Vegetarian Christmas recipes

Discussion in 'Whats Cooking? Food, Drink, & Gear' started by minibatataman, Dec 9, 2018.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Dec 9, 2018 #1

minibatataman

minibatataman

minibatataman

Cooking Christmas dinner for my girlfriend's family. Turkey, two kinds of stuffing (pork and classic vegetarian) soup, salad. Very basic. But I want to add something vegetarian thats more substantial than stuffing and soup, to replace the turkey for the family members who don't eat meat. Any ideas?

2. Dec 9, 2018 #2

RDalman

RDalman

RDalman

Faux meat/turkey/ham might be something to have a look at, might be worth to ask ahead if that's something they like.
    If not then something tofu maybe.

3. Dec 9, 2018 #3

minibatataman

minibatataman

minibatataman

Yea exactly, even thought of using vegan sausage in the stuffing. My issue is what to do with the faux meat in general, don't want to just slap it on a dish haha

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    RDalman likes this.
  4. Dec 9, 2018 #4

Migraine

Migraine

Migraine

Girlfriend is Vege, she always has a nut roast for Christmas instead of the turkey.

5. Dec 9, 2018 #5

Mucho Bocho

Mucho Bocho

Mucho Bocho

Supporting Member

Nut roast huh? Cheers

Zweber12 likes this.
  6. Dec 9, 2018 #6

playero

playero

playero

Supporting Member

try a watermelon roast

7. Dec 9, 2018 #7

LostHighway

LostHighway

LostHighway

As a at least nominal vegetarian I feel like I ought to be able to offer some suggestions here but I'm basically of the bah humbug school when it comes to the holidays. Also, vegetarians are very far from monolithic in their tastes and preferences and I don't know your family. At least in my circle there isn't much interest in faux meat, per se, but their certainty are people who apparently really enjoy it. We also tend to focus more on multiple plates rather than a single main dish but in your context I'd probably be looking for recipes higher in umami ingredients (mushrooms, Shitake or other dark mushrooms especially, soy, tomatoes, potatoes, sweet potatoes, Bok Choy, Chinese/Korean/Nappa Cabbage, alliums, etc.) and fat (dairy, some cheese also provide umami, and eggs - these assume they aren't vegans).
    I tend to like Yotam Ottolenghi's recipes and you might find something in his books, on his website https://ottolenghi.co.uk/recipes or among his contributions to The Guardian' food writing https://www.theguardian.com/food/series/yotam-ottolenghi-recipes He isn't vegetarian but he does offer quite few vegetarian recipes.

mille162 likes this.
  8. Dec 9, 2018 #8

crockerculinary

crockerculinary

crockerculinary

i would recommend to skip the faux meat, just add in a couple more substantial veggie dishes that everyone can eat. something like roasted root vegetables, beets, or winter squash. i find these work great if you just roast them simply until tender, and then toss with a light vinaigrette or similar dressing and maybe some herbs. pasta/noodle dishes are also good additions.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  9. Dec 9, 2018 #9

parbaked

parbaked

parbaked

10. Dec 10, 2018 #10

rickbern

rickbern

rickbern

Supporting Member

Cauliflower is a good idea. If you have a good way to do it slicing them like steaks and grilling them looks pretty impressive

Angie likes this.
  11. Dec 10, 2018 #11

mille162

mille162

mille162

Roasted carnival (or acorn) squash. Cut in half, clean the inside, drizzle with olive oil, salt/pepper/rosemary/cayenne/ginger/spices of choice. A light maple syrup with nutmeg/cinnamon dusting is good too...or do one of each. Roast 375, 25-30 min, cut side up. Fill cavity with your stuffing and serve cut side down, or cut into quarters and serve cut side up overtop of another dish.

I like carnival over other options because the skin becomes edible, and when served cut side down mimics a cornish hen on the plate and the skin is colorful and is not unlike cutting into crispy animal flesh.

Keith Sinclair and Mucho Bocho like this.
  12. Dec 10, 2018 #12

minibatataman

minibatataman

minibatataman

A lot of good ideas
    Most of them I wanna try either way!

13. Dec 10, 2018 #13

WildBoar

WildBoar

WildBoar

Home cook, knife accumulator Founding Member Supporting Member

I have consulted with the head cook for the Korowai tribe of south-eastern Papua. He has several good recipes for vegetarians. His favorite consists of a long, slow braise with carrots, onions and potatoes. He indicated terroir plays heavily here, so it is best to cook them with ingredients local to where they were raised, and to wash them down with wine made from locally-sourced grapes. Also, he recommended avoiding pescatarians, as they reportedly taste like fish.

riba, Angie and Marek07 like this.
  14. Dec 10, 2018 #14

Badgertooth

Badgertooth

Badgertooth

He has a great recipe for swedes

15. Dec 10, 2018 #15

Badgertooth

Badgertooth

Badgertooth

- the biggest portobello mushrooms you can find, turned upside down and topped with butter, garlic and provolone or raclette or sharp crumbly aged English cheddar. Roasted until they are steaming, gooey cow-pats of umami love
    - forego the duck fat and do your roasties with olive oil
    - an indulgent, festive pilaf where you can riff on the crossover point between western Christmas confection and middle-eastern spicing (cinnamon, nuts, raisins, cloves etc)
    - a zippy, verdant platter of bitter leaves dressed with a palate-cleansing vinaigrette for all the fatigued palates
    - Another salad. It’s grape salad. Okay it’s grapes. Well more like the juice of a grape. The fermented juice of a grape. It’s wine.
    - take an orange, stuff it with 33 cloves, put it 1L of rum with 33 cubes of sugar. Place in a sterilised jar now and re-open on Christmas. Quietly unleash this hooligan-juice on your guests before ice-cream
    - pour them into bed

Marek07 and Mucho Bocho like this.
  16. Dec 10, 2018 #16

minibatataman

minibatataman

minibatataman

I was already thinking of doing something mushroom - based
    Also I'm middle eastern so the pilaf is a bit too everyday for me haha, it's good stuff
    Love the grape salad though :p

17. Dec 11, 2018 #17

panda

panda

panda

O.G.

Grilled balsamic marinated Portobello stuffed with roasted mushroom ragout (saute with butter some wild shrooms, spinach, shallots, sun dried tomato, garlic, pine nuts, fontina, deglaze red wine), herb bread crumbs on top
    With roasted butternut squash mousse underneath

minibatataman likes this.
  18. Dec 11, 2018 #18

refcast

refcast

refcast

Supporting Member

ratatouille:
    (1) eggplant, italian squash, onion, tomato,
    (2) in one pot, reduce down the tomatos. you can use those small grape tomatoes cuase they're sweeter. you can cut them before hand or crush them so they turn into sauce faster. never cover!
    (3) in a pan, brown the other ingredients. you want them to be browned so don't crowd the pan. after each batch is done, add to the tomato pot.
    (4) you're done when you've browned everything.
    (5) variations: use bell peppers too. zucchini. add garlic. maybe do squash too, but it tends to break down in to a sauce coatinig everything. either brown each vegetable separately or mix them all and brown assorted. depends how you like it. expect this to take 1 hr.

carmelized sweet potato rounds
    (1) cut them into rounds and add a tone of olive oil onto a sheet pan and add the rounds. bake at 400F until they turn golden, so may be 40 min. they leak sugar and turn mocha - ish.

sauteed kale or spinach with garlic
    (1) self explanatory

roasted king trumpet mushrooms
    (1) self explanatory. they get a super nice stuck on crust that is reminscent of meat. these mushrooms are quite textured and meat-like stiff instead of watery.

steamed tofu
    (1) not fancy at all, but it gets the dang job done. the best method is to put the tofu on a plate over a spacer over a water bath. this way there is only indirect and more even steam. wok steaming uses this stuff.

butter bananas
    (1) cook bananas in butter. good for dessert, if you needed something more savory

even as a non vegetarian, if i had this for dinner, with rice or with a potato, i'd be good.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    Keith Sinclair likes this.
  19. Dec 11, 2018 #19

Chef Doom

Chef Doom

Chef Doom

I have been working on the perfect recipe for cooking vegetarians. The hard part is fattening them up before slaughter. Humans don't pack on weight as quickly as your standard domesticated animal.

minibatataman likes this.
  20. Dec 11, 2018 #20

JoBone

JoBone

JoBone

I’ve been a vegetarian for 30 years and Christmas was never a problem. Growing up of Italian descent, we always had a cheese lasagna for the holiday. It’s a standard in our home up to this year. If you want vegan, you can go with Aglio Et Olio

There’s been a few years that we deviated with a cheese/nut loaf, mash potatoes with shiitake gravey, green beans, brussel sprouts...

We did tofurkey roast one year, it’s easy and may go with your other items.

21. Dec 11, 2018 #21

SeattleBen

SeattleBen

SeattleBen

Supporting Member

It seems that there's a lack of beans being suggested here. Some sort of bean plus bitter green braise is filling plus healthy as well as being a fairly blank canvas on which to work flavorwise.

22. Dec 11, 2018 #22

WildBoar

WildBoar

WildBoar

Home cook, knife accumulator Founding Member Supporting Member

Especially when they will only eat vegetables...

23. Dec 11, 2018 #23

parbaked

parbaked

parbaked

Can't you fatten them up on nuts...same as pigs?

24. Dec 11, 2018 #24

panda

panda

panda

O.G.

make them eat nothing but acorns like iberico pigs

25. Dec 11, 2018 #25

LostHighway

LostHighway

LostHighway

Well first of all you have to go with confinement feeding like veal. A recliner and a television will keep them from getting anxious and possibly injuring themselves. The nice thing about vegetarians is you don't get those off flavors and odors that often accompany carnivores, especially those that have had a steady diet of fast food burgers.

Angie likes this.
  26. Dec 12, 2018 #26

Chef Doom

Chef Doom

Chef Doom

Tried mixing a lot of coconut oil. Only curbs the appetite. I'm working on legislation to reverse the anti-force feeding laws.

27. Dec 12, 2018 #27

Chef Doom

Chef Doom

Chef Doom

Those odors pack extra flavor. Vegetarian based fat doesn't have that Umami flavor I crave.

28. Dec 12, 2018 #28

Moooza

Moooza

Moooza

Supporting Member

Vegans/vegetarians are generally always given mushrooms, vegie stack or poorly done tofu - we get very sick of it. I recommend trying something different. Jamie Oliver has some really great vegetarian recipes on his website. Check it out

29. Dec 12, 2018 #29

Chef Doom

Chef Doom

Chef Doom

Humans don't process acorns the same. Laziness with over eating equal mixture of fat and sugar is key. Limit raw vegetables as much as possible and cook all vegetables with bacon grease.

But with these new cage laws, it is very difficult to promote growth. Movement is anti fat.

30. Dec 12, 2018 #30

LostHighway

LostHighway

LostHighway

Perhaps some sort of modest proposal could address some of our burgeoning social problems and our dietary needs?