"Vegetables harvest knife" by Sakai Mitsuo

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by CoteRotie, Jun 25, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Jun 25, 2019 #1

CoteRotie

CoteRotie

CoteRotie

Saw this recently: "Japanese white steel #2 Vegetables harvest knife 140mm by Sakai Mitsuo"

I'm unfamiliar with this type of knife and its exact use for harvesting vegetables. Does anyone have any background or history on this type of knife? Anyone familiar with Sakai Mitsuo?

harvest knife.PNG

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  2. Jun 25, 2019 #2

KenHash

KenHash

KenHash

There are knives sold as vegetable harvesting knives. 野菜収穫包丁(yasai shuukaku bouchou).
    The blade styles vary from those like yours, to those that look a bit like Nakikiris to even Bird Beak types. A few even look not so different from a Wa-gyuto. They are used as you would
    expect them, mainly to cut the stem. And other cutting chores while working in the field. Most are low cost, come with a sheath to wear on a belt in the field. Don't know anything about that brand name though.

Carl Kotte likes this.
  3. Jun 25, 2019 #3

CoteRotie

CoteRotie

CoteRotie

Thanks, @KenHash . This one looks very different from the western harvest knives I've seen, but it would be interesting to try it out in the garden. Looks like it might be tricky to sharpen because it looks like the edge goes all the way around. From what I can tell it looks like it's single bevel too, but it could be a wide double-bevel.

4. Jun 25, 2019 #4

Keith Sinclair

Keith Sinclair

Keith Sinclair

Supporting Member

Have seen harvesting lettuce, cabbage, other vegetables on NHK World with blades that look like a regular gyuto. Also seen Nakiri type blades. Some are carbon core stainless clad knives.

5. Jun 25, 2019 #5

Noodle Soup

Noodle Soup

Noodle Soup

I have one from Japan Woodworker but I have never gotten around to using it much in my garden It does seem well designed for cabbage and similar crops.