Victrinox Boning knife Help

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big D

Reaction score
U.S.A.

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chefs knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Boning

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Western

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
6 in.

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
yes

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
super cheap which is why a Vic

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
boning mainly chickens, probably a yearly turkey, perhaps a ham shank. Fish is highly doubtful.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
none

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Probably hammer, perhaps finger on spine, > open to other suggestions

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Boning - slicing?

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
All around for task
Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
Primary is about blade style

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
n/a

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
n/a

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
wood rubber
Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
she is learning

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.) ---

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
she has them

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENT
Setting my daughter up and realized she will need a boning knife so she doesn't destroy the others I have purchased for her.
Since the pros in here are always talking about Victrinox I went looking and found -

flexible, semi flexible, semi stiff, stiff
straight, semi curved, curved
thin, regular, wide, extra wide

Personally I am use to stiff, but really clueless about the pros and cons of everything listed above.
Also with everything else she will need for a new apartment pretty much breaking the bank or I would just get her a pair or three.
Suggestions or explanations on the above varieties please.
Educate/Direct me please
thanks
D

https://askthemeatcutter.com/collec...ucts/forschner-victorinox-5-inch-boning-knife
The explanation in the link is pretty good, that might help.

Otherwise I would recommend a straight knife for a beginner and not too long. Since the main thing is chicken, a stiff one would be ok in my opinion (I'm just a home cook), I for myself prefer stiff.

Buy her both versions, then she can find out which one suits her better.

For chickens, turkeys, and deboning hams, stiff ones are the way to go.

@KingShapton
Thanks. The site I was looking pretty much says the same on most of them. Thought the 6 in, may be nicer for larger stuff. The 5 in. has less options but perhaps may be better. She isn't 100% new, just still developing. Think I should have written narrow instead of thin, but reading your link just made me realize that narrow, would allow easier turning of the blade to follow the curve of a bone.
Thanks King
edited - grammer

I've been using a 6-inch, straight flex for the last several years. Completely happy with it. Among other things it has helped process my last 4 or 5 deer. But being a knife guy, I use a traditional single bevel Japanese style poultry knife for chicken work.

Last edited:
Allready said, for the "flying" meats stiff is always better (at least for sharpening!). Really look for a cheap deba for this tasks. No Honesuki and especially no western boner works better.

SirCutALot

Allready said, for the "flying" meats stiff is always better (at least for sharpening!). Really look for a cheap deba for this tasks. No Honesuki and especially no western boner works better.

SirCutALot
Now this is interesting. Awhile back I was in here inquiring about Honesuki's which led to Garusuki;s since I do number of those. A bit torn but leaning towards very very slightly honesuki, I called the merchant and when I inquired between two of them, I was asked what I was going to do with them. Chickens, Turkeys. I was told don't buy a honesuki they are for mostly fish and that I should get a garasuki if I wanted to debone/break down fowl??????????????? If I recall correctly is was about the garasuki being capable of handling small bones. I this the case with a deba? Right now I need cheap, and for meat so vic it is, But a deba may be something for me to explore at a later date. Any suggestions on size , or anything special to look for in a deba?
Thanks
D.

@Bear
thanks bear - looks like stiff it is. Really never understood an advantage for flexible.

Now this is interesting. Awhile back I was in here inquiring about Honesuki's which led to Garusuki;s since I do number of those. A bit torn but leaning towards very very slightly honesuki, I called the merchant and when I inquired between two of them, I was asked what I was going to do with them. Chickens, Turkeys. I was told don't buy a honesuki they are for mostly fish and that I should get a garasuki if I wanted to debone/break down fowl??????????????? If I recall correctly is was about the garasuki being capable of handling small bones. I this the case with a deba? Right now I need cheap, and for meat so vic it is, But a deba may be something for me to explore at a later date. Any suggestions on size , or anything special to look for in a deba?
Thanks
D.

@Bear
thanks bear - looks like stiff it is. Really never understood an advantage for flexible.

Apparently I'm in a minority here but I feel flex works better cutting around bones. Before my Vic I used a straight, flex F. Dick until I basically wore it out. Hundreds of fish, several dozen of deer, a couple of elk and a couple more beef cattle. I would say a 5-inch is probably better if poultry is the main target.

Debas are awful poultry knives. Garasuki are overkill unless you’re mainly working on turkeys or are going through hundreds of large chickens. Honesuki are what you want for deboning chicken. If you want to cut through bones, none of these are good choices, but you can turn the blade over and crack things like the end of the drumstick if you need to.

Western debas can be good for portioning bone in birds for fried chicken or whatever. But they’re not boning knives.

Debas are awful poultry knives. Garasuki are overkill unless you’re mainly working on turkeys or are going through hundreds of large chickens. Honesuki are what you want for deboning chicken. If you want to cut through bones, none of these are good choices, but you can turn the blade over and crack things like the end of the drumstick if you need to.

Sorry i don`t read the most usefull information.. (no fish :D )

I do think that an small deba work perfekt on poultry, and fish too. Much better then the asked VIC`s. But this is only me.

@KingShapton you know Peter ? Nice guy he is. For your inquiery i think there are very much chefs using deba for nearly anything in fish and meat butchery.

SirCutALot

Back