VG-10 PITA

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rahimlee54

Founding Member
Reaction score
:soapbox:

VG 10 is a pita to sharpen and carbon is not. That is all.

Thanks
Jared

Try so hard every time I use a VG-10 knfie to like it. But the thought of sharpening it makes me sad. I end up donating it to my parents. They don't complain.

I've found it very hard to give away my VG-10. Nobody wanted it.

Once I put a good edge on my Hattori FH, I haven't had problems with it. I tend to beat up that knife a little bit and it comes back nicely.

I haven't liked VG10 either, but strangely enough, VG1 is pretty nice. It's still chippy, but it doesn't feel as dead as VG10.
Obviously, nothing compares to carbon. Pierre's S35VN is really nice for a stainless, though, and it feels a bit like Misono carbon on the stones.

:soapbox:

VG 10 is a pita to sharpen and carbon is not. That is all.

Rahimlee54,
I would love to try and sharpen VG-10. I have never had any exposure to it. All I have ever worked with is CPM S30V and S35VN so if you would like me to take a try at it just send it to me and I'll do my best with it and send it back. Please consider my propostion as a free sharpening service to you and a learning expereince for me.

THANKS,
PZ

I assume you sharpen by hand? My FH-7 tidies up quite well on the slack belts.

I've never had any problems with VG10, it takes me about the same amount of time to sharpen it as all my other knives

Ditto. This is my home workhorse...touches up quite easily...FYI I use an EdgePro.....

Once I put a good edge on my Hattori FH, I haven't had problems with it. I tend to beat up that knife a little bit and it comes back nicely.

Don't look for a very refined edge. Chosera 800, strop and deburr on Chosera 2000, 3 strokes on leather, DONE. A great steel for those who use their knives in the kitchen.

I've been happy with VG-10 on 3 Tanaka and Hattori knives.

Bit of chipping on the petty, but the others have been a-ok. Didn't notice anything particularly negative about them when sharpening - but then I haven't sharpened them much in comparison to the rather more numerous carbons competing for attention.

I have a number of knives in VG10 including a cleaver, never had a problem with them. Now one tip is don't sharpen them with less than a 10 to 12 deg. bevel per side otherwise they might chip. Other than that they sharpen up pretty easily for me and hold the edge good over time. It is still among my favorite Stainless steels for a knife.

try sharpening cpm 154 thats a pain, theres a reason why i own pretty much all carbon

I got a decent edge on it for me, but I had to work harder to get the same level on it as with the two carbon knives I was sharpening. CrO and Daves Diamond on felt made it better though.

I only have 2 knives in vg10 and they are at opposite ends of the spectrum: a parer and a meat/bone cleaver.

The cleaver had a fat convex grind bit i actually thinned the edge a bit by putting a (still very obtuse) primary V bevel on it. It improved performance a lot, its still pretty invincible, and I never had a problem with a bur (Im guessing because the angle is so high, maybe >25deg)

However, the parer was a bit trickier. Both edge durability and bur removal where problems at <15deg. This made it a great candidate for a very acute convex edge:
a started by using my edge pro to pit a really extreme compound bevel on it: ground first to <5deg and then a <10deg micro bevel.
Then, used high grit w/d sandpaper backed w/ firm mouse pad to blend the primary and 2ndary edges together and into the rest of the blade. Final sand paper was worn 2k and then i polished more on semi-hard stops loaded with 2micron down to .25. I never de-burred; what didn't come off when convexing was polished away when stropping.
The end result works really well, hasnt chipped, and is easily maintainable on the strops.

For me, vg10 was a cheaper way to gain skills for dealing with more expensive and even more PITA steels like cm&cpm 154, s3Xv, zdp189.

Back