Versatile knife thread

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexec

Reaction score
No need to say much.
I am actively consulting in a very tiny kitchen, doesnt even fits a second person on the peak hour. Its a morning venue, mostly breakfast, a little lunch. The concept requires prep to be done as soon as the order comes. Besides sauces, condiments,batters and relishes, everything else has to be cut as the order process.
Long story short, I need a knife that I do not need to look after every minute, but stays sharp for a little while. Not fragile enough to be at risk while in that tiny space.
Please and thanks.

Tojiro dp 180mm gyuto or similar, or even better an ashi 180mm stainless gyuto.
The latter one works very well with a dick micro polishing rod, so you can keep it sharp for a long time without much hassle...

Or maybe something even more simple, robust and tough like a small victorinox or dick pro dynamic. It all depends on what kind of care the knives will be treated with. A softer robust knife is probably the safest bet and not as expensive.

Last edited:
I'd agree with those who said Gesshin Ginga or Ashi 180mm stainless Gyuto. Some people may not like the food release since these are laser-like, but I prefer thinner knives.

Also, if you do not mind the rustic finish, than look for a 165 Zakuri funayuki. You should be able to find one for around $100. Hard to beat value wise. HT of the blue 2 is great too.

Back