and quartered

1. Preheat the oven to 250°F. Cut the veal into large pieces, 2" cubes or so. Soak the saffron in ¼ cup warm water for 10 minutes.

2. Place all the ingredients in the pot; use a wooden spoon to mix them gently; then press them down to a compact mass. Cover with a round sheet of parchment (a cartouche!) and then a lid. Set in the oven and bake for 4 hours.

3. Let cool down; then pour the stew into a bowl.

4. Put the stew in the fridge overnight. Skim off the fat and reheat before serving.

kudos, again to Paula Wolfert. Helluva cook, helluva anthropologist. I just bought almost every cookbook the woman ever wrote.

ps- here's a different recipe, using lamb, but she's got great pictures of the pot, if this sort of thing appeals to you

https://marocmama.com/making-marrakechi-tangia-home/

I went back and forth on posting this recipe. First of all, sorry, it's not that photogenic. No picture. Secondly, and even more bizarrely it requires like not one thing to be cut. You don't even really have to peel the garlic.

Stupid, I know.

But it was so good, I felt I just had to share it with you all, so here you go.

A Tangia is a tall Moroccan pot. I used a clay pot for this, but if you have something like a 3 quart saucepan with a good heavy lid or a smallish dutch oven, that would be ideal. You want the meat really packed in there. By the way, this recipe is originally from Marrakesh. Moroccan cooking is pretty regional, just like everywhere else. If you don't have preserved lemons they're stupid easy to make, and they take about a week to turn acceptable.

3 pounds boneless veal shoulder
1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
1 teaspoon salt
1.5 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ras el hanout
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
6 large garlic cloves, lightly crushed
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
6 quarters preserved lemon , rinsed
and quartered

1. Preheat the oven to 250°F. Cut the veal into large pieces, 2" cubes or so. Soak the saffron in ¼ cup warm water for 10 minutes.

2. Place all the ingredients in the pot; use a wooden spoon to mix them gently; then press them down to a compact mass. Cover with a round sheet of parchment (a cartouche!) and then a lid. Set in the oven and bake for 4 hours.

3. Let cool down; then pour the stew into a bowl.

4. Put the stew in the fridge overnight. Skim off the fat and reheat before serving.

kudos, again to Paula Wolfert. Helluva cook, helluva anthropologist. I just bought almost every cookbook the woman ever wrote.

ps- here's a different recipe, using lamb, but she's got great pictures of the pot, if this sort of thing appeals to you

https://marocmama.com/making-marrakechi-tangia-home/

About the preserved lemons in the tangier recipe-

The whole rinsed off quarters with whatever pulp is still attached are used? I find other recipes where they use only the rind, or even the shaved off "zest" from rind.

I've never shaved the zest off the rind. Maybe somebody more obsessed with perfection and less frugal than I...

Thanks, it is going together with 5.5 lb. of venison "trim" meat right now!
20201125_172925.jpg

Thanks! And a happy Turkey Day to all-

I ended up cooking about 4.5 lb. of meat, a 1.5x recipe due to trimming away about 1 lb. of unappetizing looking stuff, thick tendons, excessive connective tissue and the waxy, stiff fat bodies white tail deer are prone to. Plus, I found in this bag of "saussage trim" some muscles which had been around this year's deer's broken right shoulder that had got severely bruised (I assume by a car strike). I removed those bits of traumatized meat, didn't look good with all the blood clots and bruising. I assume silver skin is OK for this kind of slow cookery, left most of that on the theory it will get cooked down to gelatin.

During the preserved lemons aging time, spent sitting on the counter at room temperature, it became apparent that this is NOT a fermentation process- No noticable amounts of gas bubbles were released in 3 weeks, nothing in there was generating CO2. So after removing the required lemon "quarters" for the tangia venison, I replaced the airlock with a plug and put a glass canning weight on the remaining lemons to hold them below the surface of the lemon juice/kosher salt brine and stored the jar in refrigerator.

I don't have a "Tangia" or similar pottery cooking vessel on hand so I am going to try cooking this batch of ersatz "Tangia" venison in the instant pot for 1 hour 15 minutes at regular pressure, then natural pressure release. It already smelled mouth watering as the air was venting before the pressure came up and the pot sealed...

(Edit)
Made oven roasted fennel bulbs with parmesan, black pepper, olive oil to go with the "tangia" venison. Had pita bread, probably not ethnically correct but good...

I have been told I should "make this again".

I can see veal being a very good fit with the spices & lemon too, if I ever find veal cheap enough!

20201125_182238.jpg

Last edited:
This looked good so I ordered the ras el hanout and then my oven crapped out.... anyway that’s finally fixed but with next to no saffron experience need a clarification. Assume the 1/4 cup of water the saffron soaks in is also added with rest of ingredients?

This looked good so I ordered the ras el hanout and then my oven crapped out.... anyway that’s finally fixed but with next to no saffron experience need a clarification. Assume the 1/4 cup of water the saffron soaks in is also added with rest of ingredients?

That is what I did, it seemed what was intended. It was interesting, trying to measure those loose little (worth more than Gold by weight!) saffron threads... I've rarely used saffron before myself.

The only change I intend to make to to the recipes I used will be to leave the salt out of my home made ras el hanout next time, as a good bit of salt came with the preserved lemon.

Now we're getting somewhere!

The first version of the ras el hanout mix, along with the unneeded salt, had several less ingredients than the "simplified" mix rickbern linked to above. See screen shot below for "easy ras el hanout mix".

20201223_095453.jpg

The AUTHENTIC VERSION with 30 ingredients mentioned in that article is just nuts.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/authentic-ras-el-hanout-recipe-2394931

The LA Times version is even simpler than the first (salty) version I tried.

20201223_103026.jpg

Im'a make another batch... I have everything for the mix in first screen shot except mace, will give that one a try.

Dug out the old ceramic lined slow cooker that got stored when the instantpot came into my life, If I start now, I can have this for dinner. Considering our weather, could be the high point of my day.

If there are 75 spice shops in a souk in Marrakech I guarantee you, there are 400 different versions of Ras al hanout floating around.

Here Bert, I love the idea of sending you out looking for culinary rose petals (pro tip-skip em)

RAS EL HANOUT Makes about 20g
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
1 teaspoon white peppercorns
1 teaspoon whole cloves
1 teaspoon caraway seeds
1 teaspoon aniseed
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
5g star anise
5g cardamom pods
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
5cm length of cinnamon stick
1 teaspoon dried rose petals
about 12 gratings of a whole nutmeg

Place all the ingredients, except the turmeric, cinnamon stick, dried rose petals and nutmeg, in a large, dry frying pan over a medium heat and toast for 4–5 minutes until fragrant. Transfer the toasted spices along with the turmeric, cinnamon stick, dried rose petals and nutmeg to a food processor or a spice or coffee grinder, breaking the cinnamon stick into smaller pieces if necessary to fit into the machine. Pulse or grind until the spices are finely ground. Pass the ground spice mix through a fine sieve, discarding what’s left in the sieve, and store the ras el hanout in a clean jar with a tight-fitting lid. Store in a cool, dark, dry place, such as your kitchen cupboard – it will keep for up to 3 years.

Back